Slight juddering / stuttering of video for material recorded from HD television.
Hi,

I have Kodi 17.1 installed on a 2017 NVidia Shield and having a slight problem with content recorded from HD television (e.g. BBC1 HD) via TVHeadEnd installed on a Raspberry Pi 2 (via a PCTV 292e USB tuner). This content gets recorded directly to an NFS share on a Synology NAS.

When playing the recorded content on the NVidia Shield from the NFS share, I get slight juddering of video and audio sync loss every once in a while. This could last for 15 to 30 seconds before disappearing and playing smoothly again.

The thing is that when I play the same MKV on my PC from the NFS share, playback is smooth.

It's confusing though, because all other content I play on the NVidia Shield plays smoothly... It's only the content that I recorded from HD television has this slight problem.

Before I go posting logs etc, thought I would ask if anyone has had a similar problem like this?

Cheers

Will.
Maybe some TVHeadend issue, there has been tons of those in the past. On the other hand there has also been a lot of Android related video playback issues and the fact that your PC does not show this issue points in that direction.
can you share a recoring and maybe someone with a Shield can try vpupdated branch on it.
(2017-05-05, 16:39)FernetMenta Wrote: Maybe some TVHeadend issue, there has been tons of those in the past. On the other hand there has also been a lot of Android related video playback issues and the fact that your PC does not show this issue points in that direction.
can you share a recoring and maybe someone with a Shield can try vpupdated branch on it.

Thanks very much FernetMenta...

I tried one more thing before persuing further investigation, and it seems to have had a positive impact.

I modified my advanced settings, which now look like this:

<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>1</loglevel> <!-- Change this to "1" to hide the on-screen debug log text -->
<fanartres>2160</fanartres>
<imageres>2160</imageres>
<cache>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<memorysize>139460608</memorysize>
<readfactor>20</readfactor>
</cache>
</advancedsettings>

The bit I added was this:

<cache>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<memorysize>139460608</memorysize>
<readfactor>20</readfactor>
</cache>

I watched a BBC HD recorded TV program today, and didn't notice any stuttering.

Hopefully it's fixed, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks.

Will.
We increased the chunks for NFS heavily in v18. Mind testing the notsoshitty build on the test mirrors for NFS playback, without the av.xml?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-05-06, 08:22)fritsch Wrote: We increased the chunks for NFS heavily in v18. Mind testing the notsoshitty build on the test mirrors for NFS playback, without the av.xml?

Thanks fritsch.

After a little more checking, I notice that I still got stutters from the file after changing the Kodi buffer settings, so it wasn't that.

I decided to think about this a little more, and then realised that although I'm playing the stream from the Synology NAS NFS share on the Shield TV, it would still be shared in the first instance from the Raspberry Pi and then use the mounted NFS drive on there to play/record files (using the PVR on Kodi).

For some reason, I thought that Kodi would be picking up the recorded files directly from the NAS...

So I was thinking now, maybe the bottleneck is the Raspberry Pi.

This is when I found this to setup the NFS share on the Pi at full speed, and this person had the same problems with 1080p:

https://lucatnt.com/2013/09/avoid-stutte...pberry-pi/

So, basically, the NFS mount on the Pi (running TVHeadEnd) should look like this:

mount -t nfs 192.168.1.77:/multimedia /thor nfs udp,noatime,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,nolock,nfsvers=3 0 0

I actually used this in the autostart.sh because I'm using LibreElec:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 25
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.77:/multimedia /thor -o udp,noatime,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,nolock,nfsvers=3

I've tested this and the recordings seem much better already. The stream takes a second or two to start moving, but there is no longer any stuttering that would always occur for 5 to 10 seconds at the start of every stream.

I'll keep testing and report back with some definite results!

Cheers

Will
If you tried my build post a log with it, please.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-05-10, 20:14)fritsch Wrote: If you tried my build post a log with it, please.

Not tried it yet...

Could I ask if v18 can co-exist with v17.1 on a Shield TV? Do I just sideload it? I assume the build you mention what is available within the 'Development Build' area on the Kodi website?

Thanks

Will.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slight juddering / stuttering of video for material recorded from HD television.0