The BEST KODI box at the moment? (4K, HDR, HD Audio, TV Upscale)
which hardware do you recommend to run smooth 4k video with Auto resolution Switching? I do not care much about netflix 4k as my smart tv work fine for that.

I'm looking a good/cheap hardware to run my fullhd movies/tvshows and 4k in the future with audio HD passthrough

In the past I tested an intel NUC but it did not have proper drivers to audio passthrough

thanks
Basically stay away from Android due to no Auto resolution switching.

THIS POST has all the answers you need for your requirements.

TIP: A Wireless remote like the plug and play MINIX A2 Lite makes a hell of a difference to any Kodi media player's responsiveness.
Installing LibreELEC Kodi Kryton to internal eMMC Flash memory makes for one snappy little box too Smile

BTW: Current AMLogic Linux specific Nougat Kernel testing includes finalising support for 4K HDR10 on AMLogic S905X/S912 LibreELEC devices.

(2017-06-14, 10:37)wrxtasy Wrote: Basically stay away from Android due to no Auto resolution switching.

THIS POST has all the answers you need for your requirements.

TIP: A Wireless remote like the plug and play MINIX A2 Lite makes a hell of a difference to any Kodi media player's responsiveness.
Installing LibreELEC Kodi Kryton to internal eMMC Flash memory makes for one snappy little box too Smile

BTW: Current AMLogic Linux specific Nougat Kernel testing includes finalising support for 4K HDR10 on AMLogic S905X/S912 LibreELEC devices.

thanks, it has been really helpful. After reading the post mentioned, vero 4k seems like a good option but I'm from Spain and I can buy a wetek core (not in the list of wetek recommened devices) directly from amazon.es at the same price as vero 4k (website price). Can I install librelec in wetek core too? or should I buy the play2 or hub? In any case, which one do you think it´s better vero or wetek?

on the other hand, is there any known issue of HD audio passthrough? I´ve had not very good experiences with HD audio passthrough (audio cuts when using DTS-HD, etc..) and it´s one of my requirements to buy a new device: HD passthrough and resolution switching.

is vero OSCM stable? will I get a good TV experience? also, not sure about updates on OSCM. I would like to have something running a native kodi, so in case new version are released I do not have to wait for an external company to adapt the release to its own system. thanks
WeTek devices will give you proper DRM, HDCP and Netflix Approval if you wanted to run protected 1080p/4K video streaming Apps.
I do like the unofficial Android TV ROM's that are available for the Hub/Play2 too. The WeTek's are not HDR capable.

They will however dual boot real easy into LibreELEC Kodi / Android just by using the Power button on the Remote control during startup.
This turns them into nice flexible little devices, you can pick what Operating System (OS) you want to use quickly and easily - all you need extra is an aftermarket Wireless MINIX A2 Lite remote.

Vero 4K is a pure Kodi (linux based) device, meaning it will run only Kodi and do it well. You will get Auto resolution switching.
It also uses an AML S905X, which can output 4K HDR10 when support is added for that. Plus it comes with everything included, like a decent Wireless remote - that the WeTek boxes are sadly missing.

OSMC gets great support, I believe Sam, the dev. has been using OSMC for the last 2 or 3 years with RPi's as well. OSMC on the Vero 4K and LE on the S905 devices share a lot of common Linux Kernel and Kodi code. OSMC is a a pretty mature platform with lots of ongoing support. In fact most issues can usually be resolved in a few days.

There are no issues I know of getting HD Audio passthrough on the WeTek Hub/Play2 or Vero 4K.

The WeTek Core is comparatively old 8bit tech. Its not HDMI 2.0 for 4K use and will be limited to 8bit decoding only. If you run into any 10bit HEVC (H265) content (very likely) you cannot decode it. There is no HD Audio passthrough when using LibreELEC on this device.

Pure Kodi only, Plug n Play then get the Vero 4K

For flexibility, where you can use whatever OS you want with a wee bit of DIY, then get the Play2. Just remember you really need a Wireless remote to use it properly.

W.

I've ordered a vero4k, but until July 7th they will not send it (holiday season). I'm looking forward to have it as soon as possible Smile and after your recomendation I think it was the best option. thanks
(2017-05-20, 19:39)johnjohn22 Wrote: Hey guys,

I read through the choose KODI Box thread, that @wrxtasy did a great job on. However I just could not comprehend all the information. I am sorry for this, and hope you guys can help me get it straight. I already bought a ton of different hardware by now I feel like, and I still haven't had anything reliable going for me yet. I own: NVIDIA Shield (Old version 16 GB), Intel NUC (NUC7i5BNH - Kaby Lake), Raspberry Pi 3, Amazon Fire TV Stick Gen 2. Also I own a Synology DS216play NAS.

I want to get my setup straight, and I am ready to replace anything that is not perfect. I had so much trouble, especially with the resolution switching on my NVIDIA Shield that I decided to ditch it and get an Intel NUC, that I thought would solve everything. However, the NUC is just not playing nice with me, and the HDMI issues are seemingly never going to end.

I need:
-Auto switching resolution between 720p, 1080p and 2160p, to let my UHD TV do any and all upscaling
-Auto refresh rate changing - 60 Hz GUI and 23,976(I believe is the correct number?) for videos
-Bitstream all kinds of audio, including object based (Atmos, DTS:X)
-HDR
-Optimal picture quality in all aspects
-Something capable of being buttery smooth in the GUI with the more graphical themes
-Be controlled with my Logitech Harmony Elite remote

I don't need online streaming channels like Netflix, Amazon etc. - I got those on my TV, which is fine with me! I only need my KODI box to handle "local"(from my NAS) content perfectly.

Hit me with your best shot!
Hi Guys
I have the same requirements as JohnJohn, but any Android beyond 5 has unusable read/write permissions to my USB drive which I use for local storage.  I download all my content off newsgroups to local files on the USB drive.

The Nvidia Shield, with Android 6, won't let me delete content after viewing.  Droidbox T8-Mini on the LibreElec side (It's dual boot into Android/Libreelec) allows me to delete/rename files, but chokes (freeze/skip every few seconds) on some 720p tv shows (Seth Meyers, eg) that windows and the Nvidia Shield play fine. 

So guys, do you have any suggestions for a 4K Kodi box that allows me to delete files from a USB drive, and can play ANY video file I throw at it?

Thanks for any suggestions
(2017-12-17, 23:12)ezriderz Wrote: So guys, do you have any suggestions for a 4K Kodi box that allows me to delete files from a USB drive, and can play ANY video file I throw at it?

Thanks for any suggestions 
 If you don't need Dolby Vision get a Vero 4k.
Vero 4k+ - Apple TV 4k - Odroid N2 | Yamaha RX-V483 | Sony 55XE9305 | Synology DS916+
(2017-05-20, 19:39)johnjohn22 Wrote: Hey guys,

I read through the choose KODI Box thread, that @wrxtasy did a great job on. However I just could not comprehend all the information. I am sorry for this, and hope you guys can help me get it straight. I already bought a ton of different hardware by now I feel like, and I still haven't had anything reliable going for me yet. I own: NVIDIA Shield (Old version 16 GB), Intel NUC (NUC7i5BNH - Kaby Lake), Raspberry Pi 3, Amazon Fire TV Stick Gen 2. Also I own a Synology DS216play NAS.

I want to get my setup straight, and I am ready to replace anything that is not perfect. I had so much trouble, especially with the resolution switching on my NVIDIA Shield that I decided to ditch it and get an Intel NUC, that I thought would solve everything. However, the NUC is just not playing nice with me, and the HDMI issues are seemingly never going to end.

I need:
-Auto switching resolution between 720p, 1080p and 2160p, to let my UHD TV do any and all upscaling
-Auto refresh rate changing - 60 Hz GUI and 23,976(I believe is the correct number?) for videos
-Bitstream all kinds of audio, including object based (Atmos, DTS:X)
-HDR
-Optimal picture quality in all aspects
-Something capable of being buttery smooth in the GUI with the more graphical themes
-Be controlled with my Logitech Harmony Elite remote

I don't need online streaming channels like Netflix, Amazon etc. - I got those on my TV, which is fine with me! I only need my KODI box to handle "local"(from my NAS) content perfectly.

Hit me with your best shot!
 Imo, the absolute perfect Kodi box is basically, any PC with an NVidia GTX 960 4GB or GTX 1050Ti 4GB GPU or higher.  Imo, nothing will give you the "Optimal picture quality in all aspects" you require except this.  All your other requirements and the ones you didn't think or know to request are also optimal.  Some setup will be required once and give you reliable trouble free use after that and the components are shareware.  If you're a person that doesn't mind lower quality paid subscription streaming and a corresponding costly box of some sort to compliment each other, there are better routes including the free apps on your TV.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Buttery smooth, needing to run complex graphically intensive Skins = Intel, want HDR with that = Intel Kaby Lake** running Windows 10, but you must use PowerDVD software for 4K HDR NOT Kodi (you will have to wait for Windows Kodi HDR support, no idea how long)

** Not sure on the reliability status of the problematic Display Port > HDMI 2.0a adapter with Intel Kaby Lake.

Plays anything you throw at it, inc. 1080p Hi10P Anime = Intel Kaby Lake or NVIDIA Shield or Apple TV 4K. If you cannot hardware decode something you throw CPU cycles at the problem and software decode content.

SDR & 4K HDR Kodi capable media players with correct colorspace outputs =
Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware (click)

Best for 1080p > 4K upscaling = Intel 4K capable Hardware such as Kaby Lake. The new Apple TV 4K also has a really decent hardware upscaler in it as well

Delete files from a connected USB drive in a reasonably snappy Kodi 4K HDR media player = AMLogic S912 running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, cannot do 1080p Hi10 Anime. Can do 1080p <<-->> 4K auto Resolution switching. 720p <<-->> 1080p <<-->> 4K Resolution switching coming.

All devices mentioned will do Dolby Atmos & DTS:X except the AppleTV 4K

So work out which features are most important as compromises will have to be made somewhere.

(2017-12-17, 23:12)ezriderz Wrote: Droidbox T8-Mini on the LibreElec side (It's dual boot into Android/Libreelec) allows me to delete/rename files, but chokes (freeze/skip every few seconds) on some 720p tv shows (Seth Meyers, eg) that windows and the Nvidia Shield play fine. 
This should not be happening, you either have issues with Kodi's config or the source video files timestamps. (Very likely)
"Sync Playback to Display" MUST be disabled at all times, especially if you are doing refresh switching with AMLogic LibreELEC Kodi Boxes.
You need to use @kszaq's latest LibreELEC, found on LibreELEC AMLogic Sub-forum (click)

If this problem cannot be solved with your very specific problematic video files then avoid all AMLogic Linux/LibreELEC boxes. Personally I would remux problem files to plug correct timestamps into them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The BEST KODI box at the moment? (4K, HDR, HD Audio, TV Upscale)0