Considering Kodi to Replace MediaPortal2
I am currently using MediaPortal 1.4, and because it is so bug-ridden, decided to give MP2 a try.

I've been working on it since Friday, and I have grown tired of finding stuff that MediaPortal2 does not appear to support, as well as its seemingly arbitrary design decisions. I'm wondering if Kodi would be a viable replacement. I have simple needs:

0) We do not stream media from the internet, and we don't have a TV tuner in the PC. All of our music, movies, and tv series are located on a number of network shares (close to 15 terabytes of media).

1) MP2 does not have a mechanism for correcting invalid media identification. Instead, it relies on NFO files that need to be created externally of MP. I'm okay with that, I suppose, but there was no heads up regarding this.

2) I want to establish a play list of sorts that allows me to binge watch a series of movies (I suppose you could call this a "marathon"), such as Hunger Games, Star Wars, etc.. MP2 does not support this. Does Kodi?

3) One positive aspect of MP is you can set up a server that busies itself with automatically updating the media database, and attach to the database from other machines on the network via a client app. We mainly watch our media in the living room, but it would be handy to be able to also watch it in other rooms where a PC is installed and running a client app. This would keep the media database on a single system that is then accessed by the other machines. Does Kodi do this?
In my completely biased opinion... Yes Kodi is a viable solution. Smile

0) Streaming and TV Tuner are features available, but do not affect the operation of Kodi if they are not installed.

1) By Media Identification do you mean a)scraping metadata from internet scraping sites or b) Identifying the difference between an mp3 and mkv. I am guessing a). If your movies and TV Shows are correctly named and saved in the correct directory structure then scraping is very efficent. Of course there will always be cases where a title may be unknown and you will need to create a nfo. The only nfo I ever need to create are for home movies, and a couple of little known documentaries. see here... http://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files

2) Playlists are supported. See here... http://kodi.wiki/view/Playlist

3) Kodi is not a server. Kodi just needs to be pointed to where the media files are located. If you have 10 Kodi installations at home, then all 10 just need to be pointed to the media files. Kodi will take care of the rest. If you want to use one library between all 10 installations, then you can set up a MySQL library. See here... http://kodi.wiki/view/Sharing_and_syncing

Hope that helps.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Considering Kodi to Replace MediaPortal20