LCD/VFD support via LCDproc in XBMC for Linux?
Question 
I was looking for some direction in getting my external display functioning in XBMC. For starters, here is some basic information about my setup.

Ubuntu 8.04
XBMC Atlantis Beta1
HiperMedia HMC-2K53A-A0 Case - (Uses Futaba dm-140gink Demo LCD)

I followed the directions from the following link to get the display working within Ubuntu

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Futaba

I can successfully launch LCDd from a terminal and the display will come on and show:
## LCDproc Server ##
Cli:0 Scr: 0

However, when I launch XBMC, the display turns dark and nothing shows.

Is there a particular log file that I need to look at to determine why XBMC seems to be killing the lcdproc process? Or do you think something else is happening here?

Thanks for any help.
Have you got the file LCD.xml in /home/your user name/.xbmc/userdata?

If not you can copy this from /usr/share/xbmc/userdata
debug log please ..
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I was able to correct this problem by building from SVN.

Maybe this is the bug fix that helped my situation:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4923

I do now have a followup question. Is there a way to slow down the scroll speed of text that is larger than the width of the LCD screen? It's a little dizzying watching large movie titles scroll across over and over again at such a high rate.
indy5 Wrote:I do now have a followup question. Is there a way to slow down the scroll speed of text that is larger than the width of the LCD screen? It's a little dizzying watching large movie titles scroll across over and over again at such a high rate.

No, speed isn't adjustable. Please post a feature request so we don't forget about it while in feature freeze.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
As mentioned in the title, I have a crystalfontz 634 (20x4) lcd that I want to use (if possible).

Could someone guide me a bit?

EDIT:
Found out that XBMC expects me to use lcdproc, so I installed 0.5.2-0buntu2 (available in ubuntu 8.04 Synaptic Package Manager). Not sure what is the next step though...
First you must setup LCDproc.
Open a terminal en type:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/LCDd.conf
search for the line:
Code:
Driver=curses
And make it look like
Code:
Driver=CFontz
Quit and save with crtl+X

Now you must see some lines on your display (after reboot)

Setup xbmc
Copy the file LCD.xml to your userdata dir.
Open a terminal and type:
Code:
cp /usr/share/xbmc/userdata/LCD.xml /home/[b]username[/b]/.xbmc/userdata/
(for username you must set your ubuntu username)

Start xbmc and go to Settings/system/LCD and set lcdtype to lcdproc.
I tried the steps you mentioned, but I did not see any lines during boot and no text after opening XBMC and setting lcdproc as LCD display.

I checked that the LCD.xml got copied to /home/htpc/.xbmc/userdata

I went into BIOS checking that the serial port was enabled (it was).

Then I typed "sudo dmesg | grep tty" and got the following output:

Code:
htpc@htpc-xbmc:~$ sudo dmesg | grep tty
[sudo] password for htpc:
[   14.853756] console [tty0] enabled
[   16.678964] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
[   16.679464] 00:05: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
[   34.742884] audit(1224366635.064:2): type=1503 operation="inode_permission" requested_mask="a::" denied_mask="a::" name="/dev/tty" pid=5044 profile="/usr/sbin/cupsd" namespace="default"

This is the same as I can see in BIOS (0x3F8/IRQ4).

Yet, no info on the screen...
Asside from setting "Driver=CFontz", this is what I tried:

Code:
## CrystalFontz driver (for CF632 & CF634) ##
[CFontz]

# Select the output device to use [default: /dev/lcd]
Device=/dev/ttyS0
# Select the LCD size [default: 20x4]
Size=20x4
# Set the initial contrast [default: 560; legal: 0 - 1000]
Contrast=350
# Set the initial brightness [default: 1000; legal: 0 - 1000]
Brightness=800
# Set the initial off-brightness [default: 0; legal: 0 - 1000]
# This value is used when the display is normally
# switched off in case LCDd is inactive
OffBrightness=0
# Set the communication speed [default: 9600; legal: 1200, 2400, 9600, 19200 or 115200]
Speed=19200
# Set the firmware version (New means >= 2.0) [default: no; legal: yes, no]
NewFirmware=yes
# Reinitialize the LCD's BIOS [default: no; legal: yes, no]
# normally you shouldn't need this
Reboot=no

I edited the communication speed both to 9600 and 19200 and rebooted between each setting. I edited the NewFirmware to "yes" because my CrystalFontz634 says V2.0. (the 19200 setting I remember using in windows xp, therefore trying it here as well)

When I last used this screen with windows XP I saved "foobar player" as boot-up text (because that was what the pc did.. it played foobar2000). This boot-up text was present when I connected it to my ubuntu-machine as well. This text is now gone so "there is some contact" between pc and screen.

DrE
VDRfan Wrote:No, speed isn't adjustable. Please post a feature request so we don't forget about it while in feature freeze.

Before I request a feature for future releases, would the lcd display speed be a function of XBMC, or would it be a driver feature? I'm just wondering if I am barking up the wrong tree here.

thanks for any thoughts...
Scrolling is done by the client, in our case XBMC.
Hi!

I suppose im at the wrong place now, but i really dont find anything usefull when im trying search for info on how to make my VFD display work.

I noticed this LCDproc supports my computer... a shuttle SG33G5M.

Thing is im using Vista32.

Anyone who has an idea how i can my VFD display work in XBMC running on Vista?

Thanks in advance
I have noticed an issue lately, If I leave XBMC on, after a while the lcdproc doesn't show any client connected anymore. I don't have a log right this moment but has anyone else experienced this? I can re-enable the client by disabling and re-enabling the lcdproc setting in xbmc.
I forgot to mention I'm running Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10 and XBMC Atlantis 8.10 Final
Sorry if this is the wrong place but here goes....

I have my lcd display working correctly with XBMC. My problem is: If i leave LCDproc enabled in XBMC and leave it idle for a long period of time (say 6 hours while i sleep) at some point LCDd spikes to 100% cpu usage. So i just dont use the LCD part of XBMC as it warms my living room up to much :-)

Anyone seen this?

I have a crappy imon VFD built in to my case which for the first few hours is fine.

Again sorry if this is the wrong place.
ASRock Ion 330 | 6TB Drobo | Pioneer PDP-4270XD (s/pdif) | Sony DAV-DZ810W | Logitech Harmony 885 (MCE remote emulation)| diNovo Mini

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LCD/VFD support via LCDproc in XBMC for Linux?1