EXIF (and IPTC) tag support for photos (JPG pictures)
(pike @ dec. 23 2004,20:33 Wrote:for that matter, why not allow xbmc to rotate the images permanently? this can be done lossless
i do most of my image browsing via an xbms share, so i don't think locally saving those would be of direct help.... but if it did i could (and would) copy them from whatever folder xbmc saves to back over the original.
--jaga
(jooppie @ oct. 24 2004,11:25 Wrote:i would like to see exif information when looking at pictures.

ron
me too it would be great to sort them based on the exif data! i thinks this is something missing in xbmc...
most of the code is in place. the imagelib reads jpeg exif data no problems. it just needs someone to write the code to display the data, and correctly obtain the data from the imagelib. would be a nice small project for a dev wanting to get their feet wet.

(ie i don't have the time or inclination to do so at this point :p )

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

it would also be nice if xbmc could write exif data back to the jpg (assuming write permissions on a share of course), so that any rotations made in xbmc were remebered.
afaik, the imagelib doesn't support writing exif data losslessly - thus, this will not be possible without a rewrite of the image lib.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Sad 
i have an issue in viewing my digital pictures in the xbmc. pictures which appear correctly on my pc (i.e. in portrait mode) are shown in landscape mode on the xbmc. the thumbnails do show up correctly though.

interestingly, the pictures i have processed with the latest version of my digital pictures organising program (paint shop photo album version 5) appear correctly on the xbmc.

so, how do i get my older pictures to show correctly on the xbmc?
hmmm. by default, all images are shown landscape. they are only auto-rotated to portrait if they contain suitable exif rotation information (from the camera). you need a 2005 version (february or newer) for this.

you can always hit y to rotate an image.

i found a solution to the issue

the key is indeed in the exif information. most picture organising programs (e.g. adobe photo album, picasa, acdsee, etc) change the exif information to: "needs to be rotated right". this will cause the picture to show correctly on all pc applications. unfortunately, xbmc does not take the exif information into account and shows the picture always in landscape.

however, i noticed that the latest version of jasc paint shop photo album (version 5) works differently. if you rotate a picture, then the picture is physically rotated and the exif information shows "normal" (in stead of: needs to be rotated right/left). so, all i had to do with my old pictures is to rotate all portrait pictures right and then immediately left again. the exif info was changed into normal and now all my pictures appear correctly on the xbox media center.

the real problem is obviously that xbmc does not read the exif information. that should be changed. in the meanwhile, switch to paint shop photo album version 5.
Quote:they are only auto-rotated to portrait if they contain suitable exif rotation information (from the camera). you need a 2005 version (february or newer) for this.

xbmc does use exif rotation information. perhaps you need to upgrade?

is it possible to implement a description or title for each photo in a slideshow not the filename? also is it possible to change color of the text because white is hard to see on most of the photos.
i think you may be able to change the text color from slideshow.xml.
(jmarshall @ mar. 29 2005,18:32 Wrote:xbmc does use exif rotation information. perhaps you need to upgrade?
i beg to differ...

my files appear to have valid exif information. yet xbmc still displays them in landscape only.

this is the exif info from a portrait image on an smb share...
Quote:r:\pictures\rotation test\img_0149.jpg
make: canon
model: canon powershot s330
date modified: sunday, december 26, 2004 1:19:18 pm
orientation: left side / bottom
x-resolution: 180/1
y-resolution: 180/1
resolution unit: inch
ycbcr-positioning: 1

this is from a landscape image on an smb share...
Quote:r:\pictures\rotation test\img_0151.jpg
make: canon
model: canon powershot s330
date modified: friday, december 31, 2004 6:17:01 pm
orientation: top / left side
x-resolution: 180/1
y-resolution: 180/1
resolution unit: inch
ycbcr-positioning: 1

this info was pulled from two of my photos by a proggy called 'exifer'. notice the orientation flags are different, yet xbmc still displays them both as landscape.

now i know that the older builds of xbmc handled all my picture orientation properly, they were all auto-rotated. recent builds (i'm using 30 may 2005 build) have stopped auto rotating. flipping them with the remote is a big pain!

if anyone can shed some light on this, i'd be keenly interested. even if i must touch all my protrait images with some tool.

curiously....some pictures that i have that lack any exif data at all (scans)....the 'protraits' are displayed properly.

i'm no expert on this stuff, i just know that xbmc started 'ignoring' the rotations that have always been there in my photos recently. i'd be happy to share any photos with someone who can tell me my exif data is garbage etc... i just want to
please do.

upload said images (zipped or rarred) to http://www.xboxmediaplayer.it/upload and i'll take a look. it may be (though i doubt it) that we are missing one of the rotation cases.

if you could also supply info on the program you use on the pc that correctly shows the pictures that would be great as well.

cheers,
jonathan

i uploaded as exiforient.zip

it contains the two images i posted exif data on previously, and another with no exif data that i also mentioned.

the proggy i use on the pc is nothing more than xp windows explorer. i use microsoft gif composer from time to time too. but usually manage & rotate using the filmstrip view in windowsxp pro explorer.
ok, i've taken a look.

the issue is that the images contain exif rotation information but the actual images have already been rotated.

most programs that i've used clear the exif rotation info when they do lossless rotation - it appears the one you use (perhaps your camera software?) doesn't clear this out. thus, the images effectively get rotated twice when displayed by xbmc (and any other software that auto-rotates based on exif info - picasa springs to mind)

not really sure if this behaviour is desirable - it'd be easy enough to make it switchable probably, but i hate adding options :p

cheers,
jonathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
EXIF (and IPTC) tag support for photos (JPG pictures)0