XBMC on Ubuntu Server, minimal install with no GDM
althekiller Wrote:I'm sure the ubuntu forums are packed with this kind of info since it is much more their domain than it is ours.

Yes, you are right, but apart from that, I wouldn't consider this issue as offtopic. If you say so, you could say the same for a lot of scripts in this thread. And I am also pretty sure, that others are interested as well.
althekiller - actually there is very little to no information on how to change the uspalsh theme on a command line only system on the ubuntu forums. Most of them point you to an old page on their wiki that, for me at least, didn't make a lot of sense.

I agree that this might not be the proper forum but since somebody has already stated they got it working it doesn't hurt to ask Smile

Besides, this wouldn't be the first thread on this forum to get sidetracked Rolleyes
althekiller Wrote:I like how this thread went from "specifically sound" to "overclocking." It was a good attempt guys, almost a thread that could be useful in the future.

I really miss althekiller :(
ok this what i did. Might not be the best way but it works..

Quote:sudo aptitude install xubuntu-artwork-usplash

Then compile the xbmc spash so you end up with "XBMC-theme.so" file.
Then copy the XBMC-theme.so file to /usr/lib/usplash.
Then go to /usr/lib/usplash and delete usplash-theme-xubuntu.so.
Then rename XBMC-theme.so to usplash-theme-xubuntu.so and finally

Quote:sudo update-initramfs -u

Hope this helps you guys out.
harryzimm Wrote:Then compile the xbmc spash so you end up with "XBMC-theme.so" file.

But that is the hardest part of it and you didn't explain how it was done Smile
althekiller Wrote:I like how this thread went from "specifically sound" to "overclocking." It was a good attempt guys, almost a thread that could be useful in the future.

I really miss althekiller :(
harryzimm Wrote:sudo aptitude install xubuntu-artwork-usplash

Thank you for your answer and help, harryzimm!
Should "xubuntu-artwork-usplash" to be used also on ubuntu installations, or there it has to be changed to "ubuntu-artwork-usplash"?
olympia Wrote:Thank you for your answer and help, harryzimm!
Should "xubuntu-artwork-usplash" to be used also on ubuntu installations, or there it has to be changed to "ubuntu-artwork-usplash"?

Im using ubuntu server and used the xubuntu-artwork-usplash. It doesn't matter cause your replacing it with the xbmc one anyway.

@ blubyu. This pdf gives you instructions on how to make the xbmc splash. The guide uses the ubuntu desktop but you should be able to use the instructions to get it to work. http://hnboekhouding.be/rss/xbmc_hardy_ubuntu.pdf
Thank you for the install guide rrambo after just a few tweaks i got my new system up and running very quickly.
I'm completely new to linux but this site has helped loads and taught me so much.
I had a few problems with changing the RssFeeds but after searching te forums found i had 3 copies on my install !! sorted that now if anyone else has problems they can give me a shout.
i'm yet to sort the scripts out as i miss them after using loads on my old xbox.

Is there a way to create a image of my disk now its working good, one so i can keep it for when i break it and two to possibly share with others who have same hardware??

thanks to the whole XBMC team its the best media center ever!!
still learning linux, | Eve Media Box Case | Abit I-N73HD Motherboard | 2gb Ram | 8gb usb drive | xbmc live | 4tb Linux server |- Second box - XBMC live | GA-81915PM motherboard | 2gb Ram | Gainward 8400GS 512MB HDMI | 2.5" 60gb hard drive |Cheap MCE remote | Tvheadend server | Raspberry Pi | Acer Revo | Zotac ION
This looks cool. It would be even cooler if we could make the system suspend instead of shutting down. Does Ubuntu Server have the ability to suspend to ram?

In Ubuntu Desktop you can do it from command line with 'gnome-power-cmd.sh suspend'.

However, if you are just suspending instead of shutting down I guess you might as well use Ubuntu Desktop instead of server.

Maybe we should try to get some wiki-space somewhere to put down this information (how to run it on Ubuntu Server) and also how to run it on Ubuntu Desktop and what to trim on the system to make it faster.
Novin Wrote:This looks cool. It would be even cooler if we could make the system suspend instead of shutting down. Does Ubuntu Server have the ability to suspend to ram?
Proper PowerManagement support was added to XBMC for Linux in the SVN earlier this week, including suspend and hibernate optional settings directly in XBMC. Beta 1 of XBMC Atlantis is scheduled to be released this weekend so you can try it out then.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
cornbell Wrote:Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron Minimal Install, Auto Login with gdm.

[for Linux beginners]

4). Install your system video drivers. ( I am using amd 780g /ati radeon 3200 so I downloaded and installed proprietary driver for 3d acceleration support and all that good stuff).

I know this is off topic, but I have problems with very high cpu when navigating through menus. Would you mind post your xorg file?
XBMC Live 9.11
Intel core duo 2,E7400 2.80GHz
P5N7A-VM
1 GB DDR2 667MHz
Gamester17 Wrote:Proper PowerManagement support was added to XBMC for Linux in the SVN earlier this week, including suspend and hibernate optional settings directly in XBMC. Beta 1 of XBMC Atlantis is scheduled to be released this weekend so you can try it out then.

And now to use it you start xbmc with --standalone or you add <systempowermanagement>true</systempowermanagement>
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
So how long does it take to boot up if you follow the first post guide?
Hi.
I'm trying to install the ati driver with ubuntu 8.04 server.

I'm having some trouble getting this to work. I've downloaded the latest driver from ati. Got it to install, but it comes out with an error at the end. Don't remeber what the error is right now (i'm at work) but I will edit this when I come home.

I wonder if anyone who has got this working with the ati driver downloaded from ati could post a how-to?

I will also fill in what I've been doing.

I'm using this to install the ati driver:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_...all_Method
XBMC Live 9.11
Intel core duo 2,E7400 2.80GHz
P5N7A-VM
1 GB DDR2 667MHz
Thanks for this great tutorial.

However when i kill xbmc it goes to a blank screen.. what is going on?

I'm unable to access another console or cntl alt backspace...

all i can do is cntl alt delete and initiate reboot sequence.
substancev Wrote:Thanks for this great tutorial.

However when i kill xbmc it goes to a blank screen.. what is going teon?

I'm unable to access another console or cntl alt backspace...

all i can do is cntl alt delete and initiate reboot sequence.

Basically my terminal was at a resolution that my nvidia card had trouble jumping back to... modifying my grub menu to have this added parameter fixed this.. vga=791

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Ubuntu Server, minimal install with no GDM3