Android Issue with 4K playback
Hi, after years of happily using Kodi I finally ran into a problem that I can't seem to tackle.
When I try to play 4K videos through Kodi I get a message that the source is too slow.

This is my setup:
- Synology ds418 nas
- Seagate IronWolf ST6000VN0041 6 TB (read speed 195MB/s)
- Gigabit ethernet
- Minix neo u9-h (connected with same gigabit ethernet)
- Kodi 17.6

The 6TB drive holds the 4K movie and when I play it I gt the source is too slow message.

This is the file information
Format                          : HEVC
Format profile                : Main [email protected]@high
Codec ID                       : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Bit rate                         : 45.9 Mb/s
Width                           : 3 840 pixels
Height                          : 2 160 pixels
Frame rate mode           : Constant
Frame rate                    : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                   : YUV
Chroma subsampling      : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                       : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)          : 0.231
Stream size                    : 48.7 GiB (82%)

What I tried:
- Inserted a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD into synology (read speed 540MB/s)
- Moved 4K material to SSD
- Tried to stream it, same message appears.
- Hooked up Minix directly to the synology nas through cat 5e cable, same message appears.

This is some information that I got from the NAS while I stream the 4K file from the SSD.
Disk read speed with 1080p and 4K:
Network speed with 1080p and 4K:

What I notice is that the network speed is in KB/s and peaks at 8000 which is (according to google?) 64 Mb/s which in turn should be enough for the file I try to play (the file has a bit rate of 45.9 Mb/s)
I also tried a network speed test between my laptop and the NAS which shows 431Mbps read speed: 

Who can help me to find the bottleneck? Is there something wrong with the math or am I looking over something?
You can find a full debug log here (startup, playback of 4K file, shutdown)
Use NFS instead of SMB and post your Debug Log - you basically missed the most relevant information.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-04-04, 19:53)fritsch Wrote: Use NFS instead of SMB and post your Debug Log - you basically missed the most relevant information.
 Hi fritsch, I added full debug log to the bottom of my post. Also I stream over SFTP. 
I used to use NFS but it gave issues with playback just randomly stopping for no apparent reason.
SFTP <- try something else, please.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-04-04, 20:06)fritsch Wrote: SFTP <- try something else, please.
 Holy shoot it works over NFS, any technical explanation for this?
Yeah. Many, one: SFTP has more pressure on the CPU (SSH + decryption), which reduces throughput. How much speed do you get if you copy something via sftp to your android box?
(2018-04-04, 21:02)fritsch Wrote: Yeah. Many, one: SFTP has more pressure on the CPU (SSH + decryption), which reduces throughput. How much speed do you get if you copy something via sftp to your android box?

Hi, I didn't have the chance to test the speed when I copy a file over sftp.

Ever since I switched to NFS I noticed that playback sometimes just randomly stops and kodi quits back to the menu. In the beginning I didn't think much of it and assumed it was a one time thing, but now it happens more often than I would like.

You can find a log of me starting a movie, it plays for a minute or four and then it just quits. Should I make a new thread for this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issue with 4K playback0