[ATV] Issues streaming videos from a SMB drive
Fantastic software and also great to see it working so well on the ATV.

I am streaming all my videos from a SMB drive. Most of them work with the exception of the HD ones. They also play, but "pause" from time to time. My HD movies are only 720p with low frame rates, so I dont believe that the problem is the CPU power, which is debated extensively in other threats. I believe that my issue is around the wireless network, through which I access the SMB drive from.

Does anyone has an idea how I can fix this (except going from WLAN to LAN)? I was thinking that allocating more cache could help, but I dont find this in the settings anymore. Also no clue whether this is the right thinking and approach. Let me know. Any help appreciated!!!

Using ATV with XBMC 9.4.1 (mediastream skin).
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 Wrote:Fantastic software and also great to see it working so well on the ATV.

I am streaming all my videos from a SMB drive. Most of them work with the exception of the HD ones. They also play, but "pause" from time to time. My HD movies are only 720p with low frame rates, so I dont believe that the problem is the CPU power, which is debated extensively in other threats. I believe that my issue is around the wireless network, through which I access the SMB drive from.

Does anyone has an idea how I can fix this (except going from WLAN to LAN)? I was thinking that allocating more cache could help, but I dont find this in the settings anymore. Also no clue whether this is the right thinking and approach. Let me know. Any help appreciated!!!

Using ATV with XBMC 9.4.1 (mediastream skin).

move the video to the local disk and try playing it, if it works, you have a network problem, if not....
davilla Wrote:move the video to the local disk and try playing it, if it works, you have a network problem, if not....

Thanks, video played fine over a wired line, so I know it is my network connection that doesnt transfer the data in time. Anything I can do to solve this? Is my cache thinking going in the right direction?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 Wrote:Thanks, video played fine over a wired line, so I know it is my network connection that doesnt transfer the data in time. Anything I can do to solve this? Is my cache thinking going in the right direction?

Posting a full debug log might give some insights what's going on.
Other than that, do you know what transfer rates you get over your wifi?
For the beginning a simple scp should give you some numbers. If that's way too low, it's probably best to modify your wifi setup.

cheers,
mdd

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV] Issues streaming videos from a SMB drive0