NFS vs SMB
I have my recorded TV files on a RPi 3 HDD running Raspbian.  I watch them on a Windows 10/Kodi 18 machine via NFS.

No problem for several weeks, suddenly the player stops randomly.  I have to restart the file.

Some days it works fine all day.

Power supply is more than sufficient at 3 amp for the RPi and a powered USB hub for the HDD.

Could this is be an NFS problem?  Would changing to SMB fix it?

I don't know which logs might be relevant.  Kodi.log doesn't show anything.
(2018-04-08, 16:39)donbrew Wrote: I don't know which logs might be relevant.  Kodi.log doesn't show anything.

are you sure, a Debug Log doesn't show anything. If you don't know which logs are relevant how could you be sure, the kodi log won't be helpful.

Try providing both logs (from the RPi and from the Windows machine). I highly guess it will tell us something. At least the Windows log should tell use something if the playback stops randomly. That's an error which should be logged. You simply have to enable debug logging in system-settings for that.
I have since downgraded to 17.6 and it seems to be behaving for now.
good plan...

instead of trying to fix the issue you might have, simply downgrade.

I guess we'll meet again after you upgrade the next time and your issue might still not be solved Wink
What I meant was I downgraded so the logs are destroyed.
It did happen again in 17.6, but after I activated debug it would not do it.

Here is a bit of the log at the time of the stoppage,  There was a long break between entries before it stopped then the debug started.  This happened while I was experimenting using the Plex add-on and Plex media server on the RPi. 
Link to Log

I will try to get a proper debug tonight.  I suspect that it has something to do with the RPi starting to download something  so it momentarily gets confused and sends an EOF.  I can't think of anything I changed to make this start, somedays it doesn't do it at all.  DXVA on or off doesn't seem to make a difference, the HDD has a separate power source from the Pi, wired network.  I think I changed from Samba to NFS before it started.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS vs SMB0