OS X Issues streaming movies with external subtitles to TV
Hi there!

I've been using Kodi on High Sierra for a while, and it worked fine, but since yesterday I cant stream a movie (mkv) with external subtitles to my TV. It was streaming all right but all of the sudden it stopped. Mkv's with embedded subtitles still works and when I plug the external drive directly to the TV it reads the (external) subtitle with the movie.

I havent changed any setting or installed any add-on besides a Kodi remote for my phone. I've already reinstalled Kodi (from a clean uninstall). It works for a while and then it stops again...

Any clue on what might be happening?
Are you using UPnP to share/stream your videos to your TV?
Hey Klojum! Thanks for the reply. Yes through uPnP!
Well, there is your problem (probably). My 2012 LG tv does not support external subtitles via UPnP/DLNA, so it's possible your TV does not either. Or your macOS. The sudden stopping of the video is likely something else entirely. Perhaps you can provide the debug log (wiki) of kodi in order to see some internals of your setup.

Although UPnP in Kodi is supposed to be supported (not sure...), it's very much possible it is the proverbial bump in the road.
As you already found out, MKV files with embedded subtitles do work. I'm not sure how big your video collection is, but MKVtoolnix is a great tool for remuxing videos and adding subtitles. (Just in case you have nothing planned for the upcoming weekend)
(2018-05-05, 01:02)Klojum Wrote: Well, there is your problem (probably). My 2012 LG tv does not support external subtitles via UPnP/DLNA, so it's possible your TV does not either. Or your macOS. The sudden stopping of the video is likely something else entirely. Perhaps you can provide the debug log (wiki) of kodi in order to see some internals of your setup.

Although UPnP in Kodi is supposed to be supported (not sure...), it's very much possible it is the proverbial bump in the road.
As you already found out, MKV files with embedded subtitles do work. I'm not sure how big your video collection is, but MKVtoolnix is a great tool for remuxing videos and adding subtitles. (Just in case you have nothing planned for the upcoming weekend)
 hahahaha it' huge! My TV supports external subtitles (It's a 2014 Samsung). It worked fine 'till yesterday! Now, for instance, when I plug my external drive directly the Samsung MP plays the movie subtitled. So I' assuming the issue is with Kodi somehow and not with the TV...
(2018-05-05, 01:02)Klojum Wrote: Well, there is your problem (probably). My 2012 LG tv does not support external subtitles via UPnP/DLNA, so it's possible your TV does not either. Or your macOS. The sudden stopping of the video is likely something else entirely. Perhaps you can provide the debug log (wiki) of kodi in order to see some internals of your setup.

Here's the debug file: https://paste.kodi.tv/herapibado

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issues streaming movies with external subtitles to TV0