• 98(current)
XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)
The PPA's here have newer builds from as recent as 2 hours ago: https://launchpad.net/~nathan-renniewaldock
(2012-06-06, 15:23)erhnam Wrote:
(2012-06-03, 12:21)Henkske Wrote: Hello Hellfire.

The last few weeks i can't update my XBMC with your REPO. I get the following FATAL error ( according to the log ):

12:14:05 T:3015051568 ERROR: PulseAudio: Failed to connect context
12:14:05 T:3015051568 FATAL: CApplication::Create: Failed to start the AudioEngine

Do you maybe know how i can fix this? Thanks in advance

PulseAudio should be disabled when building.

Yes, I can confirm that it works if pulseaudio is running. (I made the mistake not rebooting after installing when testing)
(2012-06-07, 02:02)legoman666 Wrote: The PPA's here have newer builds from as recent as 2 hours ago: https://launchpad.net/~nathan-renniewaldock

Thanks!

Those who've been running XBMC Live should note that installing this will stop XBMC running automatically after a reboot.

I found these instructions: http://dustint.com/post/427/pre-eden-xbm...0.04-lucid which autostarts xbmc properly, but I still just get a black screen. Apparently the build on that repo has PulseAudio enabled and it's crashing the AudioEngine:

10:40:01 T:3078810208 ERROR: PulseAudio: Waited for the Context but it failed
10:40:01 T:3078810208 FATAL: CApplication::Create: Failed to start the AudioEngine

So has anybody managed to make this work? There's no way to say "don't use PulseAudio" at the command line, is there — you have to rebuild Sad

How come there isn't an official xbmc-monthly PPA, anyway? It can't be down to an assumption that Linux users are all willing to build things themselves, or there wouldn't even be xbmc-live/XBMCbuntu…
Quote:So has anybody managed to make this work? There's no way to say "don't use PulseAudio" at the command line, is there — you have to rebuild

The response I got from the builder is that both pulse and alsa is enabled in the build and it "should" fallback to alsa if pulse does not exist. I.e. something is wrong in git.
If you install pulse and reboot it will work, but I do not know what the impact of adding pulse will be.
Thanks for your help, but it seems the impact of adding pulse is having no sound whatsoever. Plus xbmc loses its screen calibration and overscans like crazy for some reason.

It certainly doesn't fallback to alsa when you remove pulseaudio, unless like having a black screen instead of a menu (admittedly, I didn't try to play something and see if the sound was working!)

I give up Sad Perhaps someone on the XBMC team will be able to get the official unstable PPA updated to have the monthly cycle builds, even if it doesn't get nightlies.
I tested on my laptop and the sound works fine on the internal speakers but I cant get it to work on HDMI at all.
(on asrock ION 330),
I made a an iso for easy testing if anyone is interested:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17892827/big/xbm...120606.iso

I have never used pulseaudio before, maybe it is an easy fix.

Yes, I agree monthly official builds would be nice. I am sure it is coming as soon as somebody have time to do it.
Agree here also. Would be excellent to see monthly builds of xbmcbuntu posted for download.

Also thanks vikjon0 for the precompiled iso build.
Just gave this a try and realised that there is no Custom audio setting with the PULSE AUDIO enabled. Since i am using a pcie sound card, Wasn't getting any sound.

My builds had pulse audio disabled a couple weeks ago (though really it should fallback to alsa since the build log shows both are enabled).
If there's any issues with my builds, it's best to use the email function on launchpad as I don't check the forum much.

As for the current build failures.. 2 of the tests are consistently failing on lucid through quantal. 64bit and 32bit with GCC 4.4 through 4.7.
I tried two different builds of XBMCbuntu from XBMCFREAK. Pre and Post AudioEngine. The AudioEngine build was the best for my system setup, Even giving me menu sounds that I never had before.

I understand these are pre release builds so thing may not work. In both cases the builds just seemed like a step backwards.Both DVD and Bluray were completely not working. DVD Video playback not working correctly with many problems. Bluray playback does not work at all. Nothing happens when I open a bluray video.
It's frustrating that there's no monthly PPA to match the monthly OSX and Windows builds! Sad

I would also say that the list of URLs in the first post of this thread really needs some attention. For example the svn one doesn't even exist any more.
(2012-06-07, 02:02)legoman666 Wrote: The PPA's here have newer builds from as recent as 2 hours ago: https://launchpad.net/~nathan-renniewaldock

Do you know the command so that apt-get pulls from this repository instead of the official stable repo?

Code:
xbmc@xbmc-zion:/etc/apt/preferences.d$ sudo apt-get -s install xbmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
  xbmc-test-helper
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  xbmc
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Inst xbmc (2:11.0-0~ppa1~precise XBMC Stable:12.04/precise [all])
Conf xbmc (2:11.0-0~ppa1~precise XBMC Stable:12.04/precise [all])
(2012-07-05, 13:05)zimdba Wrote:

Do you know the command so that apt-get pulls from this repository instead of the official stable repo?

Code:
xbmc@xbmc-zion:/etc/apt/preferences.d$ sudo apt-get -s install xbmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
  xbmc-test-helper
  xbmc
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Inst xbmc (2:11.0-0~ppa1~precise XBMC Stable:12.04/precise [all])
Conf xbmc (2:11.0-0~ppa1~precise XBMC Stable:12.04/precise [all])
Apt should automatically install the newest version, check that your sources are correct.

If not upgrading try
Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
I just cannot understand why i need to lose my xbmc-live package..

how the hell do i autostart xbmc without it ??

Quote:The following extra packages will be installed:
libmp3lame0 libnfs-dev libnfs1 libssh-4 xbmc-bin
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libnfs0 xbmc-live
libmp3lame0 libnfs1 libssh-4
The following packages will be upgraded:
libnfs-dev xbmc xbmc-bin
+1

Official unstable sounds like oxymoron Big Grin

Would like to see this though.

(2012-06-09, 13:44)Tiny Clanger Wrote: Thanks for your help, but it seems the impact of adding pulse is having no sound whatsoever. Plus xbmc loses its screen calibration and overscans like crazy for some reason.

It certainly doesn't fallback to alsa when you remove pulseaudio, unless like having a black screen instead of a menu (admittedly, I didn't try to play something and see if the sound was working!)

I give up Sad Perhaps someone on the XBMC team will be able to get the official unstable PPA updated to have the monthly cycle builds, even if it doesn't get nightlies.

• 98(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)12