v17 nVidia graphics: Any way to disable VDPAU hardware decoding for 4:2:2 playback only?
(2018-08-19, 10:33)xbmclinuxuser Wrote:
(2018-08-19, 08:43)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-08-19, 03:16)xbmclinuxuser Wrote: Nobody said a single word about a debug log until your post but that's not what I was asking anyway.  I was asking if a particular setting existed.  But no, I don't do debug logs because I don't know how to do them and I don't know what's in them.
I'm sorry... It does seem a little strange to me, when someone who signed up on this forum on some 5.5 years ago and posted almost 400 messages on the Kodi forum, is totally unaware of something which is referred to so many times as a kodi.log or a debug log (wiki) file. It must have come across the threads you posted in at some point in all that time. You know, the stupid questions are those not asked. So, simply ask what the debug log (wiki) is for. 
It seems a little strange to me that no one can grasp the concept that I was asking if a setting existed, not attempting to report a bug.  If I had said this was a bug and I wanted it fixed, then I suppose you would be justified in asking for that level pf information, but I avoid doing that in this forum, and the main reason is to be found on that wiki page:
Quote:1 Important Notes
Do NOT post your logs directly in a forum. Always use a paste site like https://pastebin.com or https://paste.ubuntu.com . Post the link to your pasted log in the forum. Details are in the following pages.
So you want me to post the log publicly where anyone in the world could read it.  And that's bad enough, but then it says:
Quote:Provide FULL Logs only. No Partial logs or snippets. The only redactions should be personal information.
So basically you want people to create what will undoubtedly be a very long log file, then go through it line by line to try to find any sensitive information that should be redacted (and I have a hunch my idea of what constitutes personal information and yours might be rather different), and then post it on the wide open Internet.  Maybe you don't have a problem with doing that, but I do.  I especially do when I was just asking a question, and not even trying to report a bug.

Seriously, if you guys want to receive debug logs, you should make sure that Kodi isn't including personal information in the first place, but mainly you need to find a way to let people send them to just the Kodi developers without making them readable to just anyone and everyone who happens along. 
 If you want your video files to work you need to agree to some cooperation. If you don't - the problem stays with you, quite easy - isn't it.

If it's too hard for you to copy .kodi out of the way, start a clean copy and just open the file in question and post the Debug Log - then nobody can help you.

Again: your complete wall of text cost more time than just doing:

mv .kodi kodi-bak
kodi
enable debug
play video
quit kodi
post logfile
mv kodi-bak .kodi
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-08-19, 09:56)fritsch Wrote: I really don't get why you invest so much time for such a wall of text while it is totally clear that nvidia on vdpau can only decode 4:2:0 - you need to distinguish between answers that "answer your question" and answers you don't understand!

Here is what I have written:
Code:
diff --git a/xbmc/cores/VideoPlayer/DVDCodecs/Video/VDPAU.cpp b/xbmc/cores/VideoPlayer/DVDCodecs/Video/VDPAU.cpp
index 72c8384885..1cfe5338a2 100644
--- a/xbmc/cores/VideoPlayer/DVDCodecs/Video/VDPAU.cpp
+++ b/xbmc/cores/VideoPlayer/DVDCodecs/Video/VDPAU.cpp
@@ -878,6 +878,9 @@ bool CDecoder::ConfigVDPAU(AVCodecContext* avctx, int ref_frames)

ReadFormatOf(avctx->codec_id, vdp_decoder_profile, m_vdpauConfig.vdpChromaType);

+  if (avctx->pix_fmt == AV_PIX_FMT_YUV422P)
+    return false;
+
   if (avctx->codec_id == AV_CODEC_ID_H264)
   {
     m_vdpauConfig.maxReferences = ref_frames;

I simple google would have found for you in this forum: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid1428125  
Here is an example of an answer I did not understand:

"return false based on the hints you receive in vdpau decoder. PR it upstream."

Not a bit of that made the slightest bit of sense to me.  I mean, I understand the term "vdpau decoder" obviously, but the rest of it might as well have been written in a foreign language.  I don't know what you mean by "hints you receive in vdpau decoder", I don't know what you mean by "return false", and I don't know what you mean by "PR it upstream."  That reply may well be the most incomprehensible reply I have ever received to a question I have asked in a forum, not to mention that it did not answer the question I had asked about settings.

And now you have posted code, which again is totally meaningless to me.  I do sudo apt install kodi after adding your repository, and I never deal with code.  My signature even tells you that I am not a coder, and I made that signature specifically because apparently in this forum some developers seem to assume that if you use Linux you must be a coder.  But a lot of people use Ubuntu or Linux Mint or something similar to run their home theater PC's, and don't know a lick of code.  So if that was supposed to be helpful toward answering my question, it wasn't.

The link you posted basically says that "hw decoders can only do 4:2:0."  I don't disagree with that, and pretty much had figured that out before my original post.  The problem is that for some reason Kodi is trying to send 4:2:2 to the VDPAU hardware decoder anyway.  It didn't do this in Isengard running under Ubuntu 14.04, but it does do it in Krypton under Ubuntu 18.04.  I was hoping maybe there was a setting I had overlooked that would disable this new behavior, but it seems there is not, so that is really the simple answer to my question.
(2018-08-19, 10:41)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-08-19, 10:33)xbmclinuxuser Wrote:
(2018-08-19, 08:43)Klojum Wrote: I'm sorry... It does seem a little strange to me, when someone who signed up on this forum on some 5.5 years ago and posted almost 400 messages on the Kodi forum, is totally unaware of something which is referred to so many times as a kodi.log or a debug log (wiki) file. It must have come across the threads you posted in at some point in all that time. You know, the stupid questions are those not asked. So, simply ask what the debug log (wiki) is for. 
It seems a little strange to me that no one can grasp the concept that I was asking if a setting existed, not attempting to report a bug.  If I had said this was a bug and I wanted it fixed, then I suppose you would be justified in asking for that level pf information, but I avoid doing that in this forum, and the main reason is to be found on that wiki page:
Quote:1 Important Notes
Do NOT post your logs directly in a forum. Always use a paste site like https://pastebin.com or https://paste.ubuntu.com . Post the link to your pasted log in the forum. Details are in the following pages.
So you want me to post the log publicly where anyone in the world could read it.  And that's bad enough, but then it says:
Quote:Provide FULL Logs only. No Partial logs or snippets. The only redactions should be personal information.
So basically you want people to create what will undoubtedly be a very long log file, then go through it line by line to try to find any sensitive information that should be redacted (and I have a hunch my idea of what constitutes personal information and yours might be rather different), and then post it on the wide open Internet.  Maybe you don't have a problem with doing that, but I do.  I especially do when I was just asking a question, and not even trying to report a bug.

Seriously, if you guys want to receive debug logs, you should make sure that Kodi isn't including personal information in the first place, but mainly you need to find a way to let people send them to just the Kodi developers without making them readable to just anyone and everyone who happens along.  
 If you want your video files to work you need to agree to some cooperation. If you don't - the problem stays with you, quite easy - isn't it.

If it's too hard for you to copy .kodi out of the way, start a clean copy and just open the file in question and post the Debug Log - then nobody can help you.

mv .kodi kodi-bak
kodi
enable debug
play video
quit kodi
post logfile
mv kodi-bak .kodi 
First of all my "walls of text" are an attempt to get you guys to understand that I was ASKING A QUESTION, NOT REPORTING A BUG!!! (If I shout will you finally get it?!?)

Second, your little set of instructions leaves out a few steps, first of all you would have to configure Kodi enough so it can find the file, and also configure video and audio output settings enough so that it even can play the file properly, or could if it was not trying to use the VDPAU decoder, otherwise you'd have errors in the file that have nothing to do with this problem.  But beyond that there is still the matter of having to look through that long log file to make sure there is no information that needs to be redacted.

But I notice you have glossed right over my main objection, which is having to post the file in a public location.  And I have tried to make it clear that I am not willing to do that, and never will be.

Anyway my question was answered - there is no setting that I missed - so there is no point in me continuing in this thread.  I feel like I am talking to a brick wall anyway.
(2018-08-19, 10:20)fritsch Wrote: Really nice would be if the decoder would not even be opened if the pix_fmt does not work ... but there are other decoders like VAAPI that can do 4:2:2 h264, this would need some more changes in DVDVideoCodecFFmpeg. I will give you a sample in some minutes. 

ffmpeg won't suggest hw_accels not capable of handling the format at all
Okay.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-08-19, 11:11)xbmclinuxuser Wrote:
(2018-08-19, 10:41)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-08-19, 10:33)xbmclinuxuser Wrote: It seems a little strange to me that no one can grasp the concept that I was asking if a setting existed, not attempting to report a bug.  If I had said this was a bug and I wanted it fixed, then I suppose you would be justified in asking for that level pf information, but I avoid doing that in this forum, and the main reason is to be found on that wiki page:

mv .kodi kodi-bak
kodi
enable debug
play video
quit kodi
post logfile
mv kodi-bak .kodi 
First of all my "walls of text" are an attempt to get you guys to understand that I was ASKING A QUESTION, NOT REPORTING A BUG!!! (If I shout will you finally get it?!?)

Second, your little set of instructions leaves out a few steps, first of all you would have to configure Kodi enough so it can find the file, and also configure video and audio output settings enough so that it even can play the file properly, or could if it was not trying to use the VDPAU decoder, otherwise you'd have errors in the file that have nothing to do with this problem.  But beyond that there is still the matter of having to look through that long log file to make sure there is no information that needs to be redacted.

But I notice you have glossed right over my main objection, which is having to post the file in a public location.  And I have tried to make it clear that I am not willing to do that, and never will be.

Anyway my question was answered - there is no setting that I missed - so there is no point in me continuing in this thread.  I feel like I am talking to a brick wall anyway.

Assumptions need to be compared to reality, which is that thing where the pizza guy is coming from.
Fix: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14324
(2018-08-19, 14:27)fritsch Wrote: Fix: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14324
Hi this is something that I have wanted for awhile, is there anyway to use this fix in Kodi 17?

Thanks, UbuntuUser
(2018-08-19, 18:54)UbuntuUser Wrote:
Hi this is something that I have wanted for awhile, is there anyway to use this fix in Kodi 17?

Thanks, UbuntuUser 
 Pick it, apply it - should work easily. v17 is deadend - if you want v18 to work on your system, migrate right now.
(2018-08-19, 19:02)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-08-19, 18:54)UbuntuUser Wrote:

Thanks, UbuntuUser  
 Pick it, apply it - should work easily. v17 is deadend - if you want v18 to work on your system, migrate right now. 
Can you tell me how to apply it in v17?  Or are you saying it won't work in v17?

Thanks, UbuntuUser
Code:
git clone https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git
cd xbmc
git checkout -b kodinvidia origin/Krypton
git cherry-pick 2c21f97e72f860dd3e000d69f856ff45062e8937

Now build as usual.
(2018-08-19, 19:26)fritsch Wrote:
Code:
cd xbmc

Now build as usual.  
Well after hours of trying I did get it installed, however I had 2 issues.  1 was after the patch it did fix the 4:2:2 not using Hardware decoding, which was great but it also turned off Hardware decoding for 4:2:0 which worked fine with Hardware decoding.  2 was I could not for the life of me figure out how to install the hts pvr addon with the compiled version.

Thanks, UbuntuUser
(2018-08-20, 08:43)UbuntuUser Wrote:
Code:
cd xbmc

Now build as usual.    
Well after hours of trying I did get it installed, however I had 2 issues.  1 was after the patch it did fix the 4:2:2 not using Hardware decoding, which was great but it also turned off Hardware decoding for 4:2:0 which worked fine with Hardware decoding.  2 was I could not for the life of me figure out how to install the hts pvr addon with the compiled version.

Thanks, UbuntuUser  
 You are really wasting your time on v17. Even if the mentioned commit does apply, it may not work on this version. I made it for v18. I haven't compiled or run v17 in more than a year.
Code:
cd xbmc

Now build as usual.   

Thanks, UbuntuUser 
 See above. Use v18. And some more advice: There are alternatives to HTS as well.
(2018-08-20, 10:03)FernetMenta Wrote:
Code:
cd xbmc

Now build as usual.     

Thanks, UbuntuUser   
 You are really wasting your time on v17. Even if the mentioned commit does apply, it may not work on this version. I made it for v18. I haven't compiled or run v17 in more than a year. 
Well I am willing to try 18, but my question is, is it in the nightlies already or would I have to complie it?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia graphics: Any way to disable VDPAU hardware decoding for 4:2:2 playback only?0