Kodi on Raspberry Pi no longer connects to Windows 10 for media streaming
Okay.  First time poster here.  But I've been trying to find answers for the last 4 hours and have had no luck.

So I boot up my Raspberry Pi to watch a movie that is located on my windows 10 machine.  It was functioning just fine two weeks ago.  But all the movies in my library are no longer available because (For some reason) Kodi can no longer connect to my PC.  I have tried this on two separate Raspberry pies that were connecting a little over two weeks ago.  Same problem on both.  I have reviewed every setting I can think of on both the Raspberry pi's and the PC.  Nothing seems off.

The error I consistently get is "Connection timed out".  I've tried to re-connect using a new network location.  Same problem.

I keep thinking windows update must have done something but have seen no other complaints as I search online.  And, like I said, I reviewed my settings (network connections, File sharing, SMB, passwords, etc) and everything seems to be the same.  Is there something obvious I am missing here?
Your Windows 10 machine has likely gotten updates in the last couple of days, that has removed/disabled the SMBv1 Samba network functionality. FYI, SMBv1 is basically the proverbial Swiss cheese when it comes to computer network security: anyone can come in and have fun. And yes, our forum has plenty of questions why their network isn't working anymore.

Versions SMBv2 and up are more strict. You will need a (preferably non-admin) user with a password to connect. Also, network browsing for SMB has been disabled. You can set up a source in Kodi via the "Add a network location..." option, and enter full credentials for your (new) SMB connection.

Depending on the OS you are using to run Kodi (which is only an application), other settings may need to be set accordingly.
Yeah.  I read about how unsafe smbv1 is.  I have tried setting the smb version on the Raspberry Pi running Kodi to smbv2 and smbv3 and have still had no success connecting.  I also made sure that a username and password were attached to the "New network location" as well as the correct ISP.  I tried the "445" thing also.  I am doing everything I have read online to connect again and I can't think what else I am missing.  Any ideas on what else I am missing would be very helpful.  Throw them all out!  I'll try each of them!
I would suggest to remove the existing network share on the Windows side and create a completely new one. If that share was created at times Windows still had the SMB1 feature enabled, then this might be the issue.

On the LibreELEC side make sure you have min SMB2 and max SMB3 enabled. Then use the "Add network location" to add the share, fill out the dialog which comes up asking for the server IP (your Windows machine) and the path to the share. if you don't know the exact path to that share, open a console at Windows and enter net share. Then you will see the exacty paths to all of your shares. Add that to the dialog. You don't need to enter anything for your ISP and also shouldn't need to specify some port.
Have you found a solution for your problem? I have spent hours over hours without success trying to get streaming from my Windows 10 to my Raspberry Pi work. Network server not found, connection time out. Worked fine last spring.
Hi,
I have the same issue. I was using SMBv1 Samba network because i wasn't able to make SMBv2 and SMBv3 working. A recent windows update has screwed this and my sharing is not working anymore.
i have tried many (MANY !) ways to make it works without success.
I think i have followed what i have read here and there :
Today i have made a setup from scratch (both kodi and windows)
- On windows, I have just shared a folder. I didn't create any workgroup.
- my kodi is set up with SMB2 and max SMB3 enabled.
- Then i add a network location. I put my Ip adress, the path of the sharing (i have tried D:/FILENAME, //FILENAME) and then login and password of my windows session.
It still doesn't work.
I am lost because i don't understand why it doesn't work. I don't want to use an additionnal software on my pc like Plex to be able to share. I don't see the point as this sharing should really easy to setup.
If anyone can help, that would be great
Thank you
A couple of comments on this:
  • Be careful of the user name you use, as depending on what sort of account you're using (local or MS) it may not be exactly the one you think it is. In Win10 go to PC settings > accounts > your info to find out which type of account you're using and what the actual username is.
  • Leave the path initially blank in the network location, just put the IP address, username and password.

On the latter one it's the share name within the PC itself, so it won't be either of the two you list above. It will appear on the network as //machine.ip.address/sharename, so something like 192.168.0.2/movies or suchlike.

For the first one, it's often easier to create a specific new local user which has read (or read/write if you wish) access to the folders you want to share, and then use its login credentials. There is often confusion as to the actual username for MS account log-ins, so that way can be simpler to set up and also easier to control.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thank you for your answer.
I have tried all your advises and unfortunatelly it is still not working.
I have tried some other stuff in parallel. I have tried to share with another laptop and my TV provider box. I have managed to make the share work but to do that, i had to add the folder to the windows media player library.
It wasn't working only with the standard folder sharing on my computer.
I think I am missing something on my windows 10 setup. I don't have (or can't find) the option to create workgroups anymore which i find strange.
Some elements of workgroups (for example homegroup) were removed from Windows in around build 1803.

For the actual workgroup itself, go to control panel > system and then on the main page there, about half way down you can change the PC's name and workgroup. That said I don't think the workgroup has much bearing on this issue, but that's where you find it anyway.

Sharing under Win10 is now something of a pain to be honest, as you can see by several threads on the topic in the various sections of this area for different OS's trying to do exactly what you're trying (and often failing too).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on Raspberry Pi no longer connects to Windows 10 for media streaming0