[WINDOWS] Stream any "DirectSound output" to XBMC from a PC?
edit: consider the offer revoked and the bounty cancelled. if anyone is interested in doing this still, then contact me, i'll probably still be game for funding you, but don't do any work expecting to be paid without checking with me first.

offer:
i will personally paypal $50 to whoever can create a winamp 5 compatible plugin that seamlessly streams music straight to the xbox and plays it. this is a similar concept to itunes and the airport express. i would like when i have this output plugin loaded in winamp for my music to come out of the speakers connected to my xbox instead of the speakers on my laptop.

conditions:
the product must not be complicated to install. i.e. i do not want to have to be running a separate stream server on my computer in addition to the plugin or anything like that. while perfection may not be necessary, i reserve the sole right to determine whether or not i am satisfied, and my satisfaction is required for payment to be made. for example, if you provide a product which only works 1 out of 100 times, and crashes 99% of the time, i will not be satisfied. your output must be usable for me on a day to day basis, not just a proof of concept. i reserve the right to terminate this offer at any time if i do so in good faith.

possible suggestion:
maybe somebody could design or modify an existing plugin that creates a shoutcast stream, and simultaneously sends the necessary web server commands to xbmc so that it starts playing, so that to the user all that he sees is hitting the play button on winamp. alternatively, i'd be willing to accept some sort of program that would just send all system sounds to the xbox, as opposed to a winamp plugin, but that seems much harder.

background/rationale:
i would like to play my music over my home theater from my laptop. i was thinking of buying something like a soundblaster audigy nx, but then decided i'd rather have this. this would let me stream music wirelessly from my laptop, like what mac users do with their airport expresses. additionally, i'd rather support the community and xbmc and have something everyone could use rather than just waste the money on an audigy. the developers for xbmc have already made clear this is not something they're willing to work on, so the only alternative left was this.

additionally, if anyone else is interested in this, and would be willing to chip in the pot to try and attract a programmer's help, that'd be a great help. Smile
just out of curiosity, what is the point of a feature like this? xbmc can already play mp3s from your pc using shares, so what is the advantage of streaming across winamp 5's output to do essentially the same thing (i.e. play music from your pc on your ht)?
Star 
(vidikron @ jan. 13 2005,15:43 Wrote:what is the point of a feature like this?  xbmc can already play mp3s from your pc using shares, so what is the advantage of streaming across winamp 5's output
the decoding would be done on the pc by winamp, so anything winamp can play xbmc could play through it, (ex codecs that xbmc don't support yet) :d
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
ahh.. that makes sense. thanks.
(vidikron @ jan. 13 2005,15:43 Wrote:just out of curiosity, what is the point of a feature like this? xbmc can already play mp3s from your pc using shares, so what is the advantage of streaming across winamp 5's output to do essentially the same thing (i.e. play music from your pc on your ht)?
personally, because i keep most of my mp3s on my laptop due to the annoying file name issues on the xbox. and the pc has a much, much better user interface for playing mp3s.

like i said before, it's pretty much like apple's airport express concept the way it can play over your home theater music streamed over your lan/wifi.
Smile 
i think you are making your life far more complicated than it has to be. i keep all of my mp3s on my pc, and use j. river media jukebox to play them when in front of the pc. when upstairs and in front of the tv hooked into my stereo, i use the xbox. i modified my xboxmediacenter.xml file so that when i go into my music in xbmc, it pulls up my mp3 directory on my pc. i have music categorized by album, so i just pick any album i feel like listening to via its directory. i have also created many m3u files in j. river which all found in the playlist section. if i want to listen to a mix, i just launch the relevant playlist.

i can't see how i can improve on this setup. all my mp3 files are stored locally on the pc, and are not on the xbox. but all are streamed via the smb shares perfectly. using the shuffle option in xbmc, i have an unlimited variety of music via my m3u files. and all of that with very limited modifications of existing xbmc files! how could winamp possibly do betterHuh?

r.
(rooster6975 @ jan. 24 2005,21:52 Wrote:i think you are making your life far more complicated than it has to be. i keep all of my mp3s on my pc, and use j. river media jukebox to play them when in front of the pc. when upstairs and in front of the tv hooked into my stereo, i use the xbox. i modified my xboxmediacenter.xml file so that when i go into my music in xbmc, it pulls up my mp3 directory on my pc. i have music categorized by album, so i just pick any album i feel like listening to via its directory. i have also created many m3u files in j. river which all found in the playlist section. if i want to listen to a mix, i just launch the relevant playlist.

i can't see how i can improve on this setup. all my mp3 files are stored locally on the pc, and are not on the xbox. but all are streamed via the smb shares perfectly. using the shuffle option in xbmc, i have an unlimited variety of music via my m3u files. and all of that with very limited modifications of existing xbmc files! how could winamp possibly do betterHuh?

r.
playing the music on the xbox just isn't the same. as good an effort as has been made, playing music on the xbox is just awkward unless you're using preconstructed playlists. it's slow to load directory listings, it's slow to find what you're looking for, it's a hassle to have to deal with in general compared to using a computer. the interface could possibly be improved (emulate an ipod wheel with a joystick) but as is it's pretty hard to use.

also winamp supports a lot of formats that xbmc doesn't.

really i know i'm not out totally in left field, since the airport express is selling well. i dunno, well it seems like there's no interest in this besides me. i guess i'll break down and just by an airport.

consider the offer revoked and the bounty cancelled. if anyone is interested in doing this still, then contact me, i'll probably still be game for funding you, but don't do any work expecting to be paid without checking with me first.
this shouldn't be terrifically hard to do (although having not written a winamp plugin i'm not sure how hard that is).
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

why not create a ms dos batch file, that tells shoutcast to start, and play the platlist.

batch file then tells the pc to connect to the xbox web interface and tell it a command.

if you ask me, this seems useless, considering you have smb shares... and... you could just go to your xbox using the web interface, select the stream to your laptop, and just use your laptop to play the playlist like usual.
just use the web interface and network shares. no need for extra hardware you dont need. (i.e. airport cause its just a wireless router with a fancy apple on it)
the only reason i can think of that it may be slow to load directories it that you have the lookup on the web still turned on. turn that off. it will stop trying to lookup album art and so forth every time you load a dir. for me, as soon as i hit my music in xbmc, i have my directory listing of some 3000 mp3s. as soon as i pick any album (my albums are all subdirectories), i see the files immediately. this was only once i turned off the web lookup though, it was definitely slower before. now it is easily as fast as my computer.

by i do agree with you that pre-created playlists are the way to go. they way i usually play music is to pick a playlist and turn on shuffle. then i turn off the tv and let the xbox pick the songs randomly from the playlist. most of my playlists are 6-10 hours of music by genre, so i rarely have to start a new one once i have launched whatever i felt like listening to. the xbox is outputing directly to my stereo so i don't need to go through any device (ie. tv, vcr, etc...) and the sound is crisp.

works for me, man.

r.
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a simple way to forward audio to the Xbox from my PC. I know you can set up an audio stream that the xbox can connect to but i want something that is in the background. I am imagining something like a special driver that installs as another sound card the passes audio to an IP. Does this exist? Is there anything close?

Thanks for any info,
Mitchell
not unless you find one that produces a shoutcast stream.
What is the simplest way to stream audio from Windows XP to XBMC? I would like to use Winamp (or some similar player) to stream music using my home-network to my TV sound-system. I thought that XBMC would be a nice way to do this, but I haven't found a nice and simple solution for it. I looked into the Winamp+Shoutcast plugin+Shoutcast distributor solution, but it seems overly complex. Ideally I would want an audio driver that works as a server that transmits all sound outputted by my PC using a network-stream requested by XBMC, but a winamp plugin instead of an audio-driver would also work.

Anyone has any suggestions?
I may have misunderstood your question but why not just point xbmc at your music files/folders and play them straight from XBMC?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Stream any "DirectSound output" to XBMC from a PC?0