HEVC hardware decoder
I am sorry if this was already covered in this forum and my search-fu was not enough to find, but I would like to know if Kodi does support Raspberry Pi 4 HEVC hardware decoder. If so, from what version? Is it supported by ffmepeg? It seems to not be in mainline, but I found this branch from a Kodi developer (couldn't make it work). Is this the patch used by Kodi? Or is it something else? Thanks.
(2019-08-22, 00:20)lvella Wrote: I would like to know if Kodi does support Raspberry Pi 4 HEVC hardware decoder.

Yes, but it will depend on your distribution.

(2019-08-22, 00:20)lvella Wrote: If so, from what version?

Kodi 18.3 (shipped in LibreELEC 9.2alpha).

(2019-08-22, 00:20)lvella Wrote: Is it supported by ffmepeg?

Yes, with out-of-tree patches (which you've identified, and included in LibreELEC 9.2alpha).

(2019-08-22, 00:20)lvella Wrote: but I found this branch from a Kodi developer (couldn't make it work). Is this the patch used by Kodi? Or is it something else? Thanks.

This patch is provided by @popcornmix from the Raspberry Pi Foundation for use with Kodi. It's used by LibreELEC and I believe there are efforts to get it to work with ARCH and maybe also Raspbian.

If you have an RPi4 I would suggest you test with the latest LibreELEC 9.2alpha (at the time of writing this is version 9.1.002) as that's going to be the easiest way to get hardware 4K HEVC decode working (it just... works).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2019-08-22, 01:49)Milhouse Wrote: This patch is provided by @popcornmix from the Raspberry Pi Foundation for use with Kodi. It's used by LibreELEC and I believe there are efforts to get it to work with ARCH and maybe also Raspbian. 
But Kodi build automatically downloads, patches and builds FFmpeg. Are you saying that the FFmpeg build used by LibreELEC's is special in that it includes RPi HEVC decoding, while a generic Kodi 18.3 build does not? Is there any CMake switch I can enable during Kodi build so that the RPi HEVC patch is applied automatically?

I am trying to do it in Ubuntu 18.04 (no cross compile, directly on device... not very wise, I know).
We build the same patched version for Arch ARM.  See the PKGBUILD and adapt for your use case.  Note this one required a bit of patched to get it to build.  Links to all the work if you need them:

Need help programming a Streamzap remote?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC hardware decoder0