Node Editor
(2019-10-28, 19:16)wcndave Wrote:
(2019-10-28, 18:09)Harro Wrote:
(2019-10-27, 20:09)wcndave Wrote: Yes, using the mod2 skin, it would be incredible if there was a solution - could roll it out across the house!   
Is this what you have in mind?    

Hi, thanks for taking the time to try to help with this.
That's not really what I had in mind, I am ok to do that already ;-)

I guess my previous description was not accurate.

Under movies, have the following rows.
  • small categories (all other icons are "large") [A - Z] [Recently Added] [Genres]
  • Kids, Family, Other: [Kids Movies Icon -> launches list of kids movies] [Family Movies icon -> launches list of family movies]
  • in progress - as is
Video:
  • small categories
  • [Music -> links to all music videos], special interest, sport
  • doc TV, doc Movies, Other
  • Home Movies
So, the thing is that widgets shows the results of what you select, as a row.
I would like to have a page of icons so I can select one category on left menu, then select a sub category on main page.
So the "click-flow" might be:
  • Films, kids, > list <
  • Films, Other, > list <
  • Videos, TV Docs, > list <
If you have 100 tv documentaries, you don't want to horizontally scroll through that on the "home page".

Does that make sense?

Thanks, Dave    
I guess I am missing out on what you really are looking for. It makes more sense to me to show the main items on the left , while on the right showing the items. Example.

If you did it this way, you could then make your main items how you want and have those items show on the right. But by clicking the item on left it would show all media for that item.

This is the idea I have.

Is it something like this you want?

If so you need to get your hands dirty by modifiying xml files.

[edit] The above was done on normal Estuary hence needing to edit xml, however it looks like it can be done on Mod version by modifying displayed widgets in the skin settings.

So using the Estuary Mod I can get the below without editing xml

(2019-10-29, 12:28)jjd-uk Wrote: Is it something like this you want?

If so you need to get your hands dirty by modifiying xml files.

[edit] The above was done on normal Estuary hence needing to edit xml, however it looks like it can be done on Mod version by modifying displayed widgets in the skin settings.

So using the Estuary Mod I can get the below without editing xml

So those 3 items in the middle row, "kids-family-others" , you some how managed to put together a single widget containing just those 3 items using widget options in skin settings ?
(2019-10-30, 00:17)ontap Wrote: d
So those 3 items in the middle row, "kids-family-others" , you some how managed to put together a single widget containing just those 3 items using widget options in skin settings ?

Yep, in fact did that for the top 2 rows. In each case created a new parent node under Movies, then underneath those the child nodes (Kids/Family/Others) that contain the rules and link to the listings. So when configuring the widget in skin settings you just point at the parent node under Movies.

You can also edit Home.xml in normal Estuary and configure a widget to point to library://video/movies/parent_node_name for example.
(2019-10-28, 20:39)Harro Wrote: I guess I am missing out on what you really are looking for. It makes more sense to me to show the main items on the left , while on the right showing the items

Yes, we all have different ways of consuming media I guess.

I don't feel my method is that unusual.  Basically browsing a collection of more than say 20 titles, is really better using full screen with either mosaic for TV, or some info mode for films, so you can look through properly.  The idea of showing 5 titles from 500, and scrolling right to get more, seems odd - It's rarely going to be those 5 I want.

Recently added or in progress, or next episode, those I can understand.

So it makes sense (to me) to have the left menu item go to "everything", and then on the right have sub categories to quickly get to common lists, like kids, family etc.  

Currently on the Dune, I have Kids as top menu, and then under that they can select movies or tv.  It would be the same concept on Kodi, however I can't see exactly how it can be done.

I think the left menu should be non-scrolling, so it always starts at the top, and nothing is hidden from users, so that means I can't put all these things down the left side, and if I did, the right side would show only one row, not a navigable page, so then the right side of home page is meaningless and you'd just want a set of large icons to go straight to what you want, or to go to the next level of navigation...

Although it does look like on your 4k screenshot, that you have multiple rows on the right side, not sure how you did that.

I do think allowing a widget to wrap would be really good.

However I see @jjd-uk looks to have got closer below, so that's progress, just wanted to help explain my thoughts as you were kind enough to respond.
Kodi Leia on Pi-4 running LibreElec. in production with family, and another one for testing.
(2019-10-30, 00:52)jjd-uk Wrote:

Yep, in fact did that for the top 2 rows. In each case created a new parent node under Movies, then underneath those the child nodes (Kids/Family/Others) that contain the rules and link to the listings. So when configuring the widget in skin settings you just point at the parent node under Movies.

You can also edit Home.xml in normal Estuary and configure a widget to point to library://video/movies/parent_node_name for example. 

This is exactly what I did earlier https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2895287

However what I found was that keyboard navigation didn't work in that row.  mouse and touch navigation was fine, however for a remote it won't work.

I'll have another go now.
Kodi Leia on Pi-4 running LibreElec. in production with family, and another one for testing.
(2019-10-30, 12:18)wcndave Wrote:
(2019-10-30, 00:52)jjd-uk Wrote:

This is exactly what I did earlier https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2895287

However what I found was that keyboard navigation didn't work in that row.  mouse and touch navigation was fine, however for a remote it won't work.

I'll have another go now.

Navigation works for me using the keyboard cursor keys (as no remote on my desktop setup I use for testing) after creating those in the Movies section as a proof of concept, and remote navigation should be no different, however didn't try Videos section as you had done in your earlier posts.
Only thing different I've done is create the nodes directly in xml within the filesystem as once you understand the xml it's far easier and quicker than the node editor.

My test structure is:

Under Movies created folders Categories and Main

Categories contains the nodes I wanted to show on 1st row

Main contain the nodes I wanted to show on 2nd row

Then simply pointed the widget settings to them

(2019-10-30, 12:15)wcndave Wrote: I do think allowing a widget to wrap would be really good.

Just noticed this comment, widgets do wrap here.
So I created a new test parent node under the system node movies.

Called moviesParent

And under it a node called KidsNode

With the Rules, and if you navigate nodes, and select this, it shows what you expect/want

In the menu editor (mod2), I select "set type of widgets" and choose the personalize one

Then 8 items version

keep the name for now

Then you can select up to 8 widgets, so under "select widget 1" i choose the video library

It's in the movies node

MoviesParent that I created at the start

Now that appears on my main page.  All good.  However I cannot get to it using the arrow keys, or any other keyboard method

Using VNC I can get to it if I enable mouse / touch and then hover over it.

Did you manage to get your version working using different steps? Or is something else odd going on.  I basically tried this method quite early on, and failed due to not being able to navigate with keys (remote).
ok, just tried this under movies, and it works, under videos it doesn't work....

I will play a little more.

BTW: what widgets wrap?  I've never seen one that wrapped, they all go off the right side of the page.
(2019-10-30, 13:21)wcndave Wrote: ok, just tried this under movies, and it works, under videos it doesn't work....

I will play a little more.
Ok perhaps there is a skin or skin shortcuts bug then.

(2019-10-30, 13:21)wcndave Wrote: BTW: what widgets wrap?  I've never seen one that wrapped, they all go off the right side of the page.

All widgets shown on my screenshot wrap meaning when you get to the end on the right most item on the row it wraps to the left most item on the row.
estuary mod dose not fully support nodes
there are 2 links
i kinks to folder  library://video/widgets/movies/row1/

2nd links to xml library://video/widgets/movies/row1/row1.xml
plugin with widget link to xml file
(2019-10-30, 13:31)jjd-uk Wrote: All widgets shown on my screenshot wrap meaning when you get to the end on the right most item on the row it wraps to the left most item on the row.

Sorry, bad definition of wrap.... 
I mean that they wrap onto the next row / line, and that they don't disappear off the page...

Then I could use categories for everything.
(2019-10-30, 14:58)the_other_guy Wrote: estuary mod dose not fully support nodes
there are 2 links
i kinks to folder  library://video/widgets/movies/row1/

2nd links to xml library://video/widgets/movies/row1/row1.xml
plugin with widget link to xml file
I'm sorry, it's probably me, however I have no idea what you're talking about... other than the first line that MOD doesn't support nodes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Node Editor0