Linux Kodi won't start after being run once without rebooting Pi
Whenever I've started Kodi once, I cant get it to start again without having to reboot my Pi. This wouldn't be a big problem if it weren't for the fact that I've got other services running which I would rather not have to interrupt every time I want to run Kodi. This is the error message I get:

Code:
*@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo kodi
[sudo] password for *:
DRM_IOCTL_MODE_CREATE_DUMB failed: Cannot allocate memory
Failed to create scanout resource
DRM_IOCTL_MODE_CREATE_DUMB failed: Cannot allocate memory
Failed to create scanout resource
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): eglSwapBuffers failed
Aborted (core dumped)
Crash report available at /root/kodi_crashlog-20200122_211209.log
[E] Invalid arguments ' '

With the accompanying error report: https://paste.kodi.tv/uwidunehac.kodi

Every once in a while it is possible to run it without rebooting though, but I haven't been able to find a pattern in this. Shutdown procedure doesn't seem to matter. I've tried exiting via the menus and with the kill command. As well as ctrl+c through the terminal running kodi, I don't know if that's really the same as using the kill signal or not. Any clue as to how to fix this issue? Thanks in advance for any replies!
NOTICE: Starting Kodi (18.4 Git:20190912-07f12847db-dirty)
Why a dirty build? Raspbian has a normal build available via its own repository.

NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.
Debugging was not enabled, although I doubt we'll get more info relating to the non-start.

Which RPi model is this with?
What is gpu_mem value set to?
To be honest, I don't know! I wasn't aware I had a dirty build, or even what it was prior to you pointing it out. I'm pretty sure I just installed it via apt-get as per the instructions here: https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko...i#Raspbian. This was a while ago though.

Model is RPi4B.

gpu_mem is set to 64. Is this lower than typically recommended?

It's quite late here now. But I'll try and reinstall Kodi tomorrow and see if that results in a normal build and report back here if it solves the issue.
gpu_mem should be iirc 320, so yes yours is much too low. It does depend a bit on what version of the Pi4 you have though. If it's the 1GB you may need to trim that down to 256.

Set it in the config.txt file in the boot partition of the uSD card (put it into a PC and that partition is the one that can be read - ignore any errors about issues with other partitions if they appear).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi won't start after being run once without rebooting Pi0