Intel Atom performance compared to Xbox?
Geeba Wrote:Hmmm fill me in on the Killer sample?? would mind trying it on my brute! Wink

Sure, here it is give it a go Smile

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ight=killa
Exclamation 
I know the Atom line of processors has been discussed. However I have a specific question. I am building a standard definition unit only for playback.

I am looking to know if standard def 720x480 playback is possible with a Atom processor and a nvidia geforce 8400 video card. I will be using SVideo connection to regular old plain TV with stereo sound.

Unlike many people, I only have 1 hi-def machine. I am looking for a low cost solution. AT 65 dollars for a motherboard and processor, if the unit will perform, this is the best solution.

D945GCLF Atom Intel 230
1 gig of DDR2 533 memory
1 80gig SATA Seagate 7200.10 hard drive
1 PNY VCG84R2SXPB GeForce 8400 GS 256MB

Grand Total Cost is $250 for a standard def XBMC device.

Thanks.

Apex Dm-387 MicroATX Slim case
I've got an x2 5600+ at 2.9 ghz with an 8600 gt and Killa Sample is no go. It drops a few hundred frames and there is no audio. However, I have no issue with any "real" content-- plenty of full-size blu-ray rips are playing fine, including reference stuff like die hard 4, 2001, and blade runner.

I would still reccomend Intel unless you have a super-compelling reason for choosing AMD. It's a safer bet.
@everyone, have you please ever heard of thread hijacking? This thread is about "Intel Atom performance", nothing else!
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Forum_F...conduct.3F

Grast Wrote:I am building a standard definition unit only for playback.

I am looking to know if standard def 720x480 playback is possible with a Atom processor and a nvidia geforce 8400 video card. I will be using SVideo connection to regular old plain TV with stereo sound.

Unlike many people, I only have 1 hi-def machine. I am looking for a low cost solution. AT 65 dollars for a motherboard and processor, if the unit will perform, this is the best solution.

D945GCLF Atom Intel 230
1 gig of DDR2 533 memory

Grand Total Cost is $250 for a standard def XBMC device.
That is actually overkill for standard-definition, I suggest getting a cheaper Intel Atom based machine if standard-definition playback is all that you are looking for, ...or why not just use an Xbox, or a cheaper computer, (a 1GHz Pentium III and 256MB RAM with onboard graphics should be fine for standard-definition playback).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Bump!

20$ Xbox will do i better! and its DESIGNED to be plugged into a TV! comes in Composite/SCART/Svideo and Componet flavors... and the software is more mature IMO.
that mobo has a PCI slot, NOT a PCI express, so that vid card is not going to work

Grast Wrote:I

D945GCLF Atom Intel 230
1 gig of DDR2 533 memory
The main reason I was going with a Atom is price and heat mainly. I am trying to get a passively cooled unit which is as small as possible. If price were no option, I would have chosen a Silverstone stylish case. As such, it is good to know that my options are open for a standard def unit.

Thanks.
Yes, But a Xbox is quite large, an external power supply, and quite loud. The goal of my project is to build a unit for standard definition play-back with passive cooling and small size possible. The ATOM process at 4 watts is passivly cooled. Actually, I have found the current chipset on Intel mini-ITX boards displaces 25 watts of heat. Some of the boards require active cooling.

A low profile case with a 125 watt internal power supply and a low speed 80 mm fan will be able to cool and be silent with a ATOM processor setup.

Thanks.
Mr B.

You are correct. I posted the incorrect video card. PNY has a pci version of the same chipset for the same price with low pci brackets. If I had more experience with the Intel drivers, I would not even need the video card. I would just need a monitor which supports DVI in.

Thanks for the correction
External power supply? on an Xbox? nope... turn the fan down in XBMC trust me you can hardly hear it especially if you have a ver 1.1 onwards... no GPU fan... if your really worrid about it an Akasa 80mm will puy a stop to anything you can hear over even the lowest volume setting...
ASUS Eee Box is an Intel Atom based computer for $350(US) => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35938

Nod
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Just found out about open-end pci-e x1 for using a pci-e x16 graphic card and wondered if this could be used to get VDPAU on a Atom 230 system?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page..._12_0.html

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Atom performance compared to Xbox?0