Windows file sharing for recorded TV vs videos
Hello,

I'm sure mine is an elementary question, but I've looked around and can't find an answer, so I'll ask it here.  I hope I've picked the right forum.

I use NPVR as my backend for recording TV.  It runs on a Windows 10 computer.  I also run Kodi on that machine and on a Raspberry Pi running OSMC.  The Pi is configured as a client to NPVR.  The Pi accesses video files independent of NPVR on that machine via SMB.  NPVR saves recorded TV programs to a shared directory on the Windows 10 machine.  They are also accessed on the Pi.

I've struggled recently with SMB access as Microsoft has deprecated SMBv1.  In particular, I've had problems accessing my SMB shares in Kodi.  I've got that sorted out now; it's no longer a problem.  In the process of sorting that out, though, I couldn't help but notice that I've never had any problem accessing my recorded TV programs, which are also saved in a shared folder on the Windows 10 machine.  I'm wondering why.  Does NPVR use some other file-sharing protocol?

I'm sure I'm missing something basic.  Thanks in advance for any help.
The addon typically uses http to stream recordings.   It could optionally use the file system if you had a client on the same machine as the backend or used advancedsetting.xml path substitution, but that isn't necessary.

Martin
(2020-11-20, 22:23)emveepee Wrote: The addon typically uses http to stream recordings.   It could optionally use the file system if you had a client on the same machine as the backend or used advancedsetting.xml path substitution, but that isn't necessary.

Martin

Thank you, Martin.  I understand things much more clearly now.  I had somehow convinced myself that I needed to define a video source for all recorded TV programs, but that's not necessary.  NPVR has access to all the files it creates on the "server" and then just streams them, together with anything it scraped, to the client.

This whole adventure started for me as I contemplated moving from TVDB to TVMaze.  Until now, I hadn't realized that NPVR had its own scraper.
PVR addons all use client scraping.  From the NextPVR forum I saw you are in the US where you would probably be using Schedules Direct.  The meta art from the SD EPG is close to 100% so no scraping is required, the API gives hard links so the move to TV Maze won't really impact you.

Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows file sharing for recorded TV vs videos0