• 2(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO get XBMC for Windows to work with remote control via IR Server Suite
daveUK Wrote:how do you launch XBMC from the remote?

OK, here's how I did it in Vista with a RC6 VMC remote:

I wanted to use the "Start" (Windows) button on my remote to launch XBMC. By default, this starts VMC. To get around this, do the following:

- Start the "Input Service Configuration" which is the core of IR Server Suite
- Scroll down to "Microsoft MCE" and click "Configure"
- On the "Remote" tab, check the box for "Disable Automatic Buttons"
- The service will then ask to restart to apply changes - let it.

Now, when you press the start button on the VMC remote, nothing should happen. Good...now we can make it do what we want. Big Grin

- Set "Translator" to run as Administrator. If you don't, this will never work Wink
- Open "Translator"
- Click "New" to create a new system wide action.

You will be prompted to press the button on the remote you want to assign the action to. In my case, I pressed start (button code 31730). As long as the code was accepted, you should now see the "Button Mapping" dialogue.

- Click the "Run" tab

I used the the following settings for mine, modify yours accordingly...
Description: Start XBMC
Application: C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe
Start Folder: C:\Program Files\XBMC\
Parameters: -fs -p
Window Style: Normal
All other options unchecked

- When done, press set.
- Minimize "Translator" and press the button you chose to launch XBMC.

You can tell Translator to start with Windows by checking the box on the main Translator window but it's just going to be blocked. Of course you can always click the blocked startup programs and allow it to run every time you reboot but that's just annoying if you ask me so leave it unchecked. Create a task scheduler event that runs Translator at startup instead. If you haven't done this before, you'll find this guide handy: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread....&p=6509411.
Cam73 Wrote:Im a long time XBMC (XBOX)

2. Plug Microsoft MCE v2 USB receiver into USB port (drivers detected and installed automatically)

I am not familiar with all the remote.
is this the microsoft media remote that comes with Microsoft HTPC?
if it is can u post a link where i can get one?
There are many, many options for remotes / usb receivers. My suggestion is to just google "mce usb receiver" or "mce remote".

Simply as a point of reference, here is the one that I have: http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us...Center.htm
roeroe Wrote:I am not familiar with all the remote.
is this the microsoft media remote that comes with Microsoft HTPC?
if it is can u post a link where i can get one?

My remote is this one: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mousea...px?pid=065

I bought mine from my wholesale supplier (in a box o 3) so that wont help you too much... but with the info on the MS page i suspect you can find one easy enough.
AS for people having trouble...are you using the same remote as me?

I know there are heaps of different remotes. Ultimately XBMC will work with all/most remotes but for now I can only say that this worked with the MS remote.

This has worked for a few other people as well...which I’m glad to see.

I’m no expert on this, so if you have different remotes all I can suggest is you try it with a MS one (buy if money is not an issue, borrow if it is...at least until you know it works).

I have actually stopped using the original MS remote...I am now using my MX-810 remote: http://www.universalremote.com/product_d...?model=128
I still use the MS receiver... which of course is the important part as far as XBMC goes.
psike Wrote:it don't work. it saying:
Reciver plugin not found: Hauppage
No transmit plugin loaded

anything else that i can try?

Hauppage is a brand of TV tuner...are you using the MS receiver or does your TV tuner have a built in IR receiver.

If using MS then perhaps the TV tuner is interfering with it some how (you could try removing it as a test - if playing with hardware is your thing...)

If your not using the MS one then my little guide may simply not apply to you..sorry.
BAG_Ass Wrote:Cam73
Aha, sure.
And now try to add xbmc to startup folder and see how it woun`t work `cose IuputService don`t fully run before xbmc starts.

Yes...I’ve read about this problem on the forums.

My solution is simple..... my HTPC is never off, and its dedicated to the function, i.e. it only ever runs XBMC, prior to using XBMC for Windows it was used with PowerDVD to watch HD content and my XBox would run XBMC. So if I ever do reboot it I just manfully restart XBMC and all works well again.

The only problem with this setup is that occasionally when i switch to my HTPC after not having used XBMC for a while (overnight for example) the XBMC gui has frozen and needs to be CAD'd to kill the task and start again.

I’m sure greater stability will come as XBMC moves into beta and then a release version.
Harry Muscle Wrote:Anyone know if this would work with the original Xbox remote?

Thanks,
Harry

I tested this and it didnt work 'straight out of the box'.

I suspect it can be made to work but I didnt persue this im afraid.

So I guess the answer is if you want a 'idiot solution' that just works out of the box... then no, the origianl XBox remote doesnt work with my instructions.
I'm having an issure with IR Server Suite after hibernate. I put Vista Ultimate SP1 running XBMC in hibernate mode. When it wakes, everything is started back to where I last left it, but the remote no longer is responsive except for the direction buttons.
I have to restart IR Server Service and things are back to normal. Anyone know of a fix for this? I'd like to just use the remote to control the system.
supernoman Wrote:I'm having an issure with IR Server Suite after hibernate. I put Vista Ultimate SP1 running XBMC in hibernate mode. When it wakes, everything is started back to where I last left it, but the remote no longer is responsive except for the direction buttons.
I have to restart IR Server Service and things are back to normal. Anyone know of a fix for this? I'd like to just use the remote to control the system.

I noticed a similar problem yesterday with this. The difference being that my rig is always on. The service just randomly decides to stop after several hours. For example, it worked fine when I went to bed last night and this morning, the service has stopped again.

I started looking into this and there seems to be a known issue especially when resuming from hibernate. From what I can tell, they are working on this for the 1.4.3 final release due soon.

For now, the work around a few users have been trying is to open services and set the IRSS service to restart on failure. I set it this morning and I'm giving it a shot today.

I'll know if it worked or not when I get a call from the wife later saying the darn remote doesn't work again. =P
Cam73
and my system is down more time (big fan noise) i try to use standby but there is problems with wake up and opengl - audio-video desyncronisation Sad
Thanks for the update. I couldn't tell if IR Server Suite was being updated at all since the last release was in April.

TechLife Wrote:I noticed a similar problem yesterday with this. The difference being that my rig is always on. The service just randomly decides to stop after several hours. For example, it worked fine when I went to bed last night and this morning, the service has stopped again.

I started looking into this and there seems to be a known issue especially when resuming from hibernate. From what I can tell, they are working on this for the 1.4.3 final release due soon.

For now, the work around a few users have been trying is to open services and set the IRSS service to restart on failure. I set it this morning and I'm giving it a shot today.

I'll know if it worked or not when I get a call from the wife later saying the darn remote doesn't work again. =P
BAG_Ass Wrote:Cam73
and my system is down more time (big fan noise) i try to use standby but there is problems with wake up and opengl - audio-video desyncronisation Sad

I am quite lucky..all my gear (except TV and speakers) are located under the steps in my house and i use RF remote to control them and nice long HDMI cable rounted through the walls to the TV.

So even though the HTC isnt exactly quite, it cant be heard at all.

Based on the post from TechLife perhaps the new version will help you by allowing you to put the PC into hybernation.
Cam73
unfortunately i can not put pc to hibernation Sad my motherboard couldn`t start from hibernation with remote - only by button or ps/2 mouse/keyboard.
I have an update..

I tried this on my main HTPC last night... and while it worked at first (for a few mins) it stopped working and reverted to standard behaviour where only the navigation buttons worked.

I tried a few things and I got it working and I have a good idea what was causing it...

The main HTPC is running Vista Ultimate 32. It has actually had Media Centre run and configured and used for quite some time. The other test computers have never had media centre run.

What fixed it in the end was going into the IR Suite configuration and turning off the option that relates to windows handling some button presses...after a reboot it still didn’t work and a closer look at the IR Suite configuration showed a 'start' and 'stop' icon..and it indicated that IR suite wasn’t started...so I started it and all is now working 100%.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO get XBMC for Windows to work with remote control via IR Server Suite0