Recommend me a decent cheap box plus storage to play off of
My needs are probably pretty low-key compared to the average user on this forum - I'm just looking to replace an old WD TV Live that couldn't even do x265 with something that can. No untouched blu-ray rips or anything, just some decent-quality and x265 (and x264) encodes, as this thing's going to be attached to a 1080p TV without surround sound for the foreseeable future (though obviously more compatibility and some basic futureproofing won't hurt).

Also, my collection is played locally, not really interested in setting up a server or anything, so I wouldn't hate recs for reliable storage, either, since the old Passport I used is clearly about to die. Was thinking just a good-sized (think 500+ GB) thumb drive, but I see tons of complaints about them getting boiling-hot after a few minutes - even reliable brands have reviews where people post pictures with units that've partially melted, and this thing needs to at least be able to get through a movie, and maybe the occasional marathon, though I don't intend keep it on 24/7. I'm guessing thumb drives aren't a great medium for regular media playback? Do SD cards fare better, or are they prone to corruption with stuff like this? I'd go with a Passport or something similar again but it gave out a little faster than I was expecting. Any suggestions here appreciated.

Other considerations: wouldn't hate if it can run Android apps but not required if it's otherwise good, and wouldn't hate if it's available on Amazon (have some gift card credit from them I'd like to burn). Something with a sleep timer that actually turns off the device would be nice (I've had a couple boxes where the unit sleeps but attached storage just stays hot all night while I snore which seems, if nothing else, wasteful). 

As far as the box goes, I've considered (but am not married to):

RPi4 - Apparently it has hardware decoding for x265, but not clear on how well it runs other stuff, seems a little underpowered otherwise and I've heard it needs extra cooling which negates some of its cheapness.

Odroid N2 - Sounds like the only downside is that there could be cheaper options for my fairly simple needs, plus takes a little extra to set up (I can follow a tutorial as well as the next person, but I won't turn my nose up at something plug n' play).

Fire Stick 4k - Can apparently play off local storage with an OTG cable and some shenanigans, but again, other media players don't require the shenanigans. Also dunno how well it actually plays locally compared to streaming since that's what it's really designed for. Seems like a decent cheap option though.

Shield - probably OP for my needs, also it sounds like it gets picky with what storage it's willing to adopt, and doesn't run great if the storage ISN'T adopted? Seems pretty futureproof though.

A wide variety of Android boxes on Amazon that all seem indistinguishable and/or shady - like, there's one on there that's $20. I'm guessing that will burn my house down or something. But maybe there are actual decent ones mixed in there?

Mibox - sounds like a really solid mid-range box but will it still be supported a year from now? Also I think I read about some trouble specifically with attached storage (but at this point I've been researching so long that may be me misremembering or maybe that's old news, if so I apologize to Xiaomi for my cruel libel). 

Jumping off a bridge so I don't have to keep googling media players for the rest of my life - perhaps the smartest optionHuh

Any input appreciated!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommend me a decent cheap box plus storage to play off of0