Android Why does the Shield TV 2019 (Tube) stop/kill Kodi on high CPU usage?
Hi,
I am aware of all the Shield Tube crashes/stuttering-topics but I cannot find any reasons for this.
Kodi 19 works fine for me on the Shield TV 2019 Tube even for very high bitrate 4K/HDR movies (e.g. Gemini Man).
I had some annoying stuttering but I fixed it by enabling "Adjust Display Refresh Rate".
Without this option enabled (default setting) the output frame rate was 60 and the CPU usage was ~60-90% for 4K movies. Stuttering occrurred every few seconds.
With the option enabled, the output frame rate is 24 and the CPU usage is ~20-30% for 24p 4K HDR movies and 60 FPS and 60-70% CPU usage for HFR movies such as Gemini Man. So everthing as expected and no stuttering at all. (I used the Debug Infos from Kodi to get the frame rate and CPU usage)
However, if I go back to the main menu while a 24p 4K movie is playing, the frame rate jumps to the default 60FPS of the Kodi UI, the CPU usage goes up to 90% again and the UI becomes very laggy. 
If I scroll through my library while a 4k movie is playing in the background, the CPU usage goes above 100% and Kodi is stopped/killed after a few seconds.
After that the Shield goes back to the main menu and I can start Kodi again.

From the Kodi logs I cannot see why it was stopped:
Last entry was:
2021-03-02 13:13:05.899 T:18089   DEBUG <general>: ffmpeg[0x6dba5c80X]: [swscaler] No accelerated colorspace conversion found from yuv420p to bgra.
Last warning message was:
2021-03-02 13:13:05.556 T:18159 WARNING <general>: OutputPicture - timeout waiting for buffer
Last error message was:
2021-03-02 13:13:02.067 T:14220   ERROR <general>: CMediaCodecVideoBuffer::ReleaseOutputBuffer error in render(1)

I can prevent the problem by setting the frame rate of the UI to 25 FPS or avoid playing movies in the background. But in my opinion this is very hacky and I can't believe that this is the only solution.
Are there any other logs that could help to identify the real problem? Or is there a solution for this problem?
I know that many blame the Shield Tube and its 32bit OS but let us be honest, its most likely a software problem as the OS does not crash.
It doesn't have enough ram to play a 4k movie while navigating the menus. Just edit the back button to stop playback.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why does the Shield TV 2019 (Tube) stop/kill Kodi on high CPU usage?0