• 3(current)
Configuring & Adding SMB/Samba Network shares
(2022-06-23, 12:02)DubTime Wrote:
(2022-06-23, 10:18)jjd-uk Wrote: Try the advice in Post#19 to see if that works for you.

Hi jjd-uk,

Thanks for following up...

I tried the changes (both protocols =SMBv1, enable "Use legacy security"), but it still led to the same "Invalid argument" error.

Is it a password protected share?

What details do you have in

(2022-06-23, 15:22)jjd-uk Wrote: Is it a password protected share?

What details do you have in

As the Windows setup instructions indicated that the username & password entries could not be left blank, I entered the same info here as I did there, literally "U" and "P"...

Server = ALEX-DELL
Shared folder = Video

All of the above entries attempted in the tv app led to the currently working "smb://ALEX-DELL/Video" source on the laptop.
Btw, is it even necessary to have the tv version of the Kodi app installed in order to cast files from the pc?

Can the Windows Kodi cast to the tv as-is?

Furthermore, can the Kodi Android app be used as a remote control while the pc's files are casting to the tv?
(Or is its only function to access content from the phone itself? [I don't keep any media stored on my phone, and am intending to find a good Android remote-app for TV-viewing, so please clarify if it cannot do that and ought to be uninstalled].)
Casting in Kodi world is UPnP see
Forgive me, I'm a little more confused...

1) So re: comment #32 above, that's fine?

2) Comment #33, is the tv app installation necessary, or is just the Windows app required?
Can the Android (mobile) app act as a remote control or it just for accessing the phone's media?

3) Re: the video in #34, am I tweaking the "UPnP" settings in Windows or the tv app?
I put a question up here yesterday - It has been deleted - Why?
(2022-06-24, 00:47)bananabob Wrote: Ignore this I just found the post - Sorry I am new to this forum and still trying to get the hang of it.
(2022-06-23, 09:29)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2022-06-23, 06:29)bananabob Wrote: I gain access to my music by using the Zeroconf option. This works.
When I go to Settings > Media Settings > Music > Artist Information Folder There is no Zeroconf option available. Is this a bug or expected?
Try adding it as a source in the File Manager first, then I think it will be available.
I tried this an it still does not show a Zeroconf, or the name of the source in the list provided by Settings > Media Settings > Music > Artist Information Folder
If troubleshooting assistance is still possible, your feedback would be appreciated.

(2022-06-24, 00:31)DubTime Wrote: Forgive me, I'm a little more confused...

2) Comment #33, is the tv app installation necessary, or is just the Windows app required?
Can the Android (mobile) app act as a remote control or it just for accessing the phone's media?

3) Re: the video in #34, am I tweaking the "UPnP" settings in Windows or the tv app?
🤷🤷🤷

Is this forum, or at least this thread/section, not the best bet for requesting troubleshooting with Kodi difficulties?

Should I ask on Reddit? Github? Sourceforge? Or is there another suggested help site online to try?

Just to reiterate the issue plainly; on Windows, I've managed to configure Kodi (v19.4) that so when I open the program there's a proper 'Media Center' with sections for TV shows & Movies, containing artwork, Metadata, the ability to resume a file for watching etc...

Attempting to configure the smart tv app (v19.3 [still unclear how to update, btw]) the same way, via media sources such as "NFS", "UPnP", and "SMB" all lead to "Invalid argument" error messages.

The media folders in Windows have sharing enabled. Settings in both Kodi's are configured as advised by various tutorials.

More troubleshooting is requested, please.
Your best bet is probably to password protect your shares. Windows experience is complely irrelevant as it used the native smb in Windows, whereas all other OS's need to make use of 3rd party code to implement smb. If I can find the time I'll try and restest passwordless shares to make sure nothing has changed, but no promises.
(2022-06-24, 00:31)DubTime Wrote: Forgive me, I'm a little more confused...

Regarding UPnP.

You have your media already scanned in on your Windows PC don't you? so that would be your UPnP server which requires set up similar to 40 sec point in video.

Then you TV box would be the client set up similar to 2:35 point in video for it connects to the library on the Windows device.
Update: media center via tv now working.

Through wikis, tutorials, help videos and forum inquiries, after trying sources like "upnp" , "smb" , "ftp", "zeroconf", etc; creating secondary Microsoft accounts, trying umpteen Kodi alternatives, and so on, spanning weeks of trial and error, this has been an absurdly convoluted and user-unfriendly process. 🤦🤮🙃

In case anyone has these same hurdles down the line, this is what finally worked:

"How to setup NFS server on Windows for
KODI on XBOX ONE"
https://youtu.be/LAr8mdvDp2A

(...the irony being that I know nothing about gaming consoles...but regardless the instructions still worked for my Windows/Google-TV scenario. )
This will all be much simpler again in v20 as we've been able to implement a new method for browsing smb shares. Not that's any use to you for now.
Can you share the new method you mentioned here?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Configuring & Adding SMB/Samba Network shares0