Win Kodi 19 crashing entire display driver on display switch
Hello, I'm having some issues with Kodi matrix when I switch Kodi from one display to another while in full-screen. So basically my entire computer crashes, the image is frozen but I can tell that background processes are still running because of the hdd activity led and sometimes I can gracefully shut down the computer from the power on button. I checked the logs and I didn't find anything relevant, this happens on a fresh matrix install, does not happen with Leia. I will upload the log when I get home if you guys want to. Thanks for the help.
Try this - Hit the windowed mode with the slash key, do the display switch, full screen Kodi again; does the Kodi windowed display move correctly and into full screen? What resolution and gfx card are being used for the displays, do you have both up, or just one or the other? The debug log URL will likely be needed.
(2021-08-08, 02:16)PatK Wrote: Try this - Hit the windowed mode with the slash key, do the display switch, full screen Kodi again; does the Kodi windowed display move correctly and into full screen? What resolution and gfx card are being used for the displays, do you have both up, or just one or the other? The debug log URL will likely be needed.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Try this - Hit the windowed mode with the slash key, do the display switch, full screen Kodi again; does the Kodi windowed display move correctly and into full screen?
Yes, it does. The thing is I'm using some custom made ahk scripts that change the the primary display monitor and move kodi to the secondary monitor when certain events are triggered (ie. starting Steam Big picture mode triggers the primary monitor change to my TV, which is where kodi is usually at, and moves kodi to my pc monitor. Then, when Steam big picture is closed it does the reverse.) and never had an issue up until Matrix came around. However, this also happens simply by changing kodi from one monitor to the other without that whole script trigger mess I use with Steam, I just wanted to explain my normal usecase and why chaning kodi while it's fullscreened is important. Anyway, I just went back to the latest Leia stable and everything is working as expected.

What resolution and gfx card are being used for the displays, do you have both up, or just one or the other?
Running on a GTX980, both displays are constantly up at 1920x1080

Also, I just did a fresh install of Matrix, changed monitor and the display froze. Here is the log

Thanks again for the help.
Noting a GTX980, both displays are constantly up at 1920x1080 while I'm up with an Nvidia 1060 6gigs of gfx mem at 1080p, and I've run into issue with both screens up. I used to use a script to change display priority, kept only one up at a time, now I rely on an AVR that does the switching for me. The 'Try This' indicates if gfx memory is not pushed to limits and everything is on one screen; all is jake, but the move to full screen on both displays takes you to the limits of your gfx memory. My suggestion is to either re-write your script to accommodate only one display up as linked or do the windowing>switch>full screen technique manually keeping only one display. Matrix maybe a bit heavier in the gfx engine than previous versions to accommodate new features, your debug log is clear with no errors.
Matrix nightlies has some fixes merged related to crash at monitor switch:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/19783
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/19773

Maybe current builds from http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows/win64/Matrix/ already fixed this issue.
@jogal Thanks for that update, display switch on Matrix or Nexus works fine on my set-up.
(2021-08-08, 18:55)PatK Wrote: Noting a GTX980, both displays are constantly up at 1920x1080 while I'm up with an Nvidia 1060 6gigs of gfx mem at 1080p, and I've run into issue with both screens up. I used to use a script to change display priority, kept only one up at a time, now I rely on an AVR that does the switching for me. The 'Try This' indicates if gfx memory is not pushed to limits and everything is on one screen; all is jake, but the move to full screen on both displays takes you to the limits of your gfx memory. My suggestion is to either re-write your script to accommodate only one display up as linked or do the windowing>switch>full screen technique manually keeping only one display. Matrix maybe a bit heavier in the gfx engine than previous versions to accommodate new features, your debug log is clear with no errors.
Well, I did try lowering the resolution on both monitors and then it doesn't crash. It's still very weird that it completely crashes the display driver @1080p, I never had this happen with any other game or application and I usually switch monitors of what I would consider much heavier stuff (modern pc games) without any issues.
Anyway, I really appreciate your help, thank you.
(2021-08-09, 10:37)XReaper Wrote: completely crashes the display driver @1080p,
Given that this behaviour isn't what we're looking for, perhaps future iterations with iron this out. At one point in my travels discovering glitching with dual monitors up on an older grf card, I overclocked the gfx engine and the problem was solved, but I wouldn't say it ever outright crashed on me. @jogal is a bit closer to the code, and when he suggests the fix might be in, indicates there was recognition of a displayswitch/monitor switch issue; I would definitely see if these linked does something for your set-up.
(2021-08-08, 20:10)jogal Wrote: Matrix nightlies has some fixes merged related to crash at monitor switch:

19783 (PR)
19773 (PR)

Maybe current builds from http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows/win64/Matrix/ already fixed this issue.
(2021-08-09, 16:57)PatK Wrote: Given that this behaviour isn't what we're looking for, perhaps future iterations with iron this out. At one point in my travels discovering glitching with dual monitors up on an older grf card, I overclocked the gfx engine and the problem was solved, but I wouldn't say it ever outright crashed on me. @jogal is a bit closer to the code, and when he suggests the fix might be in, indicates there was recognition of a displayswitch/monitor switch issue; I would definitely see if these linked does something for your set-up.

Unfortunately I'm getting the same behaviour with the latest nightly release.
I have exactly the same issue. Just started happening out of nowhere. Updated to 19.5, same issue. Anyone have a fix please? Driving me nuts.
(2023-01-12, 13:43)jackhulk Wrote: I have exactly the same issue. . Just started happening out of nowhere
Must be some sort time bomb by the invisible man. A proper debug log posted to a public pastebin and that URL posted here might track his footsteps.
The invisible man's name is Bill Gates and he likes pushing new software to PCs secretly while you sleep.

Sorry what I mean is, there's really no such thing as "out of nowhere" on windows as long as you have automatic updates turned on.

You may have received a new driver, or a new "software patch" that changed the way things work.
(2023-01-12, 17:11)User 476552 Wrote: invisible man's name is Bill Gates
You'll have to provide proof, in the meantime keep buying into updates and bugfixes.

Debug logs handled all day long here.
I have exactly the same problem on Windows 11 with Kodi 20.3
It is really annoying.
(2024-02-10, 20:49)tprochazka Wrote: I have exactly the same problem on Windows 11 with Kodi 20.3
It is really annoying.

To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... Debug Log

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19 crashing entire display driver on display switch0