Updating from XBMX 12.2 to Kodi 19.2 using a server. Help
Hi all

I am busy upgrading all my things to support 4k and other things and decided to update from XBMC 12.2 to kodi matrix 19.2.  I have XBMC running on 3 front ends and using a Server that runs MySQL 5.5.

So the questions are.

1. Is MySQL V5.5 ok to still use or a newer version be better?
2. can I create a new library in MySQL for kodi that is separate from the XBMC MysQL library meaning running two databases until i migrate all my library?
3. is there anything to look out for when doing this or any tips or advice i might miss.

Thanks
(2021-10-12, 15:35)meridius Wrote: 1. Is MySQL V5.5 ok to still use or a newer version be better?

Should be fine, personally I'd recommend using 5.7 tho, but don't fix something if it works.

(2021-10-12, 15:35)meridius Wrote: 2. can I create a new library in MySQL for kodi that is separate from the XBMC MysQL library meaning running two databases until i migrate all my library?

Yes, tell your new Kodi to use different database names in advancedsettins.xml by using <name>  tag eg:
https://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_Kodi#Name_tag

Code:
    <videodatabase>
        <name>new_video</name>
    </videodatabase>
    <musicdatabase>
        <name>new_music</name>
    </musicdatabase>

(2021-10-12, 15:35)meridius Wrote: 3. is there anything to look out for when doing this or any tips or advice i might miss.

A direct upgrade from such an ancient version will most probably fail.
I'd rename (backup) your %APPDATA%\Kodi folder and start configuring everything from scratch.
thanks 

what i am thinking of doing is removing MySQL V5.5.32 totally from windows 7 then updating windows 7 to windows 10 as its still free as the server is only a server and nothing is running other than MySQL then install mysql-installer-community-5.7.17.0 would that be the best bet and then add all the shows and movies back manually which i don't mind doing.

i cannot remember my MySQL password since i have not entered it for years, lol

just thinking of scraping XBMC 12 altogether as and updating server to windows 10. is it still easy to share folders on windows 10 as i think if i remember you had to set up a home group which windows 10 does not use anymore? 

why use version 5.7 and not V 5.5 or 8.0 or MySQL just out of interest. and do you need to do the step Windows 7/8/8.1 Built-in Firewall for windows 10 from  here

https://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_...ab=Windows

thanks
(2021-10-12, 16:16)meridius Wrote: why use version 5.7 and not V 5.5 or 8.0 or MySQL just out of interest. and do you need to do the step Windows 7/8/8.1 Built-in Firewall for windows 10 from  here

8.0 has a few quirks, I use it on a linux server and I needed to make a few config tweaks to make it work properly.
5.5 is quite old
5.7 is is the latest 5.x series version, I'd stick with that.

I'm mostly a linux guy but the first thing I do after making a fresh install of windows on my gaming pc is to nuke firewall and defender crap out of orbit (totally NOT recommended for an average user), so I can't advice here.
thanks, is there any version of 5.7 because there is a few versions of 5.7 like 5.7.17 and more

can i just upgrade my windows 7 to windows 10 without any problems as there is nothing on the server apart from MySQL as the server never gets used for anything other than running the drives and MySQL and whatever Microsoft updated over the years.

thanks
(2021-10-12, 16:35)meridius Wrote: thanks, is there any version of 5.7 because there is a few versions of 5.7 like 5.7.17 and more

Use the latest 5.7.x version.

(2021-10-12, 16:35)meridius Wrote: can i just upgrade my windows 7 to windows 10 without any problems

Good luck with that.
In my 20+ years of experience with different versions of windows since 3.11 upgrades are to be avoided at all costs.
I always do clean installs.
YMMV
Thanks, my latest version of MySQL is 5.7.35 which i got from there website and will use that.  Also windows I might just backup windows 7 and then try to install windows 10 and see how i get on then if all works well i can just register it with my windows 7 key.

thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updating from XBMX 12.2 to Kodi 19.2 using a server. Help0