[Kodi 18.9] Resolution Change
I think I am right in assuming kodi can change resolution as well as refresh rate.

my equiptment, HTPC ( Kodi 18.9, win 10, intel 8100 ) motherboard hdmi out to Denon AVR x1600h, to Sony XR55A80J TV

Currently the majority of my video files are 720 and 1080p. So what I want to do is set kodi to 1080p and let the TV do the upscaling to its native 2160p

i have set windows and kodi resolution 1080p, nothing in the whitelist, refresh rate on start/stop

System info in kodi reads 1080p, The TV reports the input as 2160p. It seems as if kodi is not actually changing the resolution but reports it to itself.....wierd
But this configuration causes issues in some video files plays for a while, then the screen goes black, it seems to change resolution ( tv reports 1080p) but it keeps doing this every 10 mins or so. Something is not right.
Only way to sort it is if I set 2160p as kodi resolution and everything so far seems to work.

Any ideas other than let kodi do the upscaling.
Setting the interface at 1080p and letting the TV upscale shouldn't be an issue, when the player is engaged you should get whatever the resolution of the media is. Some TV's don't like this res switch, and you may have to set 2160p for the interface (although most skins are set for 1080p).
(2021-12-26, 22:44)Bagger Wrote: video files plays for a while, then the screen goes black
Something is causing the handshake to drop, might have something to do with dropped frames or gfx engine issues. Perhaps a debug log might show something.
(2021-12-27, 02:31)PatK Wrote: Some TV's don't like this res switch, and you may have to set 2160p for the interface (although most skins are set for 1080p).

Thanks for the reply

You say set 2160p for the interface, is this the same as in System>display and any 1080p media should play at 1080p. As this is deffintly not the case. The refresh rate seems to be switching fine as media plays smooth, the resolution (as reported by the tv) will always be 2160p
Also you mention skins, I'm using Xonfluence would this stop the interface from changing to 1080p
(2021-12-27, 18:24)Bagger Wrote: set 2160p for the interface
I'm not too coherent to-day, not getting the gist of it all. Set your windows desktop to '2160p' then using windows switch over to the TV in exclusive mode (in effect the TV becomes your display) launch Kodi 'full screen' play a sequence of various res videos. It's important to understand the 'player' in Kodi is independent from the interface, should your TV not like the resolution for the interface, chose what it likes, let's make everyone happy.
(2021-12-27, 19:51)PatK Wrote:
(2021-12-27, 18:24)Bagger Wrote: set 2160p for the interface
I'm not too coherent to-day, not getting the gist of it all. Set your windows desktop to '2160p' then using windows switch over to the TV in exclusive mode (in effect the TV becomes your display) launch Kodi 'full screen' play a sequence of various res videos. It's important to understand the 'player' in Kodi is independent from the interface, should your TV not like the resolution for the interface, chose what it likes, let's make everyone happy.
Ha ha I know the feeling Smile slightly over did it yesterday too.
The TV already is the dedicated Monitor, even though I think this is how I originally started, but never the less gave it a try. unfortunatly to no avail.

After some messing about I "think" the problem may lie with win 10 "active signal resolution" as when you change resolution windows 10 only seems to change the desktop size but still outputs native resolution, which is what seems to be happening in kodi. ie permant 2160P output.
Changing this active sigal resolution is not done in the usual way and doesnt always seem to set what you want.

Merry Christamas

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Kodi 18.9] Resolution Change0