Solved External Player - Closing PowerDVD from a remote control
Hi, I use PowerDVD 17 to play my content ripped from bluray discs. KODI successfully launches PowerDVD when it is supposed to, and PowerDVD does a good job of playing the content. My programmable remote does a great job of tying this all together. However I am not able to close PowerDVD from my remote. I know that PowerDVD does not really have this capability, but in the olden days (up until about 6 months ago) when I was running KODI 18.6 on a Windows 7 HTPC there was some way of "killing" whatever application was running and in focus, and I had this programmed into my remote. However this does not work when I now run Kodi 19.3 on a Windows 10 HTPC.

So I think the problem might be:

1. The possibility does not exist in Windows 10
2. The possibility does not exist in Kodi Matrix
3. I lost the set-up I had in Keymap editor (I think), which allowed me to send a command to close PowerDVD in the transition from one HTPC to another, one OS to another or Leia to Matrix.

I think it is probably the last alternative. I have reinstalled the add-on, and I am trying to reprogram it in such a way that pressing the 'record' button on my remote will emulate pressing the PC keyboard 'alt + F4' (which is the only way I know of shutting down PowerDVD without using a mouse to click the X in the top right hand corner). However, pressing alt + F4 of course closes KODI while I am trying to cretae my new keymap set-up  Confused

Has anyone been able to make a good solution for shutting down PowerDVD from a remote control. I don't want to have to use a keyboard or a mouse to get back to KODI from blueray disc play.
I use Alt+F4 programed to the EXIT button on my Harmony 900 to close PDVD and other external players when needed.  Kodi is then revealed, in focus, and ready to navigate.  When an external player is launched, the player opens on top of Kodi.  When the player is closed (by any means) Kodi is the remaining window ready for action.  As a matter of fact, when I launch an external player on top of Kodi, minimize the live video, minimize Kodi, resume the live video in fullscreen, and finally Alt+F4 that external player live video, Windows maximizes Kodi in fullscreen in focus ready for action.  This may be a W11 feature only. 

I suggest you have a look at your playercorefactory.xml.  I see lots of them posted with code that messes with Kodi focus and does more harm than good.  Also, I don't use any sort of add-on and not sure why you do but that might be your problem too.  Lastly, I use the setting in Kodi for fullscreen enabled and checked.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2022-02-16, 17:27)brazen1 Wrote: I use Alt+F4 programed to the EXIT button on my Harmony 900 to close PDVD and other external players when needed.  Kodi is then revealed, in focus, and ready to navigate.  When an external player is launched, the player opens on top of Kodi.  When the player is closed (by any means) Kodi is the remaining window ready for action.  As a matter of fact, when I launch an external player on top of Kodi, minimize the live video, minimize Kodi, resume the live video in fullscreen, and finally Alt+F4 that external player live video, Windows maximizes Kodi in fullscreen in focus ready for action.  This may be a W11 feature only. 

I suggest you have a look at your playercorefactory.xml.  I see lots of them posted with code that messes with Kodi focus and does more harm than good.  Also, I don't use any sort of add-on and not sure why you do but that might be your problem too.  Lastly, I use the setting in Kodi for fullscreen enabled and checked.

Brazen1,

the way your set-up works is how mine worked, until recently. The issue is that I have no way (that I know as per now) to send a Alt + F4 PC MCE keyboard command to the HTPC, except for from a keyboard. My otherwise very useful URC MX-990 remote can only learn single key IR commands, and Alt + F4 are two separate key presses with individual IR codes. So I need some way to emulate this. Previously I used the KODI add-on Keymap Editor to map Alt + F4 to my remote control's 'record' button, but this functionality was lost in translation in one or more of the transitions I described above. And when I try to repeat the Alt + F4 in Keymap Editor today the editor (and Kodi) are closed. So I am looking for a smart workaround. i last did this 5 years ago, and cannot remember how it was done.

I realise some people will say this is an remote control or external player issue, and I see their point. However, until a few months ago the problem was addressed and fixed by a KODI add-on, and I am hoping to do so again :-)
Solved. The Add-On MCERemote had the possibility to reassign button in text form, rather than by pressing keys. So now I have my 'record' button set up to press Alt+F4, and that closes PowerDVD like it used to.
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External Player - Closing PowerDVD from a remote control0