Kodi 20.0 streaming issue on playback - audio works, but no video
Hello,

The issue I am having during playback while steaming is that the audio is heard (good quality), but there is no video.  The video controls are present in the window, but no image/video.  I don't think the movie (e.g. MP4) is the issue as the movie plays back within the Kodi GUI on the server directly with no issues (audio + video).  I can stream music from a client to the server, no issues there.  I’ve tried a number of browsers (Firefox, Safari, Google) from my client (MacOS v10.15.7), no change.  I’ve also tried to stream a movie directly on the laptop/server via the web-browser interface (I’m using Firefox on Ubuntu) and it’s the same issue, doesn’t work (audio, but no video).

I read on other forms to switch the “Render method” from “Auto Detect” to “Software”, but in my version of Kodi, there is only “Auto Detect”..?

I have installed Kodi v20.0.  I have not added any, “Add-ons”, as I am only interested in streaming my media (movies, music, etc.) within my home network.

I have a DELL laptop (32GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 3000 card) running Ubuntu v20.04, it's a beast.  The network is Wifi and I’m not very far from the router/access-point; i.e. good signal.

Many thanks
-Jack
Probably going to to have to see the issue replicated in a Debug Log to figure out what is going on. Follow the link for instructions.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Ok, I have cleared my kodi.log, enabled DEBUG and duplicate the issue, etc.

Here's the debug link:
https://paste.kodi.tv/fakimaviso.kodi

Much appreicated,
Jack
i picked up on some key details here.
kodi plays fine when playing locally - so the debug log is rather useless as it's the client browser failing
intel hd graphics 3000 was discontinued 10 years ago - but this is in the machine that's playing fine directly from kodi? https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...-3000.html
mac os 10 is 3 versions behind (and 3ish years?) - this is where streaming playback via browser is failing?

from the log
2023-01-19 15:52:23.581 T:3229    debug <general>: libva info: VA-API version 1.7.0
2023-01-19 15:52:23.582 T:3229    debug <general>: libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
2023-01-19 15:52:23.582 T:3229    debug <general>: libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_7
2023-01-19 15:52:23.582 T:3229    error <general>: libva error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so init failed
2023-01-19 15:52:23.582 T:3229    debug <general>: libva info: va_openDriver() returns 1
2023-01-19 15:52:23.582 T:3229    debug <general>: libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
2023-01-19 15:52:23.582 T:3229    debug <general>: libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_6
2023-01-19 15:52:23.582 T:3229    debug <general>: libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0

one driver fails but another is picked up - i guess this is fine as long as it has one, maybe, but this is on the machine that isn't failing to play direct on kodi?

2023-01-19 15:53:32.612 T:3272    debug <general>: CUtil::GetMatchingSource: no matching source found for [/home/jrthiel/Desktop/media-center/Jack/video/Ace_Ventura_Pet_Detective.mp4]

not an error but seems suspect that it cant find it, usually would look like a protocol i think smb:// local:// plugin:// videodb:// or something

so question is, which is in fact failing, the machine that kodi is on that we see a log for or a machine connecting via browser to kodi which we dont see a log for?
I appreciate your analysis here.

Just to confirm, movie successfully plays on Kodi server (Ubuntu laptop) using Kodi GUI, but fails to play via web browser (MacOS 10.15.7 client).

Please note, I receive something similar when I use my iPad (Gen6, v16.2 iOS) via the Kodi web browser interface.  The only difference is that there is a “loading” wheels which just spins, so no audio or video.

I checked the file permissions and ensured (e.g. CHMOD 755 *.mp4) each movie file was read and executable.  I have tired three or four different movies with the same issue.

Regarding your comment about smb://, I see that in the Kodi server, but I haven’t made any changes there.

If the movie can be successfully played on the Ubuntu server (i.e. Kodi server), then this points to a streaming issue, or?  Is there an additional add-in or step I need to perform here?

Many thanks.
yes thats precisely what i was trying to get down to, i suspect its down to the macos and hardware decoding because when looking around i found the following

https://github.com/StaZhu/enable-chromiu...e-decoding which does not meet your parameters however still posed the question to me whether or not macos 10 is capable of hardware decoding

since the project notes "macOS Big Sur (11.0) and above" as a requirement it suggests to me that there may be something to this

so searching further i found instructions on hardware encoding https://jamcity.helpshift.com/hc/en/6-ge...y-browser/

that article is in fact rather old but still post-dates the release date of macos 10

now, being that im not on a mac and not using macos my only last suggestion would be this

install kodi directly on the mac and attempt to play the same file for testing purposes, i know this is not how you want your setup but it would reveal something if it does or does not play

if it does not play thats good sort of because then we can get a debug log of the failure

but. if it does play its down to the browser on the system itself which invokes the links and questions posted above
Ok, I'll try that out to see - i.e. download Kodi for MacOS.

Please note, as I stated above, I also tired to access a movie from my Apple iPad and had the same issue with the video playback.  My iPad is 6 generation runing 16.2 iOS (latest), so I'm not overly opportmistic that this is the fix, but I'll give it a try. 

I have access to my wife's iMac PRO, so I'll setup Kodi on there as she's running MacOS 12.6 (Monterey).

Many thanks!
(2023-01-20, 18:48)speedracer68 Wrote: .... Please note, as I stated above, I also tired to access a movie from my Apple iPad and had the same issue with the video playback. ....
i did note that which adds to my suspicion that the webkit browser isnt handling it, i chose to focus towards something that can get some results which in this case would be a debug log that shows an actionable failure
or at minimum elimination of variables so the core problem can be sussed out
Thanks for helping me out as well. If I face any problem, I will message here.
Before I get too specific and post logs etc, does anybody have any thoughts on why a live TV stream would intermittently not have video. 

One of the streams in my Kodi TV playlist sometimes will only play audio with no video.  All other streaming TV channels in my playlist play fine.  This stream will play fine in VLC but sometimes will play only audio (with the onscreen video controls) but no video in Kodi.

The stream is from an OTA station's website so I don't think it contravenes any rules.  I can post or PM the url. 

Kodi 20.02/Win 7

Thanks
Further to the above post

Just wondering if someone can check this stream url out.  It will play both audio and video in VLC and Potplayer but will only play either audio or video only in Kodi.

I got a reply from another user (if this will help) but it's above my pay grade

They use a split format where they separate the audio and video to independent streams.  I don't know how you are playing it via Kodi, but most likely a version issue with ffmpeg support.

My question is, is there something I can do to get this to play in Kodi.  Thanks

Kodi 20.02/Win 7
others have already determined that stream link is not viable

in emby

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/...ideo-track

and in ffmpeg

https://github.com/iptv-org/iptv/issues/...1372251881

so very limited expectation that it will work in kodi which uses ffmpeg
^Thanks for responding

And as I have zero knowledge on the subject I won't question any further except to ask what if anything would have to happen for it to work in Kodi?

I noticed a couple of comments (from over a year ago) at one of the links that said it doesn't work with VLC (it does)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 20.0 streaming issue on playback - audio works, but no video0