Shadertoy display shutdown on Raspberry Pi and LibreELEC
Shadertoy (currently 19.0.1.1 by afedchin) is the only solution I've found for getting a non-CEC display (in my case, a fullHD BenQ originally used with a PC) to power off when idle on a Raspberry Pi 3 running under LibreELEC 10.0.4. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any proper settings for this feature of Shadertoy, so display shutoff just comes on after about 5 minutes, and I can't configure this anywhere. This unfortunately also happens eg. when Kodi is playing music. Have I missed something here?
(2023-07-06, 12:28)ExTechOp Wrote: Shadertoy (currently 19.0.1.1 by afedchin) is the only solution I've found for getting a non-CEC display (in my case, a fullHD BenQ originally used with a PC) to power off when idle on a Raspberry Pi 3 running under LibreELEC 10.0.4.
Nobody seems to know about this issue... does anyone happen to know where afedchin would be reachable?
Due to a complete lack of really useful information, you will certainly not get any further help here.
Kodi 18.6 @ openSUSE 13.1 x86_64 - Asus E35M1-I DELUXE | 8GB Ram | 240G 2.5" SSD
Kodi 20.2 on 1st Raspberry Pi B @ XBian | Kodi 20.2 on Raspberry Pi 3B+ @ XBian | Kodi 21a2 on Raspberry Pi4B @ XBian | Kodi 19.0 on SolidRun i.MX6 @ XBian
VDR 2.4.5 & Tvheadend4.3-1917 (for recording) on Cubieboard2 @ Debian Buster
(2023-07-15, 21:40)Nachteule Wrote: Due to a complete lack of really useful information, you will certainly not get any further help here.
I'd love to provide some "useful information", if I knew what was relevant? As far as I understand, data dumps or debug logs wouldn't be very helpful here, since everything seems to be working as planned, and shadertoy is something of a binary blob.
(2023-07-18, 12:14)ExTechOp Wrote: I'd love to provide some "useful information", if I knew what was relevant? As far as I understand, data dumps or debug logs wouldn't be very helpful here, since everything seems to be working as planned, and shadertoy is something of a binary blob.

Like all of kodi, it's open source. See: https://github.com/xbmc/screensaver.shadertoy

But you've really provided very little information.

You should be able to configure the screensaver to start after a configurable "Wait time".
And you can configure shadertoy to use one of dozens of shaders, or to use a random one.

How have you got this configured?

Are you saying the screen powers off after the configured "Wait time"?
Or are you saying the shadertoy screensaver runs for 5 minutes and then powers off display?
(2023-07-18, 16:30)popcornmix Wrote: You should be able to configure the screensaver to start after a configurable "Wait time".
And you can configure shadertoy to use one of dozens of shaders, or to use a random one.

How have you got this configured?

Are you saying the screen powers off after the configured "Wait time"?
Or are you saying the shadertoy screensaver runs for 5 minutes and then powers off display?

Indeed, I have configured the shadertoy screensaver to start after a couple of minutes of idle time, and I've set shadertoy to use a random shader. This is the extent of configurable items on the screen saver. And, I do mean the shadertoy screensaver runs a single shader for a few minutes and then powers the screen off — I assume it directly tweaks the GPU portion of the Raspberry Pi SoC. The screen powers back on normally when the system requests it, so this apparently is the intended functionality.

This also happens when eg. playing music (and as I use HDMI audio because the RasPi analog output is quite noisy, it also shuts off sound), and it does not seem to be configurable in any way.
(2023-07-20, 07:40)ExTechOp Wrote: Indeed, I have configured the shadertoy screensaver to start after a couple of minutes of idle time, and I've set shadertoy to use a random shader. This is the extent of configurable items on the screen saver. And, I do mean the shadertoy screensaver runs a single shader for a few minutes and then powers the screen off — I assume it directly tweaks the GPU portion of the Raspberry Pi SoC. The screen powers back on normally when the system requests it, so this apparently is the intended functionality.
There is no Pi specific code in shadertoy (the same addon is used on all platforms).
And I'm pretty sure there is no code in the addon designed to power off the display.

I use shadertoy on a Pi4 myself, and the screensaver comes on after a few minutes and it continues running until interrupted (often hours).

Post a debug enabled log file (using a paste site).
Enable debug, reboot. Wait for screensaver to kick in. Wait for screen to power off. Then capture the log.
(2023-07-20, 12:27)popcornmix Wrote: There is no Pi specific code in shadertoy (the same addon is used on all platforms).
And I'm pretty sure there is no code in the addon designed to power off the display.

I use shadertoy on a Pi4 myself, and the screensaver comes on after a few minutes and it continues running until interrupted (often hours).

It took me this long to figure out what is going on, and you of course are quite correct.
LibreELEC has its own screen saver setting (independent of the Kodi add-on screen savers) which directly tweaks the RasPi hardware to turn off the display.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shadertoy display shutdown on Raspberry Pi and LibreELEC0