Win 1st time HPTC need help
my escient fireball is about to die so trying to come up with something new.

1st - how i use my system. I only listen to my ripped music and movies (do not need internet streaming).
my escient sends video menus and album art to my tv. Then i can use optical or coaxial out to my receiver for sound.
So right now i stream my ripped music from my escient fireball to tv and receiver and and my WDtv live to stream my ripped movies to tv and receiver.

2nd - lost on choosing motherboards you have ITX and ATX. Which is recommended? What is the best audio chip i should be looking for?
         I don't need a high end system for game's or everyday computer work. System to play music and video only.

3rd - cases i've found 3 i like
        https://www.newegg.com/black-silverstone...ce-options
        https://www.newegg.com/black-silverstone...6811163219
        https://www.newegg.com/p/2AM-005H-00009?...B944NA4303
        I like the thin ones but no way to add a video or sound card, is this correctHuh

4th - now it gets confusing - A -  want a remote control kit to run Kodi and win, looks like it is possible but i,m lost on what to get for the motherboard.
                                            B - add optical or coaxial out connections, any ideas? "JUST IN" - found this ASUS XONAR SE 5.1 Channel card at a decent price for music only, should work

one last question for now - i have around 800 movie's on my WDtv LIVE, will Kodi read the .xml move sheet files?

thanks for any help - rider
(2023-07-21, 04:47)rider666 Wrote: i have around 800 movie's on my WDtv LIVE, will Kodi read the .xml move sheet files?
No.
Kodi uses nfo files... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Movies

If you are moving away from WDtv to Kodi (and I strongly recommend you do), then you would be better off rescraping your 800 movies. This will be much quicker than trying to set up some xml to nfo conversion script, and there is nothing to say the xml data holds what Kodi needs.

But if you want, post then contents of the xml file into Kodi Paste Site and provide the link. We can check it.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2023-07-21, 05:07)Karellen Wrote:
(2023-07-21, 04:47)rider666 Wrote: i have around 800 movie's on my WDtv LIVE, will Kodi read the .xml move sheet files?
No.
Kodi uses nfo files... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Movies

But if you want, post then contents of the xml file into Kodi Paste Site and provide the link. We can check it.

thank karellen
 i'll hold off on the movies for now. more interested in getting my music playing again anyways. will test some movies later see what it take to convert that many movies.
@rider666 You can certainly use a HTPC for both video and music and it will do what you want - I won't give advice there as I've not used an x86/NVIDIA/Windows HTPC since 2014 or 2016 (for music I used to use iTunes to send ALAC files over AirPlay to an Apple AirPort Express plugged into my receiver's Aux. input - served from the same PC but that wasn't controlled by the HTPC software).

What I can advise, however, is perhaps not going to the expense and complexity of a PC and just use one of the myriad ARM-based SoCs that run Android or linux along with Kodi. If you use one of the faster SoCs, then churning through a large library will be peppier (that's one thing I miss about HTPCs - they never slogged down on large library navigation or "heavier" skins.) Myself, I've been very happy with the NVIDIA Shield TV Pro.

As for music - well I use a jury-rigged set up; consisting of a decomissioned LG V20 cellphone (it has an excellent DAC) connected by OTG-USB to a powered USB hub and an old 256 GB ext. HDD that holds almost 500 FLAC-encoded CDs. The LG V20 has a 3.5 mm audio jack that I connect to my receiver's Aux. in. It's remotely controlled by another Android device (an old $6.00 TracPhone) using the "Phone to Tablet Remote" app https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...k33.remote on both cellphones. It works beautifully but it ain't pretty - and like before, not controlled by Kodi.

Not the unified solution I know, but I just wanted to illustrate that there are multiple ways to achieve your goals. Just my two cents.
Thanks selfcontained

The reason i am going this way building my own HTPC is i finely upgraded my pc after 8 years. So i have everything need but the cases, and i found one (with IR blaster) that fits in with my existing stereo equipment and looks great.

thank rider
The thing about a global forum, you don't know where people are...

So, here is a wild shot:  If you are anywhere near Denver, I could give you a home theater case.   Good for a beginner, looks good on a shelf, but I have downsized so it is available.

v.

Oh, and by the way, some answers to your questions:

* The motherboard you buy will affect the case you need to put it in.  Don't look at size, but look at features to make your decision.  But as with all computers, more air flow is better.

* KODI does "passthrough", so if you are really getting into this, in addition to your HTPC you really want a good amp that is geared toward Audio/Video.  I have a few Onkyo Amps where the biggest screens are.  You need that to handle all the various audio codecs that you will run across.  (and no, Onkyo is not the "best" for Kodi...  it is just what I personally liked.  The whole "best amp" thing is continuously fought in other forums.)

* Keep it simple:  Your connections will be HDMI.  you don't need optical or coax unless you want to hook up some really old gear (like my first Gen Xbox, which used to run XBMP / XBMC, back in the day)

* "What remote?":  As with all things, it depends on your needs.  For sure you will need a wireless keyboard so that you can make some changes from time to time.  Then you can unplug it when it's not being used.  Plenty available in all costs and sizes.  However, I'm still a fan of the discontinued Harmony One (direct line of sight control) and Harmony 900 (for hidden equipment).  If you want to go old school and you are a gamer, you can use a game controller as well as Kodi supports that due to its developmental history.  The last one may work for you, but chances are it will confuse others, so maybe not the best choice.

* Reading your old files...  yeah, delete all those old .xml's ...  Kodi will rescan your data on first pass and redo artwork and metadata for your ripped movies, TV shows and Music.  You may have to make a few adjustments (ex:  I prefer original movie artwork posters for films, some folks don't care.), but again KODI allows for that.

* If you want to go big, go server/client.  A home server can store all your media and centralize your Kodi DB's...  then all your remote devices connect to that.  That way you can have an always on box (that sleeps until required).

* Not every screen needs a powerful PC/Amp combo.  A really small mini pc (in the $150 range or less) can be a great end client.  And if you are into the Amazon Alexa thing, many of those devices can connect to your TV and put out better sound than an internal 6watt speaker.  Great for a kid's room or workout room. 

Just saying, this can really become a hobby.  My home server is 50TB (and with that you gotta have a 50TB backup solution, right?).  And then really good Wi-Fi.  And you will likely become more familiar with IP addressing as well.  It happens.

My screens cover anything from a 4K 65" OLED (with Magnepan speakers helping to create a soundstage) down to an old Microsoft Surface 3 for bedside (which ran about $60 used and really does a great job for being a KODI end point, but not much else.)

And, as with all hobbies, there will ALWAYS be the next better thing, and the person who has the more awesome system.  It's not a race... so find out what works for you and go with it.
Ha that's been my experience too @zebraitis - it's a slippery slope but, as you say, it's not a race. Myself, I've moved away from the HTPC setup I used for many years to an ARM-based/Android/Kodi endpoint, but even after meeting my needs/wants, it's easy to think about the next upgrade down the road. I frame those sorts of decisions by looking at desired features of a box for no longer than 3-4 years of "future-proofing" and roughly 5-6 years of "future-proofing" for a display. I've mostly stuck to this and I find I'm not over-spending.
Yeah...  tried the Android endpoint thing (and heard about folks with Pi), but Android is just another OS to learn...  and I found that the inexpensive Android boxes that run today are a throw away in about three years.  Cheap boxes usually mean near immediate end-of-life.

I'm approaching the border of another one of those "best", debates, but since I go back to DOS and BASIC, Windows version (fill-in-the-blank) works for me.  (and no, please don't "OK Boomer" me.  I ain't that, I just started really really early.)

Funny thing...  My home server still has the same name and IP address as it did 20+ years ago.  But that is about it. Case, power supplies, motherboard, processors,  drives, OS Versions... all have changed over time.  And still, it's the "same" server, running the "same" stuff.

Much like the proverbial "George Washington's axe", I suppose.
You bet - I'm in that camp too (Waterloo BASIC on a VAX 11/780 w/VMS in undergrad, then DOS, etc. with a stopover on a IBM mainframe in grad school.)

The nice thing about Android/Kodi is it is largely set-and-forget. I have the Shield and besides the initial setup and Kodi config I haven't had to do anything other than just use it.

While I really liked my x86/NVIDIA/Win HTPCs in the past (WMC, Meedio, MediaPortal, XBMC), they required a lot more twiddling.
(2023-08-10, 20:26)selfcontained Wrote: The nice thing about Android/Kodi is it is largely set-and-forget. I have the Shield and besides the initial setup and Kodi config I haven't had to do anything other than just use it.

The same is largely true of LibreElec and CoreElec on both x86 and ARM hardware if you get the right hardware in the first place.
I've never used Libre/CoreELEC or OSMC but I've read that people's experience with them has been excellent (at least on ARM-based machines; I've read less about x86/nvidia/*nix Kodi HTPC so - dunno.) Early on when I just began using XBMC on a PC (a "nettop" - the Acer Revo) I had some problems getting auto framerate switching to work along with some other little problems that later prompted me to get the MINIX NEO X6 with its own Android and MINIX XBMC with auto frame rate switching. It worked so well I've used Android ever since.
(2023-08-12, 21:52)selfcontained Wrote: I've never used Libre/CoreELEC or OSMC but I've read that people's experience with them has been excellent (at least on ARM-based machines; I've read less about x86/nvidia/*nix Kodi HTPC so - dunno.) Early on when I just began using XBMC on a PC (a "nettop" - the Acer Revo) I had some problems getting auto framerate switching to work along with some other little problems that later prompted me to get the MINIX NEO X6 with its own Android and MINIX XBMC with auto frame rate switching. It worked so well I've used Android ever since.

CoreElec and LibreElec are both fine with frame rate switching (and resolution switching if you go down the Whitelisting route) on ARM platforms, and LE also works fine on x86 (CE is ARM-optimised only). They do passthrough of lossy and lossless (aka HD) audio if the hardware supports it, and if the hardware supports HDR they will do SDR/HDR format switching too.  (CE now has Dolby Vision support on a small number of platforms that also support DV on Android TV - you boot into CE's Linux, but it accesses the DV code on the Android partition)
I've been following the ARM/linux/Kodi info for a few years actually and have noted that, especially in the case of LibreELEC, those distros seem to achieve milestones before other platforms (with the exception of HDR.) I have to confess the only reason I've not tried it myself is an unfamiliarity with linux. It's been a long time since I left the relative comfort zone of Windows and Android.
Well no problem yet with windows tiny10. I'll keep you posted here if i run across anything.

Most of my time was spent finding a skin that would allow me to config it the way i  setup my music and movie content.
I'd highly recommend the Amber skin for anyone that wants to disable almost everything if you want a clean simple interface.

I tried 8 different skin, 1 would not even install 3 others would not work correctly and 1 crashed kodi. The others just would not let you customize enough.

Now just waiting for the IR blaster to show up

rider
As to skins - I've found that initially configuring Kodi is easier with more skin settings available if I use Estuary first and *then* switch to Amber (which I also use.) This was the only way I could create a looping playlist that I saved as a favorite that I have on my main menu. There were a couple other things I couldn't do in other skins first until I first set them up using Estuary. I'm willing to admit it may just be ignorance on my part so take what I've said with a grain of salt....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1st time HPTC need help0