Kodi on RPi - a Very frustrating experience...... so far
Hello,

I am very new to the KODI world and honestly, i may jump ship as I find it very frustrating to make progress.
What am i trying to do with KODI? just to get a reasonably reliable Media server up and running based on RPi for Home use, nothing fancy for example look at uTube videos and some of our own videos and pictures, then progress from there to look at Free to Air TV channels ie BBC News (im Uk Based) for example.

I am reasonably comfortable in getting around on the RPi with the standard OS, so I have tried KODI using implementations based on OSMC, Librelec and I have also tried to install Kodi directly onto the latest version of RPi OS using the sudo apt install kodi method, here would be a summary of my issues and I seem to be stuck at the very basics, my observations/issues are:-

It's all very good having the latest version of KODI available to load onto the RPi, but the biggest stumbling block i have come across is linked to incompatible versions of Python used in Add-ons etc, I've spent hours finding addons then trying to install them and they fail with a Python-related incompatible error message.

For example, I successfully installed the Utube add-on and then got "Submerged" in the whole issue of getting API etc and signing but the biggest issue I realised at this point was that the Simple function of Cutting and Pasting API data into the Addon appears to be impossible....how can this be done, please? I've searched the web and failed to find any solution.

I know this is not your issue but there seem to be a plethora of pages around that claim to have solutions on HOW TO Huh? in Kodi and when you follow the instructions, at some point, I've come to a point where it is obvious that they are referring to older (much older) version of KODI , is there some KODI location that people like me can go to that hold information relative to particular version of the product release.

Thank you for your patience in reviewing this post.

JohnW
you are off to a bad start with kodi

using kodi for addons can be painful for even veteran users

kodi's primary function is it's video library - https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_library

secondary would be it's music library - https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_library

all addons fall to their individual developer and a lot seem to have been abandoned

if you are looking to install addons outside of the kodi repo then most can be found here - https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27

and the video addon sub section - https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154

if you are following guides from other websites found by googling then you should go a step further and search again for the specific addon and locate it's github page

this will give you an idea of the last time it has been updated and a lot times includes instructions from the developer themselves

beware of sketchy addons, if you cant locate a github page for them then there is a good chance it shouldnt be installed, as well be aware of the example list of Banned Add-ons (wiki)

regarding the experience you noted with the youtube addon, this is the same experience i had with it over 8 months ago and i simply dont use it

regarding the experience overall with addons, you cannot judge kodi for these it is as useful as saying android is bad because you found bad apps

you also cannot judge all addons because of 1 bad one, there are many developers providing addons

if you have a need for help just create a new post in one of the addon sections listed above but be ready to be redirected to the developer

for issues specific to the youtube addon it would be best to go file an issue on their github, the developer has not been coming here - https://github.com/anxdpanic/plugin.vide...ube/issues
I created a full response, but I cannot seem to see it on the forum....

Have I messed up againHuh??
(2023-08-21, 00:50)ejwjohn Wrote: I created a full response, but I cannot seem to see it on the forum....
I don't see a full response in your profile.
Maybe you hit "Preview Post" instead of "Post Reply". I've lost count of how many times I have done that.

As jepsizofye states, the Official Kodi addon repository filters addons so they are compatible with the Kodi version you are trying to install on.
We can't be held responsible for what 3rd party developers are doing and not doing.
There are no quick fixes to Python and Api related issues.
Kodi v18 and earlier uses Python v2.7. Kodi v19 and later uses Python v3.x.
API problems are almost always due to the provider site updating their security.
Sounds like you are trying to use older and unsupported addons in a newer Kodi version.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hello,

Ok, I am going to try and re-create my original response to your initial response as that has obviously gone into the ether.

Firstly, thank You for your totally enlightening and structured response it helped me focus my mind on the issues I believe i have

I was initially tempted to use the forum "quote" facility and respond to your individual points, but on reflection, there was so much in your response that " was NOT said " and it was up to me to work out, and that is fine.

So I am going to work through your response in detail and hopefully come back to you with positive learnings.

At this time though I would like to say that your comment about "One Add-On "reflects on all others I fully understand, but I have been around in this technology sector for about 40 years so I understand that logic dictates that you treat one solution totally separate from others.

I will be working my way through your response over the next few days and putting the suggestions into practice and hopefully will get back to you with positive news.

Once again, your response has enlightened me and i am hopeful that i get passed this initial negative hurdle.

Thank You

JohnW
youre welcome

seems like i said just enough without having to say the things that were "NOT said"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on RPi - a Very frustrating experience...... so far0