Would it be possible to soften video during downscale to reduce stairsteps and moire?
This is probably an extreme edge case, but when scaling down 4K content to 720p or so, sharper material gets stair stepping artifacts and moiré quite easily.

I noticed this over a decade ago testing the Sintel 4K encodes on Kodi on my 1360x768 bedroom TV that refuses to die even at 13 years old.  But you see on this episode of Lazy Game Reviews (Yes, I do have most of LGR on local storage and scrapped with TVDB Data.  No, I will not be answering's any follow up questions about that. Tongue ) and you see on the sharp lines when played through Kodi at 1360x768 and you see the artifacts clearly.

So I'm wondering if it'd be possible to add some kind of softening filter for such extreme downscale cases?  ...Also I'm wondering if such an idea could be pretty computationally heavy and not worth it for an uncommon edge case even if technically possible.

(2023-09-23, 22:37)DJ_Izumi Wrote: This is probably an extreme edge case, but when scaling down 4K content to 720p or so, sharper material gets stair stepping artifacts and moiré quite easily.

I noticed this over a decade ago testing the Sintel 4K encodes on Kodi on my 1360x768 bedroom TV that refuses to die even at 13 years old.  But you see on this episode of Lazy Game Reviews (Yes, I do have most of LGR on local storage and scrapped with TVDB Data.  No, I will not be answering's any follow up questions about that. Tongue ) and you see on the sharp lines when played through Kodi at 1360x768 and you see the artifacts clearly.

So I'm wondering if it'd be possible to add some kind of softening filter for such extreme downscale cases?  ...Also I'm wondering if such an idea could be pretty computationally heavy and not worth it for an uncommon edge case even if technically possible.

https://i.imgur.com/wDrfWbS.png

i might think that watching review videos where they are talking about "Office Professional for Windows 95" on a 13 year old TV that only does 1360x768 would be far more than an "edge" case ... more like an "only you" case
(2023-09-23, 23:13)jepsizofye Wrote:  i might think that watching review videos where they are talking about "Office Professional for Windows 95" on a 13 year old TV that only does 1360x768 would be far more than an "edge" case ... more like an "only you" case

It's just a ready example I had that offered sharp detail that made the artifacts easy to see, I assure you it's not exclusive to LGR videos. If you spin up something like Sintel, you see moire caused by the same thing over may of the detailed textures. Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Would it be possible to soften video during downscale to reduce stairsteps and moire?0