Streaming 4K to Kodi from Synology NAS over internet?
I'm looking into a new and larger Synology NAS for my movie collection, and at the same time considering if I might find it useful to be able to access that library from another location over the internet.
I've only had local access for the last 10 years or more, so it's not like I need it desperately, but sometimes I think I'd find it rather useful after all.
Some might suggest Plex + transcoding, but I'd be happy if it were possible with Kodi, as I feel comfortable in that environment, so I could kind of have a similar setup at my girlfriends place, f.e. running on a Chromecast or similar. Streaming to a phone is not too interesting to me though ...

Does anyone know how to go about this in a clever and hopefully also safe manner? ;-)
And if so, any experience with video bitrates vs. wifi/network speeds? I'm running cabled 1Gig ethernet at home, but will probably only be able to connect with wifi at the other location, so that could of course be a bottleneck with uncompressed 4K stuff ...
(2023-10-06, 14:33)jumle Wrote: Some might suggest Plex + transcoding

yes the use of an actual server would be recommended

(2023-10-06, 14:33)jumle Wrote: I'd be happy if it were possible with Kodi

but kodi does not serve anything, it is a client

(2023-10-06, 14:33)jumle Wrote: Streaming to a phone is not too interesting to me though

that is the bare limited use of a streaming server - all premium services use transcoding at some level, Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu etc. it's just there for the best experience for the usable bandwidth

(2023-10-06, 14:33)jumle Wrote: And if so, any experience with video bitrates vs. wifi/network speeds?

this is exactly what a transcoding media server would figure out for you

(2023-10-06, 14:33)jumle Wrote: I'm running cabled 1Gig ethernet at home, but will probably only be able to connect with wifi at the other location, so that could of course be a bottleneck with uncompressed 4K stuff ...

no the bottleneck will be your cable upload speed to the internet which i would estimate to be around 40Mbps - check it at speedtest.net

since you are on synology at least try jellyfin, you can setup a minimal library and the addon for kodi -

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/installation/synology

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/clients/kodi

as far as ...

(2023-10-06, 14:33)jumle Wrote: Does anyone know how to go about this in a clever and hopefully also safe manner? ;-)

this is not the place to discuss internet security and i would not offer nor accept this type of advice on this forum
(2023-10-06, 14:33)jumle Wrote: I'm looking into a new and larger Synology NAS for my movie collection, and at the same time considering if I might find it useful to be able to access that library from another location over the internet.
I've only had local access for the last 10 years or more, so it's not like I need it desperately, but sometimes I think I'd find it rather useful after all.
Some might suggest Plex + transcoding, but I'd be happy if it were possible with Kodi, as I feel comfortable in that environment, so I could kind of have a similar setup at my girlfriends place, f.e. running on a Chromecast or similar. Streaming to a phone is not too interesting to me though ...

Does anyone know how to go about this in a clever and hopefully also safe manner? ;-)
And if so, any experience with video bitrates vs. wifi/network speeds? I'm running cabled 1Gig ethernet at home, but will probably only be able to connect with wifi at the other location, so that could of course be a bottleneck with uncompressed 4K stuff ...

I've been using a Synology NAS for years, with the WEBDAV protocol remote access to my film collection works excellently in Kodi.
I have 50 Mbit/s upload to my NAS. That's enough for 4k movies too.
(2023-10-06, 19:30)Fuchs2468 Wrote:
(2023-10-06, 14:33)jumle Wrote: I'm looking into a new and larger Synology NAS for my movie collection, and at the same time considering if I might find it useful to be able to access that library from another location over the internet.

I've been using a Synology NAS for years, with the WEBDAV protocol remote access to my film collection works excellently in Kodi.
I have 50 Mbit/s upload to my NAS. That's enough for 4k movies too.

Thank U, Fuchs2468 !! :-)

That's exactly the kind of clue I was hoping for, which means that I don't really need to worry about any potential realtime transcoding capability of a new NAS, but strictly network speed :-)
I have 1Gbit connection up and down at the NAS, and at least half of that at the receiving end, so all should be fine, but do you think cabled connection from the receiving router to Kodi will be necessary, or will 802.11ac wifi be fast enough, also for 4K?
(2023-10-07, 17:58)jumle Wrote: but do you think cabled connection from the receiving router to Kodi will be necessary, or will 802.11ac wifi be fast enough, also for 4K?

If you have good signal strength, 802.11ac WiFi should be sufficient.
(2023-10-06, 18:17)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2023-10-06, 14:33)jumle Wrote: I'm running cabled 1Gig ethernet at home, but will probably only be able to connect with wifi at the other location, so that could of course be a bottleneck with uncompressed 4K stuff ...

no the bottleneck will be your cable upload speed to the internet which i would estimate to be around 40Mbps - check it at speedtest.net

since you are on synology at least try jellyfin, you can setup a minimal library and the addon for kodi -

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/installation/synology

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/clients/kodi/basket random

as far as ...

(2023-10-06, 14:33)jumle Wrote: Does anyone know how to go about this in a clever and hopefully also safe manner? ;-)

this is not the place to discuss internet security and i would not offer nor accept this type of advice on this forum
That's just the type of hint I was hoping for, thus it appears that my only concern should be with network speed rather than any hypothetical real-time transcoding capabilities of a new NAS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming 4K to Kodi from Synology NAS over internet?0