Linux Ubuntu 23.10
Hi, I just updated Ubuntu to version 23.10 on the two media centers, but the Kodi ppa is giving me problems.
As the last ppa available launchpad.net tells 23.04, when will support be added? Thank you
not likely, the PPA is unmaintained
you can try the flatpak: https://flathub.org/apps/tv.kodi.Kodi
It worked perfectly, problem solved I would say! At least for now.. I don't know FlatPak and I don't know how it behaves with the release times of application updates, but for now it has everything I need! Thank you very much
(2023-11-06, 07:32)wsnipex Wrote: not likely, the PPA is unmaintained
you can try the flatpak: https://flathub.org/apps/tv.kodi.Kodi

sad to see this after so many years of using the ppa, I am finding this the hard hard way (migrating to new hardware that requires 23.10), I use standalone & GBM, do you know if this is a supported configuration with flatpak? ie. can you call flatpak run from a systemd service without having X running?
(2023-11-12, 22:47)htpcero Wrote: sad to see this after so many years of using the ppa

is there something wrong with the packages provided by Ubuntu ?? https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=kodi
I am about to try them! I will report back in a few days.
In the long distant past, ubuntu packagers used to not embed the kodi-patched ffmpeg which caused crashes while playing some content, but this was many years ago. Let's see where things are at these days
(2023-11-13, 01:18)htpcero Wrote: I am about to try them! I will report back in a few days.
In the long distant past, ubuntu packagers used to not embed the kodi-patched ffmpeg which caused crashes while playing some content, but this was many years ago. Let's see where things are at these days

very good, i ask out of legitimate curiosity

i run debian bullseye so the provided version is 19.4 so to avoid the official packages i self compiled v21 - was wondering if it was the same sort of issue with ubuntu not providing the version you wanted

afaik kodi has done away with custom patches to ffmpeg in order to increase maintainability so i expect as long as 20.2 is good enough for you then you should be fine

don't forget to drop a line when you decide if it's good for your use or not
sorry to report that "kodi from debian" has a lot of issues, particularly with streaming, it's really a time waster.
Apparently kodi uses it's own patched curl in order to get around some CDN/cloudflare limitations and "kodi from debian" uses the system curl libs which simply do not work for iptv-simple use cases.
This is just one of the many issues - but a showstopper for me - there are several other little issues each one of which takes time and effort to squash.

I tried to compile kodi / nexus from source, on my ubuntu 23.10 htpc (I needed a new kernel for the n100 CPU), but this fails at one of the initial steps, building the flatbuffers dependency:

Code:
usr/include/c++/13/bits/stl_algobase.h:437:30: error: ‘void* __builtin_memcpy(void*, const void*, long unsigned int)’ writing between 2 and 9223372036854775803 bytes into a region of size 0 overflows the destination [-Werror=stringop-overflow=]
  437 |             __builtin_memmove(__result, __first, sizeof(_Tp) * _Num);

This HTPC needs Kodi standalone / GBM so the flatpak is a no-go.
So - not sure what to do.

@ KODI devs, could you please keep the ubuntu PPA alive, and add support for 23.10. It was really very useful, the debian packages are not really useful

If anyone knows a 3rd party repo or binary build that works on 23.10, anyway to get kodi standalone on GBM to work on this OS please advise
(2023-11-15, 05:50)htpcero Wrote: sorry to report that "kodi from debian" has a lot of issues, particularly with streaming, it's really a time waster.
Apparently kodi uses it's own patched curl in order to get around some CDN/cloudflare limitations and "kodi from debian" uses the system curl libs which simply do not work for iptv-simple use cases.
This is just one of the many issues - but a showstopper for me - there are several other little issues each one of which takes time and effort to squash.

@ KODI devs, could you please keep the ubuntu PPA alive, and add support for 23.10. It was really very useful, the debian packages are not really useful
I think PPA can be resurrected but how do I suppose to fix Kodi from Debian issues if no one reports them in details?
Maintainer of Kodi from Debian | Got an issue with Kodi from Debian? Report it here: Kodi from Debian - Support Thread
@basilgello thanks for looking into this. I just posted details of the kodi-from-debian issues I ran into in the kodi-from-debian thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3172237

I think there is still a need for a kodi-team official deb reference build as the dependencies between kodi and a few key libraries like ffmpeg and curl are too large and things break easily with new library releases

This - until the flatpak starts to support the standalone GBM use case. Flatpaks are awesome, I use lots in my gnome desktop, but currently Kodi's does not work without an X11 session, and my HTPC build is GBM based (which I believe or thought is the way forward for dedicated HTPCs), it supports HDR etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 23.100