Music videos and their problems
Longtime Kodi user here. I have organized my media collection pretty well, but Music Videos remain a problem. Even to tackle the problem I had to decide where to open this thread - in a video scraper section, the music section or the Music Video scraper section - since it is a hybrid genre. Well, here I am - if mods feel this would better be placed elsewhere, feel free to move.

The initial problem stems from the fact that "Music video" is a hybrid category which has not only two but three possible content types.

a) Some use it for "video clips", i.e. short videos of usually one musical piece performed by a specific artist. Those clips usualy hail from TV or a video clip platform like YouTube.
b) Others use it for "music concerts", i.e. longer videos of live music performances, by one or more artists, of several music pieces. Source may be TV, a video platform or comercial video discs like DVDs or Blu-rays.
c) Still others, me included, would also like to use it for music albums which are released on DVD-A, DVD-V and Blu-ray Audio. I have a sizeable collection of those, all ripped to ISO files. The trouble with those is that they are not recognized as music files when sources are added as type "music" to the music database PLUS they are not tag-eable to help music scrapers find the correct release. Additionally, many of those have some video content, even if it's just a looping clip of a contemplatory nature, so something more than pure audio playback is needed.

How to accomodate all of these use cases? Personally, I have tried several approaches to read them into the Kodi database, none of which were 100% successful.

• The TMDB concert mod scraper finds some of those discs and adds them. It cannot identify regular album releases. Also, it uses the broken "The Movie Database" scraper and as such is in need of an update.
  • Same goes for the Music Concert Database scraper which I am guessing is just an earlier incarnation of the previously mentioned scraper.
  • The AudioDB.com for Music Videos scraper doesn't fare much better, it can identify roughly 50% of my folders/ISOs.

So, what to do? Well, for music we already have a good music scraper based on Musicbrainz data. Their database is very comprehensive and also covers DVD-A/V and Blu-ray, including concerts.This could be used to weave together video and music. See for an example the release of Sting's concert "Bring on the Night", and note how tracks are shown as video content.

So what about video clips? Personally, I don't collect those but let me check if there are such things on Musicbrainz. Since I grew up with 80's music I'll search for some Tears for Fears clips. Bummer, nothing there. I guess Musicbrainz only indexes those media items that have a unique digital signature (hash), which in the case of video files is not that easy since they are usually fingerprinted by lenght and encoding only, potentially leading to many many duplicates.

Then there is Discogs. It's very similar to Musicbrainz in that it allow your music to be identifed by content and id's. If you have a look at the enctrance for Tears for Fears, you'll note that there is some general text about the artist, followed by 4 sections: Discography, Reviews, Videos and Lists. The Video section features an impressive 354 items at the time of writing (the band is still active). So Discogs would seem like the go-to database source for all 3 use cases. Some great Discogs scrapers exist for other software like foo_discogger which is even available on Github. Also there are lots of ratings and reviews on Discogs whereas they're pretty scarce on Musicbrainz.

Well, writing a new scraper is certainly a huge project and I know Kodi dev resources are spread thinly. Hopefully there's a dev who's into Music Videos and feels inspired and motivated by my thoughts to investigate further. That's all folks, thanks for reading!
What is your end goal?  If it's to create a song/album relation in music database that I think can only be done with cue sheets?  Or as video/musicvideo using nfo files?  If you need artist and album added data, that I guess requires music library entry AFAIK artist and album must be related to a song in the database or it gets cleaned out.

scott s.
My end goal would that a Music Video scraper would scrape Blu-ray and DVD like music but from Discogs as source, yet add them with video parameters so they can be played like videos. Not sure if I made myself clear.
(2023-12-11, 23:59)HeresJohnny Wrote: My end goal would that a Music Video scraper would scrape Blu-ray and DVD like music but from Discogs as source, yet add them with video parameters so they can be played like videos. Not sure if I made myself clear.
Are you looking for something like this, where music videos play like videos and have all the same capabilities ?  These are the music video files you sent me imported into Mezzmo and displayed through Kodi in browse mode.

In Kodi native mode they sync and look like this:

I created an addon setting awhile back to allow you to sync them with Kodi as videos or music videos but the browse mode seems to align more with the ask.  At least I think so.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
No, I think we are talking about completely different things. It's kinda hard to explain abstractly if you don't have any DVD or Blu-ray discs that are converted to ISO. You cannot index the contents or play certain tracks from such ISOs directly from the Kodi GUI but have to go through the disc's menu. All I'm asking for is that the information of this content be fetched remotely via a scraper.

I'll give you an example with the following DVD-V "Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses"
When opening the ISO (with VLC in my case) you enter this menu:
The first and third entry will lead you to sub-menus and enable you to play music tracks in different mixes. The second entry starts a video.
Discogs lists this release here: https://www.discogs.com/release/709256-D...The-Masses (cf. the DVD part, they have changed the order a bit).
I would like a scraper to retrieve as much info from that page as possible and present it as structured text only, much like with movie info. Again, I do not expect any track or video to be playbed directly from the Kodi GUI.

If anybody is interested in tackling this I would send them such an ISO privately to run some tests.
(On a side note, in my tests Kodi cannot play most of my DVD-V with music content at all... it usually gets stuck at the menu screen.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music videos and their problems0