Extras and Jellyfin
Is there any way to use the Extras feature when using Jellyfin as the backend?  I'm using it in add-on mode.  I was previously using a straight SMB fileshare, but had some performance issues that I suspect stemmed from SMB, and things seem much smoother this way, so trying to avoid native mode.  Jellyfin shows everything my Extras folders as Special Features in the app and web interface, which is great.  But it doesn't seem like that's synced to Kodi at all.
not currently possible as it's not implemented in the jellyfin for kodi addon https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-kodi/issues/787

follow up on their forum https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-kodi-development
(2024-01-06, 09:14)izprtxqkft Wrote: not currently possible as it's not implemented in the jellyfin for kodi addon https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-kodi/issues/787

follow up on their forum https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-kodi-development
Oh shoot, I even had a tab open review the plugin's issues page, but have so many going that I missed that I hadn't yet!  I searched in a bunch of other places, except that one of course!  Bummer that it hasn't been done yet...but also wonder if anything has to be changed on the Kodi side to support it.  I assume so...
(2024-01-06, 09:20)olevelo Wrote: but also wonder if anything has to be changed on the Kodi side to support it.  I assume so...

depends on what the jellyfin developer wants to do, could easily make extras available from the addon, the mezzmo dev does for their addon
when they implement it they will figure it out
(2024-01-06, 09:33)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-01-06, 09:20)olevelo Wrote: but also wonder if anything has to be changed on the Kodi side to support it.  I assume so...

depends on what the jellyfin developer wants to do, could easily make extras available from the addon, the mezzmo dev does for their addon
when they implement it they will figure it out
Hmm, if that's the case, then should be able to look at the mezzmo code to see how it's done.  I did a quick search through it but don't see anything obvious.
(2024-01-06, 10:14)olevelo Wrote: Hmm, if that's the case, then should be able to look at the mezzmo code to see how it's done.  I did a quick search through it but don't see anything obvious.

I've not done a lot of testing with Extras and the Mezzmo Kodi addon but there isn't anything inherent in the code which would keep it from working on Kodi.  However, since Extras is a Kodi thing and not a Mezzmo thing, you'd have to manage it on each Kodi instance.  The Mezzmo Kodi addon won't sync it across Kodi clients, like it does everything in the Mezzmo database,  since Mezzmo is unaware of it.  That sounds similar to what you are seeing with Jellyfin. 

I've considered adding extras-like functionality into the Mezzmo Kodi addon but it's not something I've looked into deeply.  If you run the Mezzmo Kodi addon in native mode (different than Jellyfin's native mode) I would expect extras to work in Kodi, again just not sync across clients.  Mezzmo's GUI mode is similar to Jellyfin's addon mode.  We chose different names just to keep it simple Smile

If you want to test Extras and if you find any issues, I am happy to look at seeing what I can do.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2024-01-06, 12:19)jbinkley60 Wrote:
(2024-01-06, 10:14)olevelo Wrote: Hmm, if that's the case, then should be able to look at the mezzmo code to see how it's done.  I did a quick search through it but don't see anything obvious.

I've not done a lot of testing with Extras and the Mezzmo Kodi addon but there isn't anything inherent in the code which would keep it from working on Kodi.  However, since Extras is a Kodi thing and not a Mezzmo thing, you'd have to manage it on each Kodi instance.  The Mezzmo Kodi addon won't sync it across Kodi clients, like it does everything in the Mezzmo database,  since Mezzmo is unaware of it.  That sounds similar to what you are seeing with Jellyfin. 

I've considered adding extras-like functionality into the Mezzmo Kodi addon but it's not something I've looked into deeply.  If you run the Mezzmo Kodi addon in native mode (different than Jellyfin's native mode) I would expect extras to work in Kodi, again just not sync across clients.  Mezzmo's GUI mode is similar to Jellyfin's addon mode.  We chose different names just to keep it simple Smile

If you want to test Extras and if you find any issues, I am happy to look at seeing what I can do.

Thanks,

Jeff
Hmm, I guess I'm confused as to what Mezzmo does with Extras then.  Jellyfin natively supports Extras (but calls them Special Features in the GUI), but doesn't expose them to Kodi.  I'll have to do some more digging.
(2024-01-06, 21:58)olevelo Wrote: Hmm, I guess I'm confused as to what Mezzmo does with Extras then.  Jellyfin natively supports Extras (but calls them Special Features in the GUI), but doesn't expose them to Kodi.  I'll have to do some more digging.

Yeah, I think we are getting into a bit of a terminology thing.  The extras I am speaking of are from Kodi and the extras Kodi addon not extras within Jellyfin.  I believe they are similar but implemented very differently.  There is work being done to add some of this functionality into Kodi in this thread.    The Mezzmo Kodi addon already supports a very user friendly way of handling moviesets, movie versions / collections, keywords / favorites  and similar across Kodi clients seamlessly.  I am watching this Kodi work closely and once the dust settles I may add support from the Mezzmo Kodi addon to sync into this feature from Mezzmo, which would allow leveraging some of the additional Kodi skin panels and such but much of this is already handled by the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The part that is relevant to extras is that it seems like this new Kodi feature may support some extras information in the Kodi database vs it being outside right now.  If that happens then syncing across Kodi instances becomes doable via the current background sync process.

With regards to the Jellyfin extras content, can you tell me what kind of stuff is in its extras ?  I have a Jellyfin server I use for development testing but haven't spent a lot of time looking at all of the features.  Depending upon what you are looking for this may be able to be added to Mezzmo and the addon possibly via Mezzmo channels.  I recently updated the Mezzmo Movie and TV Trailers channel for full 100% automation.  Depending upon the goal, this could be an avenue.  I've also added support for multiple local trailers which Kodi doesn't support natively.  S if I can get pointed in a direction of what you are looking for with extras, I can let you know whether it exists, is on the roadmap or is possible.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2024-01-06, 22:16)jbinkley60 Wrote:
(2024-01-06, 21:58)olevelo Wrote: Hmm, I guess I'm confused as to what Mezzmo does with Extras then.  Jellyfin natively supports Extras (but calls them Special Features in the GUI), but doesn't expose them to Kodi.  I'll have to do some more digging.

Yeah, I think we are getting into a bit of a terminology thing.  The extras I am speaking of are from Kodi and the extras Kodi addon not extras within Jellyfin.  I believe they are similar but implemented very differently.  There is work being done to add some of this functionality into Kodi in this thread.    The Mezzmo Kodi addon already supports a very user friendly way of handling moviesets, movie versions / collections, keywords / favorites  and similar across Kodi clients seamlessly.  I am watching this Kodi work closely and once the dust settles I may add support from the Mezzmo Kodi addon to sync into this feature from Mezzmo, which would allow leveraging some of the additional Kodi skin panels and such but much of this is already handled by the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The part that is relevant to extras is that it seems like this new Kodi feature may support some extras information in the Kodi database vs it being outside right now.  If that happens then syncing across Kodi instances becomes doable via the current background sync process.

With regards to the Jellyfin extras content, can you tell me what kind of stuff is in its extras ?  I have a Jellyfin server I use for development testing but haven't spent a lot of time looking at all of the features.  Depending upon what you are looking for this may be able to be added to Mezzmo and the addon possibly via Mezzmo channels.  I recently updated the Mezzmo Movie and TV Trailers channel for full 100% automation.  Depending upon the goal, this could be an avenue.  I've also added support for multiple local trailers which Kodi doesn't support natively.  S if I can get pointed in a direction of what you are looking for with extras, I can let you know whether it exists, is on the roadmap or is possible.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jellyfin handles it exactly the same way as the Kodi Extras add-on.  Well actually I think it has a few different ways you can use it, but I already had things setup for Kodi Extras and it worked without any changes.  So an Extras folder in the movie folder (or TV Show), with each file named the same as the movie plus whatever extra info.  Then when you view a movie's information, below the cast there's a bunch of thumbnails for each extra (labeled Special Features).  I think the intent of the earlier implementation in the Jellyfin Addon was to expose that as an Extras folder to Kodi so the plugin would work.  But if they're making a new way to handle them that's built-in, with metadata and everything...I guess it'd be a bit of a waste of time to work on this right now.  Bummer.
(2024-01-07, 03:28)olevelo Wrote: Jellyfin handles it exactly the same way as the Kodi Extras add-on.  Well actually I think it has a few different ways you can use it, but I already had things setup for Kodi Extras and it worked without any changes.  So an Extras folder in the movie folder (or TV Show), with each file named the same as the movie plus whatever extra info.  Then when you view a movie's information, below the cast there's a bunch of thumbnails for each extra (labeled Special Features).  I think the intent of the earlier implementation in the Jellyfin Addon was to expose that as an Extras folder to Kodi so the plugin would work.  But if they're making a new way to handle them that's built-in, with metadata and everything...I guess it'd be a bit of a waste of time to work on this right now.  Bummer.

Thanks.  I am getting ready to head out on vacation for a few weeks but I plan to look into this further when I return.  The Mezzmo Kodi addon has always supported the Kodi extras feature because it doesn't interfere with it, it just exists along side of it.  I've never spent a lot of time to see exactly what information the extras feature pulls in and whether I should look to integrate.  One design point is that the Mezzmo Kodi addon does not alter or add any new Kodi xml files for presenting information.  That is an area I have totally avoided to not have to deal with potential skin issues and such.  That could be a near term show stopper.  The addon does handle view mapping by content type but that is handled via existing Kodi calls.  I might be willing to look into a new information windows which would include extras data but doubtful on altering existing windows.

Are there specific extras items that are of most interest (i.e. other ratings, other information etc..)   ? 

Jeff
(2024-01-07, 15:06)jbinkley60 Wrote:
(2024-01-07, 03:28)olevelo Wrote: Jellyfin handles it exactly the same way as the Kodi Extras add-on.  Well actually I think it has a few different ways you can use it, but I already had things setup for Kodi Extras and it worked without any changes.  So an Extras folder in the movie folder (or TV Show), with each file named the same as the movie plus whatever extra info.  Then when you view a movie's information, below the cast there's a bunch of thumbnails for each extra (labeled Special Features).  I think the intent of the earlier implementation in the Jellyfin Addon was to expose that as an Extras folder to Kodi so the plugin would work.  But if they're making a new way to handle them that's built-in, with metadata and everything...I guess it'd be a bit of a waste of time to work on this right now.  Bummer.

Thanks.  I am getting ready to head out on vacation for a few weeks but I plan to look into this further when I return.  The Mezzmo Kodi addon has always supported the Kodi extras feature because it doesn't interfere with it, it just exists along side of it.  I've never spent a lot of time to see exactly what information the extras feature pulls in and whether I should look to integrate.  One design point is that the Mezzmo Kodi addon does not alter or add any new Kodi xml files for presenting information.  That is an area I have totally avoided to not have to deal with potential skin issues and such.  That could be a near term show stopper.  The addon does handle view mapping by content type but that is handled via existing Kodi calls.  I might be willing to look into a new information windows which would include extras data but doubtful on altering existing windows.

Are there specific extras items that are of most interest (i.e. other ratings, other information etc..)   ? 

Jeff
Thanks.  I would give Mezzmo a shot to see how it's handling things, but my NAS is Linux.  But definitely curious to see how it works.  For your last question, I've been investigating pulling the IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes ratings into Kodi, but from conversations with a skin developer, the skins wouldn't be able to use them anyway.  And currently the IMDB rating is copied into the Kodi rating.  So I guess that is what it is.
(2024-01-07, 20:11)olevelo Wrote: Thanks.  I would give Mezzmo a shot to see how it's handling things, but my NAS is Linux.  But definitely curious to see how it works.  For your last question, I've been investigating pulling the IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes ratings into Kodi, but from conversations with a skin developer, the skins wouldn't be able to use them anyway.  And currently the IMDB rating is copied into the Kodi rating.  So I guess that is what it is.

Thanks.  Yes for IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes Kodi would need to be able to display it.  That is what I was referencing about an additional window to display the additional information.  Mezzmo itself has traditionally followed Kodi closely and so it natively doesn't grab these additional ratings.  That could be handled via the addon but would deviate from the centralized management approach and then there would still be the issue of displaying.  An extra window would be needed or modifying existing skins, which I wouldn't want to do.

Yes, Mezzmo is limited to running just on Windows but it can run as a VM on a Linux host (I doubt a NAS system can do virtualization hosting) or it can run under Wine on Linux.  I have run it as a VM in my development environment but have never tried to run it under Wine.  I personally find it running on Windows a major advantage for a number of reasons but I realize that isn't for everyone.

Thanks,

Jeff
Thanks.  My NAS is headless, so a VM would have to run a remote desktop or something, and bottom line, way more trouble than I want to go!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Extras and Jellyfin0