Kodi Crashes in Episode view when HDMI signal connection drops.
Using Kodi 18.9 still but this behavior has occurred over numerous versions so looking for a solution unless it has been fixed in newer versions.

When leaving Kodi in TV Show Episode view and the HDMI connection to the display drops, Kodi crashes. This in in Windows 10.

In other views Kodi doesn't crash. The Home screen, Movies, TV Shows, Season view etc. Only seems to occur  in Episode view. The action is consistent as I'll watch several TV episodes at night in bed and set the sleep timer for my TV and receiver so if/when I fall asleep that equipment will turn off automatically. When I turn things back on the next day, if an episode had been playing and finished and Kodi returned to the Episode view, Kodi has crashed. If I start an episode and then bring up the OSD to back Kodi out to the Season view then hide the OSD while the episode still continues and the sleep timer turns everything off, when I return Kodi is still running fine. And no issues when playing a movie or other media that does not default back to the Episode view after playing is finished.

Has there been any fix for this or other suggestion o prevent Kodi from crashing as such?
I can't replicate the issue on my set-up, and it appears not to be a common problem. Given that you experience this issue with multiple iterations suggests an external issue in the o/s or hardware. Next failure, post the log file to a public pastebin and link that URL with this thread.

To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
This crashing occurs on 5 different systems constantly and has for years. Only recently got annoyed enough to look for a solution, figuring it was some HDMI handshake error, and noticing it only seemed to be occurring on the Episode view and not on others.

Log
The issue to show up on multiple machines over multiple iterations of Kodi, suggest there is something that is responsible when you run Kodi. When having Kodi issues, it's always best to run a simple version, default skin without add-ons to nail down the culprit. FTL: I see you are using a custom skin, (the issue you're having might be associated with skin) and of course jellyfin, properties of which I am unfamiliar with, there may be support elsewhere for that.

Suggest: Grab the latest stable version of Kodi, install it in Portable mode (wiki) without any add-ons, default skin, allocate 1 source with a few movies, ensure it's functionality with attention to your issue. Should that work well we can at least deduce that either the skin, jellyfin or some extra is at fault. By trial elimination you will have your culprit. (suspect skin in combination with jellyfin). 

VideoExtras add-on for Kodi 18 does not appear to work https://github.com/robwebset/script.videoextras, the latest Kodi has the extras handled in a different way.
This issue has been a regular occurrence with Kodi since before I created my custom skin and happened while using the original skin my custom was built upon. It seems to be isolated to the TV Episodes view, and was an issue long before I began using Jellyfin to handle my database. It happens on multiple machines connected to multiple A/V receivers and displays, when in the Episode screen and the HDMI WASAPI signal drops because the equipment is turned off.

I stick with what works and newer versions of Kodi have not advanced forward very useful things, like as mentioned the Video Extras, for my uses. The new function that Kodi uses is a far worse design and requires more steps than the simple and basic add-on that was created long ago but deemed inappropriate because that dev didn't follow some specific rule and moving forward team Kodi had no interest in making that feature of Kodi as simple, seamless and elegant as the add-on.

My skin is also built for 2 set-ups that use 3D and as Kodi moves forward 3D support gets worse and worse. It's also integrated with the last viable version of CinemaVision which is the successor to a major part of why I found XBMC/Kodi in the first place.

If you feel it is skin related and nothing in the log jumped out as being the reason then I'll continue to deal with it. If Kodi moves forward with a good clean simple system for extras, this new version of the movie like pre-show and full 3D support I will revisit updating my Kodi installs as well. But other than these crashes most of the rest of Kodi as I have it setup isn't broke and doesn't need to be fixed.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this issue for me.
(2024-01-16, 07:06)K0D1User1138 Wrote: feel it is skin related and nothing in the log jumped out
It would seem to be the obvious issue, that could have slipped into the code pile early on. Sounds like you're an experienced user and should be familiar with Portable mode (wiki), wouldn't take but 10 minutes to set it up the way I suggested, which more or less will take us down the line to discovery. 50% of your log are calls to jellyfin and I don't run with it, so I'm not much help with that. Instead of continuing to 'deal' with it as is; persevere and lets get to the bottom of this.
(2024-01-16, 07:06)K0D1User1138 Wrote: Kodi moves forward with a good clean simple system for extras
Definitely in the works, will be amalgamated with video versions, devs have set up a special slack thread to accomplish this.
Not to shift topics of my own thread but I've found every attempt to make a video extras option in mainline Kodi to seemingly fail to understand what made that old add-on so perfec.t You could have extras, located in an Extras folder nested in the movie or TV show root folder, and then just add and subtract at will. No scraping, no scanning, no updating. Kodi skin integrates an Extras button and you click it sending Kodi to look in the root folder for the Extras menu and return the results. Quick, clean and simple.

All other add-ons I've been suggested to try require scraping and updates to the Kodi library and so on, for every instance, and every user. The old add-on makes it easy for the admin and any users looking for extras can access them easily. At least on LAN as I'm not sure through Jellyfin extras works as intended on a remote set-up. But then Jellyfin itself works exactly as described above anyways and any remote user could access them that way.

I understand some people want fully scraped and added to their library somehow Extras content but for me it's just extra stuff, quick and easy. I'e not been paying close attention to the latest developments because I found something that works very well for me in my set-ups save for a few minor hiccups. I did put a ton of time into re-worked a skin to suit my desire and have it pretty close to finished for what I want. Finding Jellyfin was a game changer for library management with over 6500 movies and 450 TV shows. It's just annoying having to close the crashed Kodi and restart it nightly when I watch TV shows while falling asleep.

The various editions work sounds interesting in practice but for me it needs to work with Jellyfin and be easy to use in the Kodi front-end. And it's pretty niche as there aren't many movies I'd have multiple versions of. My current project is to work on a dedicated server chassis build. Just missed a killer deal on a Supermicro 36bay case that I'm kicking myself over. $300 free local pick-up. But I sneezed and it was too late.

I know for my custom skin migrating to the latest Kodi, all other things considered, would be a ton of work to bring over. I don't have the time and interest in doing so presently. But I love my skin and it's why I keep Kodi as the UI and promote it to others.
I use the old 'extras' add-on, it used to work well, back when it was supported. Now there's little to remind me that extras are available for access. I think the new work will take care of that, stay tuned.

Re-reading the title of this thread, a light bulb moment. Wondering if loss of HDCP handshaking is at the root of the issue? Of course it shouldn't crash outright, but jumping back to default on loss of handshaking note: receive changing logical size to 1024.000000 x 768.000000 with unsupported audio, interesting in that it's just one view type.
(2024-01-15, 02:32)K0D1User1138 Wrote: in bed and set the sleep timer for my TV and receiver
Leprechaun Jokes aside, the priority manner of shutdown might be leaving the handshake issue, see if you can exit Kodi first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Crashes in Episode view when HDMI signal connection drops.0