Create own tv show using NFOs to display episode info
I am attempting to add shows from the "On Cinema" universe to my kodi tv shows. But episodes from different shows in the universe relate to each other and should be played in a certain order. I'm sure there is a way to accomplish this with playlists or something but I'd really like them all to appear under "On Cinema Universe" under tv shows instead of having on cinema, decker, exposed, heilot season, Oscar specials... I think there are more too.

I keep all of the episodes named properly, but withe a prefix, for example: (0132) to keep them organized in one folder and playing in order.

Is there a way to create my own "TV Show" (On Cinema Universe). Then when I navigate into the tv show all of the episodes are listed there in my preferred order. All of the episodes' info and images are present and scraped using parsing NFOs. This would be beneficial for me for other series as well. I'm thinking attack on titan with all of the specials.

Thanks for any help! Sorry if this should be somewhere else or has been asked before. I didn't really know what to even search for!

Cheers!
ZappBrannigan
(2024-02-06, 04:00)mjc_cox Wrote: Is there a way to create my own "TV Show" (On Cinema Universe). Then when I navigate into the tv show all of the episodes are listed there in my preferred order
Yes there is a way.

You need to have nfo files and local artwork first.The Parsing nfo files are no good for this process.
Run the Export to Separate Files function. If you don't mind a barely perceptible lower quality artwork, then also export the artwork, otherwise use Artwork Dump to download the original artwork
Modify the data in the tvshow.nfo file to suit your needs.
The episode nfo files don't need to be edited.

Figure out how you are going to set up the various Seasons.
Then in the correct viewing order, renumber the video file, nfo file and thumb file for each episode to include the S01E01 numbering.

(2024-02-06, 04:00)mjc_cox Wrote: but withe a prefix, for example: (0132)
For this to work correctly, you are going to have to drop the prefix, otherwise it will confuse Kodi into thinking it is the episode number.
Instead, name it as...
S01E01 - On Cinema Universe.mkv
S01E01 - On Cinema Universe.nfo
S01E01 - On Cinema Universe-thumb.mkv

So your episodes will still have a prefix to keep them in the correct order, but a Kodi compatible prefix.

Easy?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Could i keep some file naming? For example: 

(S01E50) - On Cinema (S05E03) - 'Jupiter Ascending' and 'Planes - Fire and Rescue'.mkv
(S01E50) - On Cinema (S05E03) - 'Jupiter Ascending' and 'Planes - Fire and Rescue'.nfo
(S01E50) - On Cinema (S05E03) - 'Jupiter Ascending' and 'Planes - Fire and Rescue'.jpg
(S01E51) - Decker (S01E01).mkv
(S01E51) - Decker (S01E01).nfo
(S01E51) - Decker (S01E01).jpg

In your explanation is the "Export to Separate Files" function a part of Kodi? Would using this and Artwork Dump assume that i have already added these shows with the Kodi scraper?
These 2 things to get me  the already populated nfo files and image files?
ZappBrannigan
(2024-02-06, 04:36)mjc_cox Wrote: Could i keep some file naming? For example: 

(S01E50) - On Cinema (S05E03) - 'Jupiter Ascending' and 'Planes - Fire and Rescue'.mkv
(S01E50) - On Cinema (S05E03) - 'Jupiter Ascending' and 'Planes - Fire and Rescue'.nfo
(S01E50) - On Cinema (S05E03) - 'Jupiter Ascending' and 'Planes - Fire and Rescue'.jpg
(S01E51) - Decker (S01E01).mkv
(S01E51) - Decker (S01E01).nfo
(S01E51) - Decker (S01E01).jpg
Hmm, as long as the Kodi compatible numbering is first. In your example it would be S01E50 and S01E51. Kodi will be scanning and sorting on that.

(2024-02-06, 04:36)mjc_cox Wrote: In your explanation is the "Export to Separate Files" function a part of Kodi?
Yep... https://kodi.wiki/view/Import-export_library/Video

(2024-02-06, 04:36)mjc_cox Wrote: Would using this and Artwork Dump assume that i have already added these shows with the Kodi scraper?
Yes, definitely. The exporting and the use of Artwork Dump assumes that all these episodes are already correctly scraped into your library. We are just exporting all that data into user files so we can manipulate them, then scan them back in.
Once you have exported and have the artwork and nfo files, those existing tv shows will be deleted from your library.
Episodes are combined and reorganised, then the new tv show is scanned into the library.

(2024-02-06, 04:36)mjc_cox Wrote: These 2 things to get me  the already populated nfo files and image files?
Sorry, not sure what you are asking.

Also, in your tvshow.nfo file, if you have a <episodeguide></episodeguide> tag, then delete it as it won't be valid anymore and may cause Kodi scraper to have a fit. Wink
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
By my last question there it looks like I was the one having a fit! Haha... You answered the question already! I'll get at this tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!
ZappBrannigan
I just had a minute to work on this now. I came up with a few questions.

Can I put hundreds of episodes in one season like S01E0305? Or do i need to separate them into seasons? What would the maximum number of episodes be for a season?
Do i have to add my custom tv show differently in kodi? I placed it in my TV Shows folder and it got scanned in like normal using tmdb. Season 1 had more in it but the other seasons were still there separated. It's also starting the numbering in the Season1 folder at #37. Like episode 1 is labelled as episode 37.
Do you think that these filenames might be problematic?:
S01E0001 - (0001) - On Cinema (S01E01) - 'The Man with the Iron Fists' and 'Flight'.mp4
S01E0053 - (0053) - Decker (S01E02).mp4
S01E0183 - (0183) - On Cinema (S11E10) 'Knives Out' and 'Queen and Slim'.mp4

Thanks for your guidance!
ZappBrannigan
(2024-02-07, 04:57)mjc_cox Wrote: Can I put hundreds of episodes in one season like S01E0305? Or do i need to separate them into seasons? What would the maximum number of episodes be for a season?
There is no coded limit in Kodi.
During testing, I have scraped above 100 episodes without issue.
The entire show can be one season if you like. It's not often that users do that because most follow the listings at the scraper sites.

(2024-02-07, 04:57)mjc_cox Wrote: Do i have to add my custom tv show differently in kodi?
Nope. Whether the info comes from a scraper site, or nfo files it's just a tv show.

(2024-02-07, 04:57)mjc_cox Wrote: Season 1 had more in it but the other seasons were still there separated. It's also starting the numbering in the Season1 folder at #37. Like episode 1 is labelled as episode 37.
Do you think that these filenames might be problematic?:
From your example, I cannot see where Kodi would find E37
Can you provide a Debug Log that captures that scanning so I can check what is confusing the scanner.
Also provide the nfo file for that episode #37
My Signature
The problems I was having have been solved by adjusting the filenames. Having the "S01E01" string in the filenames twice did confuse Kodi a bit. I just changed those to "01x01". For example: "S01E0001 - (0001) - On Cinema (S01E01) - 'The Man with the Iron Fists' and 'Flight'.mp4" Changed to "S01E0001 - (0001) - On Cinema (01x01) - 'The Man with the Iron Fists' and 'Flight'.mp4" Works perfectly. 

I haven't attempted to add the "other" shows like Decker to it yet as I wanted to take it one bite at a time.

p.s. the episodes starting at #37 thing went away upon removing and re-scanning the library. Just a one-time hiccup.
ZappBrannigan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Create own tv show using NFOs to display episode info0