RP5 - No Audio after closing Kodi
I have installed Raspbian 64bit on my Raspberry Pi 5 and downloaded Kodi (20.3) via "Pi-Apps" Store.
The Pi is connected via a HDMI Cable to my LG SmartTV. The TV has an eArc output to my Soundbar.
Watching Movies with the Pi works really well. The Audio passes through my soundbar as expected. 
Every time I open Kodi, it says "Pulse eigth CEC Adapter connecting" and then that it is connected to my soundbar.
In the program is lists under system - audio devices "pipewire"
That just as information about the setup.

My issue is, that besides in Kodi, the sound doesnt work anywhere else on the system anymore.
While Kodi is open and I tab out to my browser, I can't play any Audio Streams. No youtube, no twitch, nothing. I can watch trailers in Kodi though. I could totally live with the situation that the sound only works while Kodi is open. But: Even if I close Kodi, the audio does not work anymore. No matter how often I restart the browser or anything else.
If I click on the audio symbol in the task bar, it disappears. If I rightclick it, it disappears too but a small windows says "no audio devices".
Every time I restart my Pi, the audio works perfectly fine systemwide, for hours and hours. As soon as I open Kodi, it works only in the program but nowhere else, even after closing Kodi.

I really dont understand this, does anyone have an idea what that could be?
(2024-02-20, 21:57)Cheer11 Wrote: I have installed Raspbian 64bit on my Raspberry Pi 5 and downloaded Kodi (20.3) via "Pi-Apps" Store.

Using Pi-Apps Store to install kodi adds an extra level of unknown to the issue.
I don't know if they use an untouched kodi from apt, or their own build with with their of configuration.

If you have a spare sdcard, can you install RPiOS bookworm 64-bit, run
"sudo apt install kodi" and then report if you have the same issue?

The apt version of kodi includes two options to launch it. One is "Kodi" (desktop) and one is "Kodi fullscreen".
Does the audio problem only occur when using the fullscreen option?
(2024-02-21, 13:38)popcornmix Wrote: If you have a spare sdcard, can you install RPiOS bookworm 64-bit, run
"sudo apt install kodi" and then report if you have the same issue?

Unfortunately I do not, but since bookworm is the OS I have installed right now, I could just remove Kodi via the App Store and reinstall it via the command you provided? 

(2024-02-21, 13:38)popcornmix Wrote: The apt version of kodi includes two options to launch it. One is "Kodi" (desktop) and one is "Kodi fullscreen".
Does the audio problem only occur when using the fullscreen option?

I just tested it, it happens in both modes. And the fullscreen option is not very nice to use since its not possible to tab out and use the browser sometimes
(2024-02-21, 13:38)popcornmix Wrote: "sudo apt install kodi" and then report if you have the same issue?

I have just deinstalled Kodi using Pi-Apps and reinstalled it with your code sudo apt install kodi
Same behaviour: sound works good -> I open Kodi and close it -> no sound works on the system -> if I open Kodi again, in Kodi the sound works.

Then I deinstalled it again using the Guide
and reinstalling again with sudo apt install kodi
Same outcome

This is crazy, how can opening Kodi take the sound away of my whole system but within Kodi the sound still works?
If someone ever finds this from google having the same problem:
I confirmed with multiple cleaninstalls that Docker causes the issue. As soon as I installed and started my Docker containers, doesnt matter which ones, it started. Tried it with just Docker, Docker-Compose and Portainer.
Then I switched to Ubuntu instead of Raspberry OS and the issue did not happen there. Furthermore, Kodi behaves differently in Ubuntu. For instance, when starting Kodi, in Raspberry OS I got a notification on the top right corner that it is conneting to my Soundbar. This does not happen in Ubuntu. I am running Portainer, 3 Docker containers and Kodi in Ubuntu without any issue so far.
I think this is the issue I am having. When I run Kodi in Raspberry PI OS it not only will cause the sound to fail and require a reboot, but it has also caused Chromium to not be able to play videos from websites like YouTube, Netflix and so on. They will immediately freeze with just a circle showing loading. I even did a fresh install of Pi OS confirmed Chromium videos were working fine, installed and run Kodi and it immediately caused the Chromium videos to stop working. This seems like a pretty serious bug. Rebooting the Pi doesn't always get the videos working again either. I'm going to do another clean install and not run Kodi in Pi OS. I will just run a separate USB with Libreelec when I need Kodi.
(2024-02-20, 21:57)Cheer11 Wrote: Even if I close Kodi, the audio does not work anymore. No matter how often I restart the browser or anything else.
If I click on the audio symbol in the task bar, it disappears. If I rightclick it, it disappears too but a small windows says "no audio devices".
Every time I restart my Pi, the audio works perfectly fine systemwide, for hours and hours. As soon as I open Kodi, it works only in the program but nowhere else, even after closing Kodi.

I face the same issue on my RPi 5 (Bookworm 15 March 2024). while the version of Bookworm from Oct 2023 (up to date) does not show this behaviour.
Booting the same SD card on my RPi 3B does not show this problem. Therefore I made a thread on Raspberry Pi forum - Troubles.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RP5 - No Audio after closing Kodi0