Beginners Questions: File Folder, Deleting Files, and Context Menu
I’m dumping Apple TV and iTunes and moving to Kodi.
My intent is to keep the Kodi program and my movies/TV shows on a dedicated 16TB external HDD attached to a Lenovo mini PC/HTPC. 
As a first step, I just installed Kodi in portable mode on the HDD. 
From reading a Kodi Smart Home Beginners Guide [here], it looks like the best place for my movie/TV files will be under the drive:\Kodi>portable data>media folder in separate “Movie” and “TV Show” folders that I will create.  That seems simple enough.
Unfortunately, before I found that Guide info, I linked a full season of a particular TV show as a “source” from another connected HDD.
Now I can’t figure out how to delete these videos or this “source” so I can re-install the videos in their proper folder.
Numerous Wiki and forum posts [for example, here] say that the only way to delete a video or source entry is via a “Context” menu, accessed by a right mouse-click or by hitting the letter “c” on the keyboard [here].  I’ve tried this many times and can’t get a “context” menu to come up. 
So here’s my first question:  Is there something else I can try to get to the “context” menu? 
Second question:  There are two “media” folders in the Kodi program.  One is located at the Kodi root [drive:\Kodi>media].  The other is within the Kodi Portable Data folder [drive:\Kodi>portable data>media].  The Smart Home Guide says to use the drive:\Kodi>portable data>media folder, but I realize Smart Home is not as authoritative as the Kodi Wiki.  So does this forum agree that the drive:\Kodi>portable data>media folder is the right place to create my Movie and TV Show folders?
Thanks in advance.
(2024-03-01, 18:22)right.mind Wrote: Numerous Wiki and forum posts [for example, here] say that the only way to delete a video or source entry is via a “Context” menu, accessed by a right mouse-click or by hitting the letter “c” on the keyboard [here].  I’ve tried this many times and can’t get a “context” menu to come up. 

this is the correct way, if you're not getting a context menu to show up then it matters where you are attempting this

if not already, go to Videos -> Files and the context should work on the entries there
I wouldn't recommend storing your videos in any of Kodi's folders (Kodi\media or Kodi\portable_data\media), they're not meant for that.
A media top folder at the root of the drive would do the trick, like so: drive:\media
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2024-03-01, 18:25)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-03-01, 18:22)right.mind Wrote: Numerous Wiki and forum posts [for example, here] say that the only way to delete a video or source entry is via a “Context” menu, accessed by a right mouse-click or by hitting the letter “c” on the keyboard [here].  I’ve tried this many times and can’t get a “context” menu to come up. 

. . . go to Videos -> Files and the context should work on the entries there
Yup, that did it.  Question one answered.  Thank you!

Any thoughts on question two, where to place Movie and TV Show folders, would be appreciated.  drive:\Kodi>media -- or -- drive:\Kodi>portable data>media
drive:\TV
drive:\Movies\genre

Removable drives should have letters manually set down the alphabet, (windows plays musical chairs with drive letter assignments, and Kodi depends on precise inflexible pathing).

You must keep TV and their scrapers, separate sources from Movies and their scrapers.

Trying to be helpful here: The 'video button' on the home screen should have been called the Video Maintenance button, but we didn't have enough room on the interface for the long word. You create sources, change scrapers, scanning, set content etc.. here with the context menu. All the other buttons deal with content you have scraped into your library and becomes the way you pick & choose videos to watch. There is a great temptation to forgo the library and just use the Video Maintenance button exclusively (most of the Kodi player features are available) but without the library, search, and a lot of the extras; like smart playlists and nodes will not be available in this mode.

As one accumulates collections, the Movie/TV buttons offer large choices that become too cumbersome to navigate. You will eventually see were smart-playlists, nodes and other methods of favourites; slice & dice a large collection with ease. I suggest you try to keep folder sources of genre or alphabetical titles to keep some sensible method of collection for ease of maintenance (deletions additions extras etc).
Thank you for the feedback, CrystalP and PatK.  It’s good to get insight from the top.
The folder-placement answer seems pretty straightforward – I will root my Movie and TV Show folders right off the drive letter.  Actually, this was my first thought before I found that article that mentioned putting them inside one of the media folders.
As for scrapers, I’m only running whatever downloaded with the Kodi program (TMDB, I think).  I’m not experienced enough yet to add scrapers, skins, etc.
Interesting point about Movie folders, PatK!
If I understand you correctly, you’d recommend building a sorting mechanism into the naming convention for the Movie folders. 
So, instead of one huge folder named “Movies” with 1000 videos, I can set up any number of smaller folders named in a way that makes sense to me. 
Like “Movies, 1940s Noir,”  “Movies, Comedy,” or “Movies, Clint Eastwood.”
I like that and that’s how I had them organized on my old hard drive, but I abandoned the idea when I didn’t see it mentioned in the Kodi forums or Wiki (although I really didn’t look much).
So, I’m currently in the process of moving all my videos out of the immense iTunes “Media” folder back into their original "genre" folders before I place them on the Kodi hard drive.  I’m glad to see I can do that with Kodi.
Might be of use... https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beginners Questions: File Folder, Deleting Files, and Context Menu0