Launching Kodi in Raspberry Pi OS prevents Chromium from video playback
I have run across a bug in the latest stable 64 bit version of Raspberry PI OS on the 4GB Pi 5. If I install Kodi using "Sudo Apt Install Kodi" and open it, Chromium can no longer playback videos.
Instead of the video playing it will freeze and you will just get a circle like it is trying to load the video. At first rebooting the Pi will get Chromium working again, but eventually no amount of reboots will fix it.

I was easily able to duplicate this with a fresh install of Pi OS. I test to make sure videos on YouTube, Netflix, etc playback fine then install and launch Kodi. Once I exit Kodi the videos no longer playback. 

Not sure if the bug is with Pi OS or Kodi, but this is a pretty serious bug for people trying to use Pi OS for HTPC uses. My workaround was to just do a fresh install of Pi OS and use something else besides Kodi for media on my server.
I would prefer to use Kodi if possible and wonder if this issue can be fixed.
I continue to test and Kodi is not the culprit. It is some kind of bug in the current version of Chromium or Pi OS. Even without Kodi installed I started getting the no video loading problem. That and the @ and " keys on my keyboard are now reversed in the most recent version. Bookworm is just a mess and I may give it a pass for awhile and just use Libreelec.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Launching Kodi in Raspberry Pi OS prevents Chromium from video playback0