Add Movies and TV Shows items to main menu
Hello community,

I've been so frustrated with this simple task: I'd like to add "Fairy Tales" and "Fairy Tales TV shows" items to the main menu - I want to have them completely separate from "Movies" and "TV Shows". I don't want to mix adult and kids content, i.e. show violent scenes while we're browsing for fairy tales. And I don't want to use any submenus or groups, that's sketchy for me and confusing for other family members.

The best I could do was to replace some of the menu items (i.e. Weather and Addons) for the two. I've created movie and resources in media from the corresponding folders on the hard drive. Actually two different types - one says "Item" and they don't work, when added to the menu item (just not showing content, only some generic menu to seek for content). The other type is
Code:
Videos, special://profile/addon_data/script.skinshortcuts/1.xsp
and I believe the only way I could add it was making the folder "Favourite" and then select it from "Favourite" resource group. That would be OK, but it shows ALL the movies, not only movies from given folder (which are only fairy tales). Same for TV shows and Fairy Tale TV shows/serires.

For comparison, the default Movies are `Videos,videodb://movies/titles/`.

Any suggestion to fix it is appreciated :-)

I wouldn't mind even editing an XML(s), if that was an option. Preferably not tweaking code and recompiling and reflashing everything, though.
What method have you used to separate your fairy tale content from the rest of the content?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Apologies, if I didn't make myself clear probably :-).

I have folder structure from old media center setup on the HDD like:
  • Movies
  • Fairy Tales
  • Series
  • Fairy Tale Series
  • Music Videos
  • Photos
So the "Movies" and "Series" (TV shows) were simple enough (after few hours of googling and youtubing :-D) - set via Basic --> Movies --> Selected root, /media/<my_hdd>. Something like that - I have to translate the terms I see to English...

For the "Fairy Tales" and "Fairy Tale Series" I first went to Settings --> Library --> Viedos... --> Add Videos... and on the HDD found folder "Fairy Tales" and same for fairy tale series. Then I somehow added them to Favourites. Then went back to menu editor and selected Movies --> Favourites --> "Fairy Tales" (and same for "Fairy Tale Series"). But it doesn't show only the "Fairy Tale/s Series" folders content, but all movies/series.
(2024-03-16, 11:40)Oak77 Wrote: I first went to Settings --> Library --> Viedos... --> Add Videos... and on the HDD found folder "Fairy Tales" and same for fairy tale series.
It does not sound like you have scraped the movies and tv shows into your library. Have you done that?
https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources

Then I would use a Smart Playlist to separate the content, then add the smart playlist as the menu item... https://kodi.wiki/view/Smart_playlists/GUI_Method
There is a guide for how to do that for Aeon Nox Silvo here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_home_items/Aeon_Nox_Silvo
It is very similar to the process for Arctic Zephyr Reloaded. (Most skins use the same method)

(2024-03-16, 11:40)Oak77 Wrote: But it doesn't show only the "Fairy Tale/s Series" folders content, but all movies/series.
I don't know why that would be happening, unless you have made a mistake setting up your Sources.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2024-03-16, 20:47)Karellen Wrote: It does not sound like you have scraped the movies and tv shows into your library. Have you done that?

So apparently I've done that and actually it works, it was just hidden. What everyone at home was confused about is the "preview", that shows DVD covers and one can browse through them and play the movie from there. We all thought that the preview was actually the selected category content. The preview is for some reason identical for most of the selected categories (Movies, Fairy Tales, TV Shows, ... even Settings).

When we press OK to enter the selected category (i.e. "Movies"), then we see a list of correct movie titles (the content that should be there for selected category).

So I think, the correct question supposed to be "how to fix preview of selected category". There the content is always same and lists DVD covers movies from different folders mixed together (I think it's Movies and Fairy Tales together, probably because the content is both of type "Video"). And this problem might be to some extent specific to Amber skin - correct? Of course if not, any suggestion appreciated Smile .

@Karellen As for suggested tutorials, they're pretty neat and I'm sure the "Smart Playlist" feature will come handy. Looks like it's great, with it's configuration options. Thank you very much for this suggestion!
...I forgot to mention, that I wasn't able to achieve the configuration in Arctic Zephyr and tried Amber, where I more or less succeeded. So I might be now off topic in this forum category, which I understand.
I finished setting up Zephyr with multiple menu items for different folders. The key was to create Smart Playlists and then assign a particular playlist to the item menu. Then for each item, create a widget pointing to the directory to show correct previews. Now it's working great :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add Movies and TV Shows items to main menu0