Kodi Omega 21.0 on Google Play Store
I can't find Kodi Omega 21.0 on Google Play Store. Am I expecting it too soon?

I think I got noticed a while ago within Kodi,  of Kodi Omega, but has not been given the option to update my Kodi 20.5 install.

I run Kodi on a NVIDIA Shield.

regards Per
Its available on Kodis download page.
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android...pk?https=1
If it is the Shield Pro (64bit) you have.
Currently it's on the testing stream in the Play Store.

Once it's had a while for any issue reports to surface and be sorted, it will be switched over.
We always take this one more slowly, as most people have the Play Store set to auto-update apps, and people always moan when that happens without their intent (even though it's not done by us and has to be configured on the store by them).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks DarrenHill, I'll just wait a bit longer then....

(And also thanks MatteN, but I just don't feel comfortable of installing from apk's)

regards

Per
Just put the apk in your Shields Download folder or use https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Kodi_Android_Installer
(2024-04-14, 17:27)DarrenHill Wrote: Currently it's on the testing stream in the Play Store.

Once it's had a while for any issue reports to surface and be sorted, it will be switched over.
We always take this one more slowly, as most people have the Play Store set to auto-update apps, and people always moan when that happens without their intent (even though it's not done by us and has to be configured on the store by them).
Being conservative is good, but when the kodi.tv download page explicitly says "Kodi 21 (Omega)", and you click on "Play Store", and then you see a "Whats New .... /20.5" - then that's quite confusing for the same people you're trying to help.

Aka: maybe update that version number on the download page only when the version on the playstore (non testing) is updated (next time around ;-)
There is some validity to that idea. It just gets a bit complicated as the APK's also linked from that page are Omega v21.

It's actually slightly worse even than that, as I think the Huawei link is still v20.1.
But at least the Play Store one should actually be Omega fairly soon, once the full release is triggered (and no doubt the usual flood of moaning ensues).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Note that on Chromecasts with Android 14, you cant run APKs ... unless someone can tell me how to get that to work ... due to the new Android security restrictions. So the only way to upgrade to Omega is via the Play Store. This is one of the few reasons why I am happy that Nvidia has not upgraded the Shield because I have many more of them. Omega is running well for me!
(2024-04-25, 01:42)bfgane Wrote: Note that on Chromecasts with Android 14, you cant run APKs ... unless someone can tell me how to get that to work ... due to the new Android security restrictions. So the only way to upgrade to Omega is via the Play Store. This is one of the few reasons why I am happy that Nvidia has not upgraded the Shield because I have many more of them. Omega is running well for me!
Install Downloader by AFTVnews from the Google Play Store on your device.

Enable Developer Options on your Chromecast:

Open the side menu on your Chromecast.

Navigate to Settings > System > About.

Scroll down to the Android TV OS build section and tap it repeatedly until a toast message appears, indicating that you're close to becoming a developer.

Turn on the "unknown sources" setting:
Return to the main Settings page.

Choose Apps > Security & Restrictions > Unknown sources.
Toggle the switch to enable unknown sources.

Open Downloader and enter the URL/code:
Enter either the code "242913" or the URL "https://kodi.tv/download/android/" in Downloader.

Select the 32-bit version, let it download, and then proceed with the installation.
v21 update appeared yesterday for me, even though the store says the update date is from early April. Strange.
It's been in the testing loop there for a while (unsurprisingly since early April Wink ), and the full release program is now underway.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Omega 21.0 on Google Play Store0