Omega Update - 4k movies now stutter and stop; crashes - Debut Log linked
OS and Box: The Android box I'm using is an Onn 4k (v1) with Android TV OS version 12.
Debug Log:  qedawimuzi (paste)

Issue: Last night the Google Play Store pushed Nexus v21.0. 4k movie files now stutter within a few minutes of playing.  If I attempt to skip any amount of time, it will immediately enter the stuttering playback. It is worse than stuttering - basically the video freezes and then, in some instances, it will start back up but for less than a second before refreezing. Sometimes a bit longer. It never recovers.
Sometimes the caching logo comes up but never climbs about 5. It is now unusable for 4k files. I'm streaming from a Windows 10 machine via SMB.
It may also be worth noting that Kodi has crashed a few times - I've never previously had it crash.

Playback of 1080p files does not exhibit this problem.

Other than the new update, I have not made any changes to Kodi.  I tried playing the exact file that I watched without issue last week (which was also the last time I used Kodi) and the stuttering occurred there.  I am also able to play these files with no issue on the Onn box using a non-Kodi player. It is clearly something with Omega.  My Onn box has not received any updates since I last used Kodi with no issues (prior to the Omega update).

I made various changes to SMB chunk and cache sizes, and other suggestions I read on these forums for stuttering, and none of them resolved the issue.

Thank you for your assistance. I see that several others have reported this issue recently so figured I would also upload a debug log in hopes this can be resolved.
Changing the Audio Passthrough output device to "AudioTrack (RAW), Android IEC Packer" seems to have resolved the issue.  Alas, this should not be deemed an acceptable long-term solution (see below) and further investigation in the default packer is warranted.

This setting is as follows:
Settings - > Audio -> Passthrough Output Device (under the "Audio Passthrough" heading -> Select AudioTrack (RAW), Android IEC Packer

The default device (& "Recommended" choice) has always been "AudioTrack (IEC), Kodi IEC Packer." Choosing AudioTrack (RAW), Android IEC Packer should not be considered an acceptable long-term solution because it does not pass through DTS.  Thus, this is really just a stop-gap solution until the issue with AudioTrack (IEC) is further investigated.

Other settings I tried switching to determine if they would resolve the issue included changes to: SMB cache, cache read, Audio Decoder Output Configuration, Adjust Display refresh rate, toggling off/on HDR 10+ & Dolby Vision support (under the "Allowed HDR dynamic metadata formats" settings). None of these other changes made any impact. IIRC, turning on Sync Playback to Display may have resolved the issue as well (this eliminates pass through so would be consistent with the above finding).
(2024-04-29, 09:54)Atak_all Wrote: Changing the Audio Passthrough output device to "AudioTrack (RAW), Android IEC Packer" seems to have resolved the issue. 

As now this seems audio related only, are you read this?

Audio changes for upcoming v21

especially:
xml:
<advancedsettings>
  <audio>
    <superviseaudiodelay>true</superviseaudiodelay>
  </audio>
</advancedsettings>

But what doesn't fit here is this:
(2024-04-28, 05:17)Atak_all Wrote: It is now unusable for 4k files.
(2024-04-28, 05:17)Atak_all Wrote: Playback of 1080p files does not exhibit this problem.

Why only 4K files if is audio related?
We have found a thing that may cause high CPU load, especially playing Dolby Vision video + E-AC3 (Atmos) audio files.

This build includes a fix for this:

ARM:
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andr...bi-v7a.apk

ARM64:
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andr...64-v8a.apk

Try it if you have a chance and test with same video which had problems.
Thank you for your hard work!

It seemed this could relate to my issue as well.

I have tried this build on my Firecube 3rd gen, but any of my 4k dolby and atmos movies are still showing multiple stutters throughout the movie. It plays well for 5-10min and then it starts to stutter/lag a big time.

My tv doesn’t support DV so I toggled it off though.
Post debug log
Would this work?

https://paste.kodi.tv/obepisoxun

Thank you!
The forum moderators have determined that banned addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.
(2024-05-02, 16:28)jogal Wrote: We have found a thing that may cause high CPU load, especially playing Dolby Vision video + E-AC3 (Atmos) audio files.

Getting the stuttering as well under certain conditions. What I found was that if using the skip function in rapid succession it can cause the stuttering.
Have the > and < function keys set to Fwd 30sec and Bak 30sec -
If I skip Fwd once, wait a sec, then skip Fwd again all seems to be ok - so if you wait between key presses no matter how many time you repeat this sequence all is ok.
But if you hit the Fwd in quick succession then the stuttering starts

Found that when it happens hit the Bak 30sec and that seems to fix it.
(2024-05-02, 16:28)jogal Wrote: We have found a thing that may cause high CPU load, especially playing Dolby Vision video + E-AC3 (Atmos) audio files.

This build includes a fix for this:

ARM:
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andr...bi-v7a.apk

ARM64:
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andr...64-v8a.apk

Try it if you have a chance and test with same video which had problems.

Hi Jogal, I am also experiencing the same issue when viewing 4K files on my Nvidia Shield Pro.

I have downloaded the ARM64 file, but it has made no difference.

Experience is:
  • Juddering picture and audio. This is temporarily resolved when stopping and starting the movie
  • If i fast forward for 20-30 seconds and then play, the picture invariably freezes and I cannot do any more other than restart the device
  • Kodi 20.0.1 (following download of ARM64 file)
  • Hardware Denon AVC-X4800H / NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro
  • File size approx 51Gb / HDR 10 / Dolby TrueHD

Let me know if you require any more details.
(2024-05-07, 23:13)ARAM10 Wrote: Let me know if you require any more details.

debug log
Is there a specific component that you would also like me to capture?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Omega Update - 4k movies now stutter and stop; crashes - Debut Log linked0