I just wanted to extend my appreciation to everyone who has contributed to XBMC
I have been a user of XBMC on my original Xbox console for many years. Heck, all the way back to the XBMP days (time flies!). However, my Xbox has seen less and less use over the past couple of years. With the rise of HDTV, I would reencode my TV shows and films to 540p to play them at a sort of half-HD, which was all the Xbox could handle. I still play some games on it, though.

Now, with my video library alone encompassing some 5TB, I had no choice but to replace it with a HTPC. Today, that HTPC uses Vista Media Center. Every time I loaded Media Center, I'd glance over to the Xbox, wishing that Media Center were a little more like XBMC -- or at the very least, somewhat more customizable like XBMC was. I had to settle for a crappy solution with awful software, basically, I had to manually add in a shared path on my server, then to watch anything, I had to manually browse to it and load it up. Hardly elegant for Microsoft's "best" media program.

A couple of hours ago, I had this urge to check out how XBMC for Windows was doing. Lo and behold, there it was: beta 2. I hurriedly installed it, and after a couple of hours of frantically searching the wiki, editing XMLs and whipping up some regex for my library, I finally figured out how to automatically search my library and add everything with full IMDB/TVDB details.

I LOVE YOU GUYS! I have never had any media software as versatile as XBMC. From its skinning system to the custom media player, and from its media library to its plugins, XBMC is the single most amazing piece of software I have ever used. And this is coming from a man who makes a living using software that costs thousands of dollars. Yes, the best software I have ever used is free.

Please, keep up the great work. You guys have made my life so much easier with XBMC for Windows. Laugh
Thanks, and welcome to the forums - always nice to hear success stories Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Another long-time user here wanting to extend appreciation. I've been on multi-million dollar software development projects not half run as well as XBMC. Not to mention you're releasing on four (plus) platforms with devs scattered all over the globe. It's an amazing effort and an amazing product. Thank you!
I agree, even though i was told, VERY angrily and rudely Oo , that there would NEVER be a port to anything else because of too much labor involved.

With that said, I have always loved XBMC and the fact that they did put in the countless hours of labor to port it is much much appreciated! Nod

So, I give many kudos to all involved!

Keep up the good work!
Smile 
S__G Wrote:I LOVE YOU GUYS! I have never had any media software as versatile as XBMC. From its skinning system to the custom media player, and from its media library to its plugins, XBMC is the single most amazing piece of software I have ever used. And this is coming from a man who makes a living using software that costs thousands of dollars. Yes, the best software I have ever used is free.

Please, keep up the great work. You guys have made my life so much easier with XBMC for Windows. Laugh

Well said. I couldn't agree more on all points. I write software for very high-end home integration system touch panels and *they* aren't even as slick in most cases. I'm currently learning C++ and hope someday soon to be able to give something back...I LOVE this project.

Anyway, the point is I'm glad too see someone started a thank you thread. It's well deserved and long over-due for all the hard work these guys do for us. Big Grin
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
Lightbulb 
TechLife Wrote:I write software for very high-end home integration system touch panels and *they* aren't even as slick in most cases. I'm currently learning C++ and hope someday soon to be able to give something back.
More intuitive one finger touchscreen (same as one button mouse) GUI support would be more than welcomed Nod
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Gamester17 Wrote:More intuitive one finger touchscreen (same as one button mouse) GUI support would be more than welcomed Nod

Agreed! I'm thinking of completing an LCARS skin i started work on over a year ago before my xbox died and improved touchscreen support would be most excellent indeed!
I'd like to echo the sentiments of everybody else in this thread. I was a heavy XMBC user on the xbox a few years back but migrated into the HTPC realm after the trusty old box struggled to keep up with high def rips and I ended up falling out of the XBMC scene.

When I saw that XMBC was being ported to windows a few months ago I was ecstatic and couldn't believe my good fortune to be able to once again use what I've always considered the best HTPC software, bar none.

You guys have done an amazing job with extending this into the windows realm and the skinning folks have just taken it to an unbelievable level. I know you guys get bugged and nagged alot and dont get to hear thanks as often as you should and I wanted to just say, thank you.

I know you put in unbelievable hours for free for the benefit of complete strangers and I cannot say how totally cool and appreciated that is by me. I wish there was a fund we could donate to just to buy you guys something in appreciation, because this truly is going to be the go to application for HTPC usage once it matures.

Hats off guys.
Dan
timdog82001 Wrote:
Gamester17 Wrote:More intuitive one finger touchscreen (same as one button mouse) GUI support would be more than welcomed Nod
Agreed! ...improved touchscreen support would be most excellent indeed!
More discussion on this here => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=245
I have a feeling I'm not quite ready to tackle that yet but it is certainly something that I had in mind - I'll do my homework and see what I can do =)
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I just wanted to extend my appreciation to everyone who has contributed to XBMC0