Anyone here used the Drobo?
SMB = file sharing protocol

Drobo is soo expensive, you could just build a $200 computer, run TinyXP on it, and probably put more than 4 SATA drives in it anyway.
slippy Wrote:Many thanks for all the great replies

Firstly, what is SMB?

Secondly, On the drobo site it says the drobo can hold up to 16TB and they said using drobo share you can plug another drobo and get 32TB of HDD space. How is this possible if the drobo only has 4 bays and currently the largest HDD is 1TB so that should be 4TB in total and not 16TB or 32TB?

Not sure why it states 16GB, but the largest on the market is 1.5TB which makes it capable of holding 6TB of data.

And I agree, it is a bit expensive... But for what it does, it does it well.
Inimical Wrote:Not sure why it states 16GB, but the largest on the market is 1.5TB which makes it capable of holding 6TB of data.

And I agree, it is a bit expensive... But for what it does, it does it well.
It states that because:

a) The theoretical limit of the platform allows for 16TB.
b) Gullible customers will believe it today and fork out the money.
ashlar Wrote:It states that because:

a) The theoretical limit of the platform allows for 16TB.
b) Gullible customers will believe it today and fork out the money.

Yup I read the site it supports up to 16TB... meaning if there were 4TB drives out today, Drobo would support them (4TB X4 drives = ~16TB). Since largest drive available is 1.5TB as previously stated the actual storage is 6TB...

Even 6TB is NOT true. Assuming you want your data protected, that protection costs space... With 4 1.5TB drives you would essentially have ~4.5TB of usable space. I say ~ because advertised HDD space is not actual space as we all know after format.

Real funny thing if you look at their support page is they have de-supported the seagate 1.5TB drives with the drobo due to drive issues. I have read reports of seagate issues in arrays but this could also be a firmware issue as well.

The Drobo Share supports 2 Drobo's for a "combined" storage of 32TB... well again this assumes there are 4TB out there which there isn't....

But basically says you can hook up 2 drobos to 1 droboshare.... I am just guessing here but even though you only have 1 droboshare, each drobo connected to it would still be separate like 2 distinct HDDs. I don't think the drobo shares can "pool" and manage data on 2 drobos to act like 1 large volume but who knowsHuh?

I also find it odd that it is very difficult for a non-drobo owner to access their forums... I have a beta acct at least so maybe its just the fact that I have an old acct... I essentially can't access much of their forums without a serial number from a drobo...
I get it now! Many thanks for all your replies guys. It's crazy how these companies suck in their customers with BS statements of how you get 16TB, it's so misleading.

I see the drobo as a nice idea but a bit too expensive. I have a 500GB USB 2.0 HDD. I get about 465GB of usable data. If I daisy chain 20 of them that would give me 10TB and 9.3TB of usable data. I won't have raid features. But it would be far cheaper. I haven't daisy chained before. So I got a little question!

When daisy chaining will all the drives appear as 1 big one of 9.3TB?

If not then I would have 20 HDD's in my computer, totalling 9.3TB of usable data but then I can add all movies from each HDD all into 1 library in XBMC is that correct?

Lastly people like raid because of the redundancy. If you lose a movie or file you can restore it and the HDD rebuilds the lost data. In this setup I want to do you won't get that, but it wouldn't matter. As if I do lose a movie I can just rip the DVD again and have access to it again. So it wouldn't matter right?

Sorry for all the questions

Many thanks in advance
slippy Wrote:Lastly people like raid because of the redundancy. If you lose a movie or file you can restore it and the HDD rebuilds the lost data. In this setup I want to do you won't get that, but it wouldn't matter. As if I do lose a movie I can just rip the DVD again and have access to it again. So it wouldn't matter right?
Right. Pictures are what is usually really irreplaceable. For those I'd use local and online backup (given that the aggregate size is manageable for both).

Regarding your project, if I were you I'd give a look to either FlexRAID, unRAID or disParity. And before you ask, yes parity works like that: with a single hard drive (which has to be the biggest or equal to the biggest in your array) you are protected against one disk failure, no matter how many disks are in the array.

http://www.flexraid.com
http://lime-technology.com/
http://www.vilett.com/disParity/
dandirk Wrote:I also find it odd that it is very difficult for a non-drobo owner to access their forums... I have a beta acct at least so maybe its just the fact that I have an old acct... I essentially can't access much of their forums without a serial number from a drobo...

Agreed, bad move on their end. I can only assume they lose potential customers by restricting the free flow of information.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone here used the Drobo?0