Xubuntu and XBMC
Hi,

Gonna fresh install XBMC tomorrow. Is Xubuntu a good candidate as I like the idea of a small memory footprint.

The PC will run XBMC only.

Any drawbacks?

Kryspy
I've been running Ubuntu with the Xfce Window manager for while now & find its definitely easier on the cpu. I especially like the way you can access the menu by clicking anywhere on the desktop.

When I built my Htpc it was with Xfce from start so I couldn't tell you if it has a more positive effect than Gnome or Kde. But I've had no more problems than anyone else on here.
Xbmc 9.11 Alpha 2 r24548 (Compiled Nov 5th 2009) PPA | Ubuntu 9.04 | Mobo Asus (P5N7A-VM) |CPU E5200 | 4Gig RAM DDR2 667 | http://www.myspace.com/schizonaturals
It's possible to run XBMC with no window manager at all actually. There's a thread or two here on how to do it, you might also look at the live XBMC image that's out there - it's pretty stripped down!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Ya,

Problem is I still need to set up samba shares between the second partition and a Windows XP box.

The secondary 450 GB partiton holds all my media files.

Kryspy
450 not going to last you long! Look into a NAS, I use unRAID and find that it handles my needs well. Obviously there are others but you're going to quickly run out of space if you keep much online at once. I have ALL of my media online and having it so easily accessible rocks.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK,

Yeah I hear ya. The drive has just under 200 GB left now. I dabbled with freeNAS and it fit the bill just fine.

I will most likely go that route again once this drive gets near full.

Kryspy
Kryspy Wrote:Ya,

Problem is I still need to set up samba shares between the second partition and a Windows XP box.

The secondary 450 GB partiton holds all my media files.

Kryspy

You don't need a window manager to do that, you can configure samba fully from the command line. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Settin...figuration

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xubuntu and XBMC0