Small Usability Tweaks
Been using heavily modified MediaPortal for past 2 years, and am just loving XMBC! You guys have done fine work here!

Made the final switch to it this weekend. (Finally got it working with my second monitor/LCD, Vista64 remote, and the new ffmpeg posted in the forums makes playback smooth on my quadcore.) Thank you!

I've only had a few hours to play with it thus far, so kindly forgive any ignorance. I figure fresh impressions from an experienced MP user could be worthwhile, so here are my suggestions:

- I miss the way MP handled skipping forward/back. By pressing quickly in succession: once skips 15 seconds, twice = 30 secs, 3x = 1 minute, 4x = 3 mins, 5x = 10 mins, 6x = 30 mins, 7x 1 hour, etc. (User-adjustable, but frankly the defaults are all you really need.)

- A "delete" menu item w/confirmation, to easily delete a video. (Or did I just miss that?)

- Could you make the "Info" menu and "Menu" menu use the same key when browsing videos? Is there a conflict? It'd save a button on my remote!

- Could the "Backspace" button always go "Back"? If I bring up movie details, I have to use the "End" button to close the dialog. Dialogs and settings-screens should use "Back" to close too. (Maybe I can do these myself with a custom keymap.xml?)

- Built-in support to open on second (selectable) monitor (of different resolution). (I see there's work being done here. Can't wait to dump Ultramon!)

- I have a very large movie/tv database (thousands of files) and so it took a LONG time to update the database. I had several crashes while it was doing so, especially if I tried to do other things inside XBMC while it was updating. Since large databases are becoming more common, it might be worth investing in a multi-threaded look-up, rather than just the background thread it seems to use now?

- Having "TV" and "Movies" as top-level menus would be nice, since they're both different viewing activities. I currently have them both listed under "Videos" as different sources, of course, but if I want to switch it means navigating through several trees and losing my current location. Nitpick, I know.

- The default "swoop" sound gets annoying over time. (XBMC graphics are much nicer than MP's, but not its sounds.)
Hi there and welcome!

1. We have small and big skip - this covers most bases I find. You can always type in a number as well to go to a specific location.

2. Settings->Appearance->File Lists.

3. Assuming you mean "Movie Information" and "Context Menu", then yes - the former is one of the items in the latter.

4. Yes - all keymappable. By default "backspace" on the keyboard does this.

5. Yes, we're wanting to improve the resolution setting things - there's still a lot of code hanging around from the xbox.

6. Lookup speed in my experience is limited primarily by the speed of the next connection (being on a slow one) - it's also not properly transaction(ed) at the moment. Expect improvements in this area.

7. This is all skinnable - many skins offer these as options.

8. Feel free to volunteer to find some better sounds Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Small Usability Tweaks0