Audio Hardware Help
Hi All,
I've searched high and low through these forums to see if I could find someone who could recommend a sound card that can play 5.1 surround sound via an optical SP/DIF output without much success, and I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for what to buy.

The old XBox XBMC was easy to plug into my sound system's Dolby decoder, however with the new PC XBMC sitting in my living room, it's not as easy. I don't have a built in SP/DIF on the motherboard's audio header, so at the moment, I'm feeding the sound via the HMDI port on the graphics card to the TV, then via the stereo output to the sound system. I'd like to replace that with a sound card that can handle 5.1 Dobly Digital/DTS and this is where I've become sort of stuck.

There's been mention on these forums of Azuntech cards (X-Plosion and Prelude) a while back, but a search online threw up a price tag of over £100 for the Prelude, and roughly £60 for the X-Plosion (Although Kikatek were out of stock). I was, however, looking for something slightly cheaper due to not wanting to double the build cost on one component. Wink I did take a look at the Creative Labs X-FI Xtreme card, but since the description mentioned that you'd have to download PowerDVD to experience 5.1 audio, I was unsure if Dolby audio on that card was a software driven setup that required certain applications to function. I think the bottom line is that I'd hate to go spend a fortune on a sound card to find that it doesn't really work in XBMC and that I've bought a lemon. Smile

If anyone can pass on some of their experiences with audio hardware I'd seriously appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. Smile

Cheerie,
Monty
I have the Diamond 7.1 DDL one and it works fine. Was about $30 USD after a rebate.

http://diamondmm.com/XS71DDL.php
Thanks very much for your help. It's seriously appreciated. Smile

Cheerie,
Monty

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Hardware Help0