Getting tv next week, some final questions.
Smile 
My tv should be arriving next week, and I've few questions before installing XBMC.

1. Should I upgrade to the latest 2.3 OS before running the patchstick?
2. Should I mount an SMB share or try to find a way to mount an AFP share in the Apple TV first?
3. If 2 is yes, Is it possible to auto-mount an AFP share in the Apple TV? Maybe some terminal command?
4. How's the streaming performance with this device? I set up XBMC on my MacBook Pro (802.11n) and it works perfectly. Will I get similar performance with the Apple TV?
5. Is it safe to let the Apple TV auto update?
6. Can I create backups of the library data if a hardware restore should be required for any reason?
7. Is is recommended to install additional skins?
8. If 7 is yes, how difficult is it? Is it just copying stuff over via SSH?
9. Has anyone run the Focus skin on this device? How's the performance?
10. I've noticed some tearing during playback of XviD movies on my MacBook Pro. I guess it's just a matter of setting the right de-interlace or scaling algorithm. Does this happen on the Apple TV too? Will I get clean and smooth playback?

I'll keep browsing the forum and check out a few more things. Feel free to answer and/or add any info you might think is relevant.

Thanks a lot.
I am also getting an ATV soon and have the same questions.
I've been playing around with a MacBook connected via HDMI to my TV to get used to XBMC. It's been working fine, streaming from the Airport Disk upstairs without any major issues.

However, the tearing during playback really worries me. Is not a problem of the video card, as the tearing does not appear using QuickTime or VLC. I've treid every scalling method there is and it's still there. Is this an issue with the OSX port of XBMC?
1. Don't, reason: see 2.
2. AFP works fine if you install NitoTV that will work with 2.2 OS
3. With NitoTV you will be able to auto-mount.
4. Streaming works perfectly as long as the bitrate of the files is not to high.
5. Don't, reason: see 2. You will be able to disable the auto update with the latest XBMC/Boxee launcher.
6. Sure. Easiest way with SFTP (I use FileZilla or MacFusion)
7. Depends on what you prefer.
8. You just have to copy the skin to the folder "users/frontrow/library/application support/XBMC/skin"
9. Focus doesn't work on my AppleTV, but Aeon, Mediastream and Horizonz do
10. The solution is just a click away: enable v-sync in settings/appearance
feikenberg Wrote:1. Don't, reason: see 2.
2. AFP works fine if you install NitoTV that will work with 2.2 OS
3. With NitoTV you will be able to auto-mount.
4. Streaming works perfectly as long as the bitrate of the files is not to high.
5. Don't, reason: see 2. You will be able to disable the auto update with the latest XBMC/Boxee launcher.
6. Sure. Easiest way with SFTP (I use FileZilla or MacFusion)
7. Depends on what you prefer.
8. You just have to copy the skin to the folder "users/frontrow/library/application support/XBMC/skin"
9. Focus doesn't work on my AppleTV, but Aeon, Mediastream and Horizonz do
10. The solution is just a click away: enable v-sync in settings/appearance

10. Thanks man, I overlooked that small important detail.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting tv next week, some final questions.0